Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Envy....

Envy....
acadian
Senior User
Nov 16, 2002, 07:25 PM

Wow, I'm really jealous of all you guys with new 1Ghz PB's. I'm sitting on my third PB G4 (800 DVI) and, while it's a wonderfull machine, cant get past my desire for 1Ghz with a superdrive. Just a thought...

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2002, 07:33 PM

well some of us (yours truly included) are still waiting for them to arrive, while others are spending countless hours of enjoyment with them already..

l�k
iron sharpens iron

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by acadian:
Wow, I'm really jealous of all you guys with new 1Ghz PB's. I'm sitting on my third PB G4 (800 DVI) and, while it's a wonderfull machine, cant get past my desire for 1Ghz with a superdrive. Just a thought...
I know how you feel. im still trying to convince my girl to let me sell my 800 DVI & get a 1GHz. since she will be donating towards the purchase...
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2002, 08:00 PM

I am making the switch from 800 to 1 ghz... I hope order comes in soon!
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2002, 08:38 PM

And some of us are still using machines from several years ago...

claughery
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2002, 08:48 PM

SO Upgrade!!!!
Dual 1.8 G5, 23" cinema oldschool, PB 1.5 ghz 12" SD, iBook 1.07 Ghz, mac mini 1.42, iPod mini, iPod photo 40gb, SE K700i

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 16, 2002, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the advice buddy. Want to give me the money?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2002, 10:03 PM

In my opinion, upgrading for every release borders on absurdity. It might not cost that much, but I feel it's a waste of money and is a great example of excessive consumerism.

I upgrade when I feel my machine no longer serves my needs adequately. My Pismo is bordering on that as of late since it doesn't work with the latest technologies such as Quartz Extreme and AltiVec acceleration.

I'm getting my 1-gigahertz TiBook with a SuperDrive in three or four weeks as a Christmas present for myself after three years of living with my Pismo. It's been a great machine, but only now do I see the need to upgrade.

Those with 800-megahertz PowerBooks should still be happy.

aplmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2002, 11:23 PM

I agree with Sean. What can't someone do on a TI 800 that a TI 1gz can't (besides burn a DVD which most people don't really do. ) My Pismo has lasted me 2.5 years, and I finally ordered a new machine. For me, it would be a pickup in speed (but in reality, MS Word, Excel, PPoint, etc work fast enough), but I really got the new machine since it the screen was larger than my PISMO and therefore spreadsheets are easier to work with. I will still keep my pismo though since I still get 8 hrs of battery (with both batteries) which works great for meetings and classes I attend).

People always want a new machine. Is anyone ever content anymore? 3K is a lot of money and a lot of hours of work. I rather spend it with family than slave at a job so I can have the latest machine.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2002, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by aplmd:
I agree with Sean. What can't someone do on a TI 800 that a TI 1gz can't (besides burn a DVD which most people don't really do.)
I hear this argument over and over - that most people dont' burn DVDs so why should anyone want to. This makes no sense. I have about 30 DVDs of content lined up and ready to burn when my Ti comes in. The superdrive in a Ti was my upgrade threshold.

People always want a new machine. Is anyone ever content anymore? 3K is a lot of money and a lot of hours of work. I rather spend it with family than slave at a job so I can have the latest machine.
That's great for you. So why are you upgrading then? Perhaps you should have just gotten a desktop and a 21" CRT and given the savings to your family?

Personally, I'm upgrading from a blue and white (which will remain my cvs repository and mp3 server) and an ibook. $3000 is not too much to spend on something you use everyday, and for me, I'll probably use the new Ti for minimally two years.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 17, 2002, 12:29 AM

If you don't want to burn DVD's, upgrade to an 867-megahertz or 1-gigahertz PowerBook without a SuperDrive. It's that simple...

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 12:56 AM

I'm finally upgrading from my Pismo/400, after holding out for a long time, to a 1 Ghz/Combo. I figured I don't really need to burn DVDs nor did I want to wait till December and would rather spend the saved time using my new computer. I'm really excited! I love new things

I'm a student, going to college next year, and I'm paying half and my parents are paying the other half. I'm doing some 3D modeling, lots of Java, and Video editing in school next semester and the G3 just wasn't cutting it anymore. I'm really stoked for the new machine. Arrives Tuesday!!! *can't wait any longer*

As far as people upgrading their PowerBooks every model... hey, more power to you! If you have the ability to do that you must be doing something right. Plus you're helping keep the economy strong and putting more used computers on the market for poor students like me to buy cheap

I'll post pictures and a review when I get it in if I can stop obsessing over it for a minute

sunkist
Banned
Nov 17, 2002, 01:04 AM

A tibook 1ghz/superdrive will be my first apple computer. I'm making the switch to save christmas like Janie Porshe.

-Chris

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 01:27 AM

Sometimes constant upgrading isn't just a stupid manuever; it can make economic sense. Not for everybody, but for some.

My own example--I have owned 3 high end Titanium laptop so far. I still have my first (a 500) because a company I subcontract to bought it from me (for a great price) which I used to pay for the 800 DVI I've been using for the last 6 months.

I expected to use the 800 for 2-3 years as my primary rig when suddenly a friend offered to buy it from me for $2500--a good offer, but fair as it has the Airport, gig of RAM and Applecare...and I will of course be giving him my own technical support here on out.

At the same time, my local Mac shop with whom I do some print ad work offered me a 1Ghz Superdrive for $2600...so I'm out $100, have a faster machine AND have a new friend using a tried-and-tested Mac.

The point isn't to crow about good luck--the point is that Macs depreciate QUICKLY in value. If you buy the top-ends and sell them regularly as new models come out, you end up spending about the cost of leasing a model. If you instead hang on the machine longer, it finds its value erased very, very quickly.

So if you have friends and family and folks who want to buy your old Macs for a fair price, I think it's a wonderful way to stay on the upgrade path...I actually have a friend who has already called dibs on the 1Ghz PowerBook when it inevitably gets retired.

Karim
Senior User
Nov 17, 2002, 01:56 AM

Excessive consumerism is about the only thing keeping the American economy from completely tanking.

It's nice to be patriotic and get a faster computer!

I also am buying a small insurance policy that my favourite fruit company lives to make yet a better computer for me to use someday.

Excessive consumerism is good.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2002, 02:14 AM

Hey, if you have the money to spend, you may as well spend it somewhere...

I don't think I could justify a CAD$5000 laptop purchase every year, but if I could...

It definitely won't be again this year for me. I was out tonite and some prick did a hit-and-run on my car in the parking lot.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2002, 02:40 AM

Originally posted by aplmd:
I agree with Sean. What can't someone do on a TI 800 that a TI 1gz can't (besides burn a DVD which most people don't really do. ) My Pismo has lasted me 2.5 years, and I finally ordered a new machine. For me, it would be a pickup in speed (but in reality, MS Word, Excel, PPoint, etc work fast enough), but I really got the new machine since it the screen was larger than my PISMO and therefore spreadsheets are easier to work with. I will still keep my pismo though since I still get 8 hrs of battery (with both batteries) which works great for meetings and classes I attend).

how did this thread about envy go to this? some ppl are able to buy new PBs more frequently than others & some are not.

im glad u would rather spend your $ on your family. I will slave & beg my girl for mine.

as long as im productive & able to earn a living with my PB then its worth every penny I spent...
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by mrmister:

The point isn't to crow about good luck--the point is that Macs depreciate QUICKLY in value. If you buy the top-ends and sell them regularly as new models come out, you end up spending about the cost of leasing a model. If you instead hang on the machine longer, it finds its value erased very, very quickly.
Actually, compared to the commodity market of PCs, I think that Macs hold their value really well. Look at the continued demand for Pismos on the used market. And remeber the days when people sought out or held onto the 75/85/86/95/96 just because of the PCI slot situation of the Blue and White's?

Finally, the real value of the machine is in its usefulness. All new computers, not just Macs, have a larger functional life today than those released say 5 years ago. I mean, if you get a machine with 60 GB hard drive it can surf the web, play all your music, process photos from your digital camera, and prepare ppt for work. That satisfies the needs of most users. And the woes of the computer industry reflect this in large part.

Karim
Senior User
Nov 17, 2002, 11:27 AM

I agree with you completely. Macs may depreciate quickly but PC's go quicker.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2002, 11:55 AM

I understand a little healthy jealousy, I sure felt it when everyone was getting their Ti800's. Don't knock people for buying Apple's though if you want the company to be there when you are ready for your shiny new Uranium PowerBook 30gz-Ultradrive!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

schwank
Nov 17, 2002, 12:06 PM

I'm envious of myself! Im upgrading from my pismo 500, this is the first TiBook that Ive really really wanted, course I was ticked that I had to buy it 5 mos. before the ti came out.....

Now comes the really hard part.... Knowing that they are building it... and having to wait another 2-3 weeks for it....

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by sunkist:
A tibook 1ghz/superdrive will be my first apple computer. I'm making the switch to save christmas like Janie Porshe.

-Chris
I'll be upgrading from an Apple IIe to my second Apple computer. :-)

<mind you that I own a 333 MHz Wintel>

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2002, 03:17 PM

I agree. I have had many Macs, sold and repurchased for sometimes no loss of $. My upgrade to the 1Ghz SD will cost me $0 considering my tax deduction. And, I get a new toy. This is not the case for everyone. The fact should be faced that everyone has a different reason for following their upgrade (or not) path. Mine works for me - this is my 3rd Ti. If I can get faster performance on 300+ MB photoshop files, it will be worth my $ and time to set up the new system. Plus DVD authoring will come in handy on my main computer - I have 3 kids.

Originally posted by mrmister:
Sometimes constant upgrading isn't just a stupid manuever; it can make economic sense. Not for everybody, but for some.

My own example--I have owned 3 high end Titanium laptop so far. I still have my first (a 500) because a company I subcontract to bought it from me (for a great price) which I used to pay for the 800 DVI I've been using for the last 6 months.

I expected to use the 800 for 2-3 years as my primary rig when suddenly a friend offered to buy it from me for $2500--a good offer, but fair as it has the Airport, gig of RAM and Applecare...and I will of course be giving him my own technical support here on out.

At the same time, my local Mac shop with whom I do some print ad work offered me a 1Ghz Superdrive for $2600...so I'm out $100, have a faster machine AND have a new friend using a tried-and-tested Mac.

So if you have friends and family and folks who want to buy your old Macs for a fair price, I think it's a wonderful way to stay on the upgrade path...I actually have a friend who has already called dibs on the 1Ghz PowerBook when it inevitably gets retired.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 17, 2002, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
And some of us are still using machines from several years ago...
Lombard 333 / 512mb , over here. Yes, these old machines just keep on going.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2002, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
If you don't want to burn DVD's, upgrade to an 867-megahertz or 1-gigahertz PowerBook without a SuperDrive. It's that simple...
I am highly considering that my friend.

acadian  (op)
Senior User
Nov 17, 2002, 09:06 PM

In my opinion, upgrading for every release borders on absurdity. It might not cost that much, but I feel it's a waste of money and is a great example of excessive consumerism.
Actually, many of us use our powerbooks professionaly and speed is definately a quantitative factor in earning. In my case I'm simply lucky to be one of those people who can justify their love for Mac's as a professional necessity. My dillema is taking the money I was going to spend on a HD display and spending it on the the powerbook instead.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 09:09 PM

"Actually, compared to the commodity market of PCs, I think that Macs hold their value really well."

That is true, but nevertheless both macs and PCs depreciate at a hideous rate compared to, say, a house. Even cars get better depreciation.

Karim
Senior User
Nov 17, 2002, 09:52 PM

Aren't houses supposed to APPRECIATE. Mind did/does. Cars definately depreciate!

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by acadian:
How do you think I feel with my 400MHz PISMO?

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by claughery:
I am making the switch from 800 to 1 ghz... I hope order comes in soon!
You must have money to burn.

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 10:17 PM

DITTO!

skyman
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2002, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
Excessive consumerism is about the only thing keeping the American economy from completely tanking.
That was true two years ago. Not now!

There is no excessive consumerism in todays economy!

Karim
Senior User
Nov 17, 2002, 10:30 PM

Well, just strike the word "excessive" and you should agree...

kdixey
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2002, 12:44 PM

I too would love to get a shiny new 1ghz tibook with Superdrive, but those of us in the situation to "upgrade" should have some perspective. We don't NEED any of this stuff. If you've got the means and want one, then by all means have at it, but the idea that this stuff is somehow neccesary is stretching it.

I have been doing new media design and packaging production for years and the machine is almost never the reason I am waiting around.
--
"We are more curious about the meaning of dreams than things we see when awake"

....Diogenes

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2002, 05:09 PM

I upgrade when I feel my machine no longer serves my needs adequately. My Pismo is bordering on that as of late since it doesn't work with the latest technologies such as Quartz Extreme and AltiVec acceleration.

I'm getting my 1-gigahertz TiBook with a SuperDrive in three or four weeks as a Christmas present for myself after three years of living with my Pismo. It's been a great machine, but only now do I see the need to upgrade.

Those with 800-megahertz PowerBooks should still be happy.

Let me just say ditto to everything sean said.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 18, 2002, 06:15 PM

Is it possible that what I need and what you need are different things? So you're in new media. I'm in new and old media. I have found that old media has far more requirements than new (like large 300+MB Photoshop files for tradeshows). I don't like wondering what I'm going to do the next time I save. Even with my 800Mhz Ti with a gig of ram, I've experienced slowdowns that have cost me time. Do I "NEED" to get my job done quickly? Do my clients really need to have the files to the printer by a certan time? Depends on your definition of need I guess. Many times I have been under the gun to finish something where there are minutes of time left before I make the FedEx deadline.

I think it is not wise to generalize that you are experiencing what everone else is.

Originally posted by kdixey:
I too would love to get a shiny new 1ghz tibook with Superdrive, but those of us in the situation to "upgrade" should have some perspective. We don't NEED any of this stuff. If you've got the means and want one, then by all means have at it, but the idea that this stuff is somehow neccesary is stretching it.

I have been doing new media design and packaging production for years and the machine is almost never the reason I am waiting around.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2002, 06:35 PM

For me, I do not *need* 1Ghz SD PB...but economically it actually made investment sense to get it, since I had a good upgrade path. If I waited and was sensible I might be left with no path.

A lot of other early adopters end up in the same road--it isn't so bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules