Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail.app resetting sort order

Mail.app resetting sort order
sra
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2010, 06:39 PM

For some reason, Mail.app on one of my machines has begun behaving in a perverse way. I like my mailboxes to be shown sorted in ascending order (newest message at the bottom). Recently, however, I found that on this machine messages in all mailboxes were showing up sorted the other way (newest at the top). I click on the column to reverse it, it reverses to the correct order, but then when I go to another mailbox (where the messages get displayed in newest-at-the-top order), and return to the original, it has been reset to newest-at-the-top. In Mail.app's preferences, there is an item ActiveViewers>Item 0>SearchSortDescending which PropertyListEditor shows as checked. I uncheck it, save, and go back to mail, and the next time I come back to PropertyListEditor, that item is checked again.

Why does Mail.app suddenly think it has to do this? And how can I stop it?

OS X 10.6.2 running on a MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo), Mail.app version 4.2

Thanks for any help,

--

Steve Anderson

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2010, 12:04 AM

Just enforcing the One True Sort Order.

sra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2010, 09:13 PM

Yes, fine, that's very helpful. :-)

Now it's done it again, After installing the latest security update. How on earth can I get Mail to sort things with the most recent at the bottom?

Please, I'd like some help getting this to work, not just snarky comments.

--

Steve Anderson

Forum Links
Forum Rules