Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Experimental OS for MAC

Experimental OS for MAC
maczyboi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2008, 08:14 AM

Hey everybody my first post on this forum anyway I'm doing Operating Systems as a module in college and I want to put the theories I learn in class in to action. So I was thinking of writing a small OS for my Macbook. It won't be anything fancy; will probably have a command-line interface. I just want to make this to have a feel of making an OS. The problem is there are so many books written on how to compile a basic boot-loader for PC but nothing for Mac. I've been browsing the net for days trying to find specs for my Macbook but it just doesn't seem to be working out. Certain days I end up looking a little like this -->
I've asked most of my professors but they are familiar with only PCs 80386 up to Intel Pentium III. I was wondering if you guys could give me a few suggestions on where I can find books and material for doing something like this. and I have a Core 2 Duo on my Macbook, does anyone know if it is 32-bit or 64-bit?
The website doesn't say much. I can't call Apple cause there is no Tech support for Macbooks purchased in Sri Lanka (where I live).
Thanks
Madz

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 11:09 AM

Have you checked out openEFI?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 01:38 PM

A Core 2 Duo is 64-bit, but I would suggest trying to write a OS for a PC, not a Mac. If you want a good challenge, go right ahead.
Signature depreciated.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 02:41 PM

Since EFI is an intel and microsoft collaboration. Have you checked to see if there's any specifications written over on either site. I suspect intel will have some write ups on EFI.

I agree with CATS, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches by writing the OS for a PC. It will be difficult enough to bang out the code to get everything working, why bother adding the complexity of interfacing with EFI when there's so much information out there for BIOS.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2008, 03:00 PM

Use VirtualBox or Parallels or VMWare Fusion and you're problems go away. Just use the virtualized environment as your 'hardware'.

Plus you have some advantages of duplication/backup by simply copying the disc image.

Forum Links
Forum Rules