Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The New Power Mac Picture Thread

The New Power Mac Picture Thread (Page 16)
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Sorry to bust the Mac Pro party, but I just got my first modern professional Mac. Power Mac G4 533 MHz, 640 Mb of RAM. Great machine, still very speedy. Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics, my normal camera is broken.
Green speakers? Cool.

Edit: Just magnified the picture and saw that they're black with green LED. Never mind. My silver Creature II's have white LEDs, so I was momentarily confused.

mkerr64
Senior User
Feb 8, 2007, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by mavherzog View Post
What model Thinkpad is that?
i believe it is the r51
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2007, 04:24 PM

Hey there, finally got around to shooting up all the stuff around the house, sorry about the poor photography.

My PowerMac: Rev 2: 2.0, 2GB RAM, 200GB, 20", Lacie 160 GB D2.

The family PowerMac:
Rev 1, Dual 2.0, 4 GB RAM, 2X 200GB dual 20's.

I just love the clear design so much more than the platnum:

Ok, here is the server in the basement: For all the Mac and PC backups, Dell PowerEdge, Buffalo 1 Tb Terastation, Netgear firewall, and switch, Cisco Wifi access point power adapters.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 12:26 PM

Updated my setup a little bit and have better wallpaper now, so I took another shot of my 'Pro.

my 3GHz Mac Pro

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
My PowerMac:
Those logitech subs aren't shielded, and contain a pretty darn huge magnet. If you value your data, I'd suggest moving the sub away from your machine (you'll notice in the logitech manual, they suggest you keep the sub a minimum of 18" from a computer or TV- I made the mistake of putting mine under my TV, and ended up with a half purple screen (it was fixed as soon as I moved it, but shocking none the less).

A buddy of mine had a non-shielded Polk HT speaker sitting on top of his tower. 3 months later, his drive was so corrupted, it went kaput. Just 2c that might help.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
Updated my setup a little bit and have better wallpaper now, so I took another shot of my 'Pro.

my 3GHz Mac Pro

blakespot

Nice setup.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
Those logitech subs aren't shielded, and contain a pretty darn huge magnet. If you value your data, I'd suggest moving the sub away from your machine (you'll notice in the logitech manual, they suggest you keep the sub a minimum of 18" from a computer or TV- I made the mistake of putting mine under my TV, and ended up with a half purple screen (it was fixed as soon as I moved it, but shocking none the less).

A buddy of mine had a non-shielded Polk HT speaker sitting on top of his tower. 3 months later, his drive was so corrupted, it went kaput. Just 2c that might help.
Thanks.
( Last edited by Sub; Feb 14, 2007 at 06:28 PM. )

arng1
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2007, 11:43 PM

I had to edit my pics because ive made a few changes to my setup, also I had problems with my images so I had to repost.
Mac Pro 2.66ghz w/ 4gb of ram, ATI X1900, 2 Maxtor HD's in Raid-0 for boot, 1 seagate for backup, and another seagate for Vista.
23 inch Apple display and a 17 inch Envision display in portrait.
Got rid of my BT Apple mouse and Keyboard, went with a wired Apple Keyboard and a Logitech MX Revolution.
Wacom Intuos 6x11
Logitech Z-2300 speakers
Cinergy eyeTV
60gb iPod and an iPod shuffle 2nd gen.
Plus did any1 notice my stapler? Swingline...red lol

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks.
No problem.. Just wouldn't want to see you go through the same aggravation as my friend. (Though his fried HD was a windows based system, so it was probably actually a blessing )

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2007, 11:42 PM

A lot of people are really getting into that vertical widescreen on- the- side thing.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2007, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by arng1 View Post
Plus did any1 notice my stapler? Swingline...red lol
Excuse me, but I think you have my stapler.

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2007, 04:41 AM

here's an update from me:
MacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacMini, iPad, iPhone, and much more...

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2007, 04:33 PM

That's cool. Love the old next to the new.

arng1
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
Excuse me, but I think you have my stapler.
hahaha, i was hoping some1 would get it

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
That's cool. Love the old next to the new.
yeah, can you imagine a 8 years old computer still alive and kicking 24/7 as fileserver. I always challenge my PC friend on this... lol.

Jean-Loup
Feb 18, 2007, 02:01 AM

If someone is willing to host my pics, I'd love to share. Please let me know.

Thanks

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2007, 11:51 PM

There's many free image hosting websites. I'm using photobucket.com

Jean-Loup
Feb 19, 2007, 10:15 AM

Thanks Wei! Makes things easy

Here's my little home studio set up...excuse the mess:

Here's a detail of my mixer:

And here are my wonderfull monitors! I love Adam-Audio!!!

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2007, 10:50 AM

wow Jean-Loup, nice studio setup.
i'm still saving to get another screen.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2007, 06:09 PM

{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2007, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jean-Loup View Post
Thanks Wei! Makes things easy

Here's my little home studio set up...excuse the mess:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...ome_Studio.jpg

Here's a detail of my mixer:
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...355/DM1000.jpg

And here are my wonderfull monitors! I love Adam-Audio!!!
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...Audio_P11A.jpg
Very nice! Adams are phenomenal monitors. How is that Yamaha control surface with Pro Tools also how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking. I have been eyeing the control 8 but it looks like that Yamaha is more feature rich. I know in the past Digidesign likes to limit other brands to try to force the Pro Tools user to buy their gear.

Updated setup with the added 23" mainly for video playback in sessions.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Jean-Loup
Feb 24, 2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Very nice! Adams are phenomenal monitors. How is that Yamaha control surface with Pro Tools also how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking. I have been eyeing the control 8 but it looks like that Yamaha is more feature rich. I know in the past Digidesign likes to limit other brands to try to force the Pro Tools user to buy their gear.

Actually, the remote layer works great as a controler; it's 100% compatible. But it's NOT a controler, it's a console. It's the DM 2000's little brother. You get GREAT time effects (reverbs, delays, chorus, etc.) and great dynamic treatments (compressors, gates, expanders, etc.), A full set of EQs, 48 tracks plus 8 aux and 8 bus(six layers). Fully loaded a DM 1000 V2 with meter bridge will set you back around 8 000.00$ to 10 000.00 depending on the software package you want. You can also find one used for about 5 000.00$. It also works great as a controler for logic! I'm falling in love with Logic Pro for recording. It's still not as good as PT for editing but it beats the pants off it for recording! You have to see the effects in Logic Pro...WOW!

You have a nice set up yourself. what kind of mics, MIDI controlers, general equipement do you use?

I purchased the M-Audio axiom 49 this week...I'll post pics. As far as mics go here's my short list (planing on expanding thought) :

- Senheizer MD-421
- Shure SM7b
- Vintage AKG C414eb (with CK 12 caps)
- DC-96

Gosh! There I go ramblin' on again about sound eqipement! I have to stop myself or I'll be blabering on all day! Guess it's like that when you love your job.
( Last edited by Jean-Loup; Feb 24, 2007 at 03:51 PM. )

Jean-Loup
Feb 24, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by wei View Post
wow Jean-Loup, nice studio setup.
i'm still saving to get another screen.
Thanks man! It's comming along nicely. I still need to give the room a proper acoustical treatment...that's my next big step.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jean-Loup View Post
Actually, the remote layer works great as a controler; it's 100% compatible. But it's NOT a controler, it's a console. It's the DM 2000's little brother. You get GREAT time effects (reverbs, delays, chorus, etc.) and great dynamic treatments (compressors, gates, expanders, etc.), A full set of EQs, 48 tracks plus 8 aux and 8 bus(six layers). Fully loaded a DM 1000 V2 with meter bridge will set you back around 8 000.00$ to 10 000.00 depending on the software package you want. You can also find one used for about 5 000.00$. It also works great as a controler for logic! I'm falling in love with Logic Pro for recording. It's still not as good as PT for editing but it beats the pants off it for recording! You have to see the effects in Logic Pro...WOW!

You have a nice set up yourself. what kind of mics, MIDI controlers, general equipement do you use?

I purchased the M-Audio axiom 49 this week...I'll post pics. As far as mics go here's my short list (planing on expanding thought) :

- Senheizer MD-421
- Shure SM7b
- Vintage AKG C414eb (with CK 12 caps)
- DC-96

Gosh! There I go ramblin' on again about sound eqipement! I have to stop myself or I'll be blabering on all day! Guess it's like that when you love your job.
Ah OK, I didn't realize it was an actual console but it sounds fantastic. Right now my home workstation is more of a satellite mixing station so all I require on it is plug ins primarily. My work is mainly motion picture based so the only mics I own personally are a Neumann TLM 103 and a AT897 (AT Short) to timbre match field recordings. Even then I am not much of a dialog editor I have a guy that is excellent in that field, I am more of sound supervisor putting the finishing touches on mixes.

Dual 2.66Ghz Xeon Woodrcrests // 8800GT 512MB // 30" Apple Cinema Display // 8GB RAM // Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE // 64GB iPad LTE Verizon // Home Theater

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
I've been waiting for someone to do that, thanks.

Jean-Loup
Feb 28, 2007, 09:38 AM

Ah OK, I didn't realize it was an actual console but it sounds fantastic. Right now my home workstation is more of a satellite mixing station so all I require on it is plug ins primarily. My work is mainly motion picture based so the only mics I own personally are a Neumann TLM 103 and a AT897 (AT Short) to timbre match field recordings. Even then I am not much of a dialog editor I have a guy that is excellent in that field, I am more of sound supervisor putting the finishing touches on mixes.
I was thinking about controlers for you. Perhaps you should look into either the Projectmix I/O from M-Audio. It's a great controler really sturdy and all. It's actually a full soundcard too but you can use it as a controler with a Digi 002r...it's actually what I used to have before I got this DM 1000. Mackie also has come out with a new controler (Control Pro...or something like that). It looks pretty nice and has USB conectivity whch is better than the MIDI conectivity that their old controler had. I also like the option of adding more faders to the controler.

jcee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2007, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by blakespot View Post

my 3GHz Mac Pro

blakespot
What wallpaper is this?

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2007, 12:34 AM

blakespot, what is the model of the Hp monitor, I really like the portrait idea you've got there, I am thinking about doing the same thing. Is there any special software to install to run it in portrait mode like that?

wei
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2007, 12:49 AM

Sub: Just makesure you're using ATI graphic card,for MacPro case, only choice is X1900XT. Because nVidia's Mac driver still doesn't have the rotate function after so many years. But you can get it under Windows... I wonder why...

Parvez
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2007, 04:52 AM

I already asked this guy for the wallpaper. He gave me a website with a bad resolution image. I wanted him to upload the file but he never bothered to. I know this picture can be found in Mac. In my macbook, in screensaver mode, I saw this image but I don't know where the images are stored. It was the exact same image.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Parvez View Post
I already asked this guy for the wallpaper. He gave me a website with a bad resolution image. I wanted him to upload the file but he never bothered to. I know this picture can be found in Mac. In my macbook, in screensaver mode, I saw this image but I don't know where the images are stored. It was the exact same image.
It is close to that but I don't think it is the same image, nevertheless, look for it here:

your hard disk/System/Library/Screen Savers/

ctrl+clic on Cosmos.slideSaver --> Show Package Contents --> Contents/Resources

The closest I can think of is Cosmos04.jpg, copy it to anywhere like Pictures folder and choose it as desktop.

jcee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 01:20 PM

1024x768 res?

diotav
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 09:56 AM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 08:55 PM

^^ Nice and clean.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2007, 09:11 PM

I finally got my room clean enough to put my dualie up there, it's great having it all right there. I have looked at some of the other pictures you guys have been taking and I really love the creativity, the angles, lighting, etc.

So I tried experimenting and copying some of your guys's techniques.

::Image Lost::
( Last edited by Sub; Aug 27, 2007 at 07:57 AM. )

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 01:41 PM

Sub, what kind of digital camera are you using? It takes great pictures I notice.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 08:38 PM

If that was a compliment on my photography, thanks! I am a noob and am trying to learn a bit myself. I am using a Nikon D50 with the standard 18-55 MM lense. I think for the price, it takes great 6.1 MP shots, I shoot RAW by the way.

fluidstream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 09:36 PM

Just setting up a new office at home, notice the concrete floor (and unfinished door frames if you can see them), just picked up the Mac Pro (2.66GHZ/2GB/250GB/ATI Radeon X1900 XT/Bluetooth & Airport Extreme/Dual Channel 4GB Fibre Channel Card), and the 23 Inch display. Also ordered a couple of nice new Xserves, I'll post pics once they arrive...

The Desk:

The Toys:

Goodness:

Bob Marley
Mar 7, 2007, 10:41 PM

you guys are (cenosr) loaded...

damn man im still trying to fight w/ my mom for a refurbished $800 macbook nd you guys are runnin off with your 4gb ram quad core 3GHz mac pros... DAMN

G4 SUCKS#@@

What's that dock the iPods are always connected too?

fluidstream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 11:49 PM

The dock would be the iPod Dock. You can get them at the Apple Store, or most major Electronics retailers. And as for being loaded, just work hard and good things will come is the only advice I have to give.

asodamiac
Senior User
Mar 8, 2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by diotav View Post

Awesome setup! Would you mind sharing your wallpaper with us? Also, what kind of external HD is that?

Thanks
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

arng1
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Parvez View Post
Yeah, I think you asked me for the wallpaper. The link I gave you was where I got it from, unfortunately I couldnt find a clearer image. Since then Ive changed my wallpaper a couple times because I didnt like the resolution either. Sorry though.

edit: oh, and it was different than the one used for the mac screensaver.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2007, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by fluidstream View Post
Just setting up a new office at home, notice the concrete floor (and unfinished door frames if you can see them), just picked up the Mac Pro (2.66GHZ/2GB/250GB/ATI Radeon X1900 XT/Bluetooth & Airport Extreme/Dual Channel 4GB Fibre Channel Card), and the 23 Inch display. Also ordered a couple of nice new Xserves, I'll post pics once they arrive...

The Desk:

The Toys:

Goodness:
Do you have an obsession with Quiznos? I have one with Subway, so don't feel left out.

fluidstream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 09:36 PM

Haha, no not really, that was just yesterday's lunch I used to be obsessed with Quiznos, but I've cut back, barely eat four a month now

mkerr64
Senior User
Mar 9, 2007, 12:22 AM

My little guy

R.I.P Steve Jobs

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2007, 03:40 PM

If that was a compliment on my photography, thanks! I am a noob and am trying to learn a bit myself. I am using a Nikon D50 with the standard 18-55 MM lense. I think for the price, it takes great 6.1 MP shots, I shoot RAW by the way.

Yes it was a compliment.
Trying to find a good digital camera myself, but there are too many choices.

mkerr64
Senior User
Mar 9, 2007, 07:06 PM

i have the d200 with the 18-200 mm lense. i'd strongly suggest that on if you are willing to spend that much
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 09:42 PM

How do you stream the HD player into the Mac? I know it's by usb, but what program do you use to play the disc? Is it windows-only?

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by mkerr64 View Post
i have the d200 with the 18-200 mm lense. i'd strongly suggest that on if you are willing to spend that much
They are nice, but out of my price range.

mutelight
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 11, 2007, 03:18 AM

How do you stream the HD player into the Mac? I know it's by usb, but what program do you use to play the disc? Is it windows-only?
That just happened to be a video that I had playing. I use the 2nd display to playback mov and DV files that the picture editor delivers to me out of Pro Tools.

Forum Links
Forum Rules