Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > I would like to suggest different threads in marketplace for WTB vs FS

I would like to suggest different threads in marketplace for WTB vs FS
trip
Forum Regular
Mar 30, 2005, 03:51 PM

I just think the WTB ads drop off the first page too quickly.

Please & Thanks,
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 31, 2005, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by trip:
I just think the WTB ads drop off the first page too quickly.

Please & Thanks,
You want 2 posts by a poster if they want to buy items as well as sell items, and at the same time have issues with threads dropping off the main page too quickly...?
Those statements contradict each other.

--Scott

Nick
Mar 31, 2005, 01:21 PM

Perhaps we should create a sub-forum for WTB topics?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2005, 01:45 PM

perhaps we should look at another option for the market place, there are many free auction scripts (hotscripts.com) that could better work for the market place. A MacNN ebay system for example, with user ratings, and comments and stuff. I would def devote my free time to help getting something liket that going.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 31, 2005, 02:01 PM

The system we have in place works pretty well. It's not perfect, but nothing is.
We have no interest in changing the system in the forseable future.

--Scott

trip  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2005, 08:22 PM

Scott,
These statements do not contradict each other. Think about it. If they were in different forums how would they drop off the page too quickly ? WTB would stay on the first page longer since their are far less posts all together. FS would also stay longer since WTB items would not be competing.

It was a suggestion - and a good one. Users tend to know.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 31, 2005, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by trip:
...Users tend to know.
Very true, and that's why both Lateralus and I are active traders in that forum, in addition to other places.

King_Rat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2005, 10:53 PM

I feel that we should let the buyer/seller decide if they want to post FS & WTB items in the same thread; sometimes the combination works out well and sometimes it does not. I see the multiple threads being a problem when we get one person posting a different thread for each of the 10 items that they are selling. Letting them split WTB & FS items in to 2 threads would not lead to much bloat at all. However, I would say that the FA & FT items should be lumped into the FS threads. Regradless of what approch is taken to the issue I would say that it should make it clear what the polcy is; when I read the rules that is somewhat of a gray area.

However, I don't see any real need for a sub-forum for FS & WTB. While a WTB may drop off the front page kind of quickly, I have found that the allowed 3 bumps for your own thread gives you plenty of front page time - if nobody responds to it after 3 bumps then it is just time to drop the issue.
( Last edited by King_Rat; Apr 12, 2005 at 11:26 PM. )
-King Rat

GayGayGayGayGay
Banned
Apr 11, 2005, 12:00 AM

I think we should just lock every single topic in the marketplace. That's what the mods want to do anyway. And no new posts either. Just lock everything, and let it stagnate. That'd be awesome. Could we get more rules and requirements also? FANTASTIC!

Forum Links
Forum Rules