Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Did iOS 15.6 Break My AirPrint Server?

Did iOS 15.6 Break My AirPrint Server?
ghporter
Administrator
Aug 17, 2022, 10:09 PM

For the last couple of weeks, I haven’t been able to get my Debian Linux-based AirPrint server working. It WAS working fine.

So did upgrading to 15.6 (iOS and iPadOS) change something so that my server no longer works?

I’m tired of re-re-rebuilding the setup on the Linux machine. Nothing I’ve done has worked at all. I’m hoping there’s a fix on the iOS end…

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Aug 20, 2022, 01:58 PM

To answer my own question, no, the iOS/iPadOS updates did NOT mess up my devices ability to see my AirPrint server.

The day after I posted this thread, my Debian machine suddenly glitched badly. It basically forgot the printing system (CUPS) that I’d just reinstalled. Couldn’t find anything, couldn’t even run the web interface. Aha.

So yesterday and today I reinstalled the whole Debian OS. It turns out that somehow there was a mix of x86 and x64 packages installed on the thing, and they most likely “did not play nicely with each other.” Oh, and there have been a few OS updates in the past few weeks, so I’m thinking that the updates just pushed the system over the edge and it started to fail.

This morning, I got everything (that I wanted) reinstalled, and tested. And before I dug in to figure out if I needed to spend another day configuring stuff so AirPrint would work, I gave it a shot. And sort of like the documentation says, “it just worked.”

I’m going to try to make a clean clone of this setup, so if something else goes “snap,” I can just reinstall from the clone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Thorzdad
Aug 21, 2022, 09:04 AM

Wow. That’s one bizarre glitch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules