Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 Quad audio-out pops and chirping

G5 Quad audio-out pops and chirping
MDD867
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 02:26 AM

My Quad's Audio-out minijack in the rear pops randomly with a few second intervals and I haven't been able to solve the issue.

Things done this far: Added a ground loop isolator to the audio cable as suggested in the Apple kbase document, and had an electrician check out that my outlets are properly grounded. No Help.

The front minijack doesn't pop, but if I connect my active speakers to it, I can hear the infamous chirp sound for example when using exposé. The chirps can't be heard from the rear minijack.

The audio-out still pops for a while even if I shut down my computer and disconnect all cables except the speaker cable. Yes, also the power cord is disconnected and my Quad still pops.

The remaining electricity in the power supply seems to leak to the audio-out port and cause these pops. My speakers are OK, they don't pop when connected to anywhere else than my Quad.

The popping starts when the computer has been on for several hours. Disconnecting the power and speaker cables seems to help for a few minutes until the popping starts again.

The computer is connected to an UPS. It doesn't make a difference if I connect the speakers to the UPS also.
( Last edited by MDD867; Dec 16, 2005 at 04:37 AM. )

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2005, 04:26 AM

There's something wrong with your computer. You shouldn't have pops and my quad doesn't chirp.

Forum Links
Forum Rules