Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PCI Rage 128 card in Mac

PCI Rage 128 card in Mac
iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2001, 05:01 AM

I'm curious. I saw a PCI Rage 128 card today, I think it was an ATI XPERT or something along those lines. The only problem is that it said it requires a Windows compatible computer. I'm curious, will it work in a Mac? If so, does it need the BIOS flashed? Will it be Quicktime accelerated? I want to know, because it was a good deal, and I want to get it. My Voodoo3 3000 is a nice card for 3D, but it's not good for anything 2D or Quicktime. It's especially bad for Quicktime stuff.

Or, if anybody knows where a better deal is for a Mac card, that'd be nice too. It was a 16 MB card for $49.99, at Best Buy.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

-Q-
Nov 7, 2001, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by iNub:
<STRONG>I'm curious. I saw a PCI Rage 128 card today, I think it was an ATI XPERT or something along those lines. The only problem is that it said it requires a Windows compatible computer. I'm curious, will it work in a Mac? If so, does it need the BIOS flashed? Will it be Quicktime accelerated? I want to know, because it was a good deal, and I want to get it. My Voodoo3 3000 is a nice card for 3D, but it's not good for anything 2D or Quicktime. It's especially bad for Quicktime stuff.

Or, if anybody knows where a better deal is for a Mac card, that'd be nice too. It was a 16 MB card for $49.99, at Best Buy.

Thanks in advance for any responses. </STRONG>
ATI hasn't ever made flashable ROMs for their cards, so I don't think you can take advantage of that deal. You'd need to find a mac-specific card if you're looking to use an ATI product...

Forum Links
Forum Rules