Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Ratzinger is elected as new pope

Ratzinger is elected as new pope
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 02:32 PM

"The BBC's William Horsley in Rome says his papacy is sure to continue John Paul II's strongly traditional interpretation of the Catholic faith, including opposition to abortion, homosexuality, priestly marriage and women priests."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4462077.stm

Woman hater, gay hater, AIDS is a blessing, no abortion etc.

Enjoy!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 02:33 PM

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Nope and I know how to post in the correct forum.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 04:46 PM

Ratzinger is certainly on the right side of the conservative Catholic spectrum but is immensely popular, speaks like dozen lanquages and is charismatic. if the college of cardinals wanted a transitional Pope that will continue to implement John Paul II's agenda rather than starting their own, they have the right man. I think this was the thinking. The next Pope will be younger but Ratzinger is there to keep the ship on the course John Paul II set out for it.
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 19, 2005, 04:48 PM

:Thumbsup:

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2005, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker

Enjoy!
Well, that is one rather simplistic and ignorant way of looking at it.
Nemo me impune lacesset

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane
And yet, not so far from the truth. This guy seems so conservative, I feel the Catholic Church is bound for a crisis.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
And yet, not so far from the truth. This guy seems so conservative, I feel the Catholic Church is bound for a crisis.
Like I said before, they weren't going to elect a Pope who a sweeping agenda, not after John Paul II. The next Pope may be more open but I think Ratzinger will be a fine Pope.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 07:21 PM

Perhaps, but not as simplistic or ignorant as excluding women from the priesthood, condemning homosexuality, covering up sexual abuse (mostly of the homosexual variety, of course), and opposing the use of condoms. What these guys do to deserve all the adulation escapes me, apart from the fact that everyone loves good theater.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by zigzag
Perhaps, but not as simplistic or ignorant as excluding women from the priesthood, condemning homosexuality, covering up sexual abuse (mostly of the homosexual variety, of course), and opposing the use of condoms. What these guys do to deserve all the adulation escapes me, apart from the fact that everyone loves good theater.
Hey, I'm opposed to the use of condoms too. It just feels so much better without them!

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by zizban
Like I said before, they weren't going to elect a Pope who a sweeping agenda, not after John Paul II. The next Pope may be more open but I think Ratzinger will be a fine Pope.
I do not like Popes.

I have respect for people of Faith (any) and not much for religions. I respect the idea of Jesus, but not so much what people have done with it.

I think he will be too conservative, at a time when we need spiritual guidance for everyone, wher everyone needs to find a place of their own, he will close doors, and therefore, turn down the hope of too many to please a few.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:41 PM

I think the Benadict VXI will be an excellent pope...and am encouraged by his strong statement against Relativism which is the true remaining evil in the world today.

Read what he has to say about Relativism at:

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...&client=safari

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by NYCFarmboy
I think the Benadict VXI will be an excellent pope...and am encouraged by his strong statement against Relativism which is the true remaining evil in the world today.

Read what he has to say about Relativism at:

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache...&client=safari
Sure... Quote the referer to make it stronger... Why not go for external sources instead?

Relativism is conservatism. If you want ot go back to the time of Jesus, you might be in for a surprise. The whole thing is so highly interpretative, the believers may have Faith for a fiction!

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2005, 08:00 PM

So you really and truly think that Ratzinger (hereto referred to as Bennie, yeah, I'm a really bad catholic) and JP2 before him, hate women, consider aids a blessing, and hate homosexuals?

Personally, I would have liked to see a more moderate pope, like Cardinal Kasper or Cardinal Tettamonzi, but Bennie wasn't wholly unexpected, and I think the bookies were laying odds on him. The surprising thing was the old adage "In a Pope, out a Cardinal" didn't hold true.
Nemo me impune lacesset

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 08:11 PM

I do not like Popes.
at a time when we need spiritual guidance for everyone, wher everyone needs to find a place of their own, he will close doors, and therefore, turn down the hope of too many to please a few.

the doors of eternal life were opened up to everyone who believes by Christ dying on the cross.

all you have to do is believe.

Belonging to a Christian Church doesn't make one Christian any more than being a member of the Lion's Club makes you a lion.

(to quote James Robison)

BXVI has not closed any doors to anyone, read what he has to say.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 08:15 PM

So you really and truly think that Ratzinger (hereto referred to as Bennie, yeah, I'm a really bad catholic) and JP2 before him, hate women, consider aids a blessing, and hate homosexuals?
No - I allowed that the original post might be simplistic and ignorant (although I would be more likely to characterize it as inflammatory). I simply said that it wasn't as simplistic or ignorant as the church's actual positions against women in the priesthood, against homosexuality, and against the use of condoms.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 08:20 PM

the doors of eternal life were opened up to everyone who believes by Christ dying on the cross.

Belonging to a Christian Church doesn't make one Christian any more than being a member of the Lion's Club makes you a lion.

(to quote James Robison)

BXVI has not closed any doors to anyone, read what he has to say.
Thank you for the err.. hand offered.. but no thanks.

That Pope is trouble. He closed the door on anything that I hold sacred:

Equality between men and women, especially in regards of Rights among others.

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 09:11 PM

Thank you for the err.. hand offered.. but no thanks.

That Pope is trouble. He closed the door on anything that I hold sacred:

Equality between men and women, especially in regards of Rights among others.
so in other words, until the Catholic Church waters down its religion until it is acceptable to what YOU think, then it is not a valid religion? or just one of many religions that may or may not be valid, but that you choose not to join?

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 09:20 PM

Luckily for you, the Church welcomes anyone through its doors. I think your trying to pass judgement on someone who has been pope for what, nine hours?

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by IceBreaker
so in other words, until the Catholic Church waters down its religion until it is acceptable to what YOU think, then it is not a valid religion? or just one of many religions that may or may not be valid, but that you choose not to join?
I am passing judgement on dogma and those who carry dogma as the absolute Truth. Idolatry and dogmatism are one and the same absolutism towards the media rather than the original message, which was lost a long time ago.

Of course, you are totally entitled to differ in opinion.

So far, the declarations of this Pope as a Cardinal shows greater conservatism than the previous ones.

You disagree? Fine by me.

But as they say, "L'habit ne fait pas le moine" or, "the coat does not make the person".

You can be part of a dogma preaching universal love, but if you are to keep people from expressing equality for the sake of dogma, I feel entitled to criticize. Jean-Paul II and his position regarding contraception has merits, but the payoff is negative for humanity. Of course, believers either live through virtue, lie, or sacrifice. Yet, more would have lived for the Glory of God had he agreed to support contraception.

Feel free to quote Sacred scriptures as much as you want, if you please; that emphasizes the dogmatism.

In the end, I just disagree and I feel OK sharing my opinion about it, thinking no less of those who disagree with me.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by zizban
Luckily for you, the Church welcomes anyone through its doors. I think your trying to pass judgement on someone who has been pope for what, nine hours?
Anyone?
He has rejected the ordination of women and marriage for priests, and also opposes homosexuality.
And
It was Ratzinger's role to guard against any relaxation of the church's steadfast opposition to birth control. Those hoping for a greater role for women in the church may be disappointed.

Pope Benedict XVI waves to the crowd from the central balcony of St. Peter's Basilica. (AP Photo/Domenico Stinellis)
That zeal in enforcing orthodoxy attracted quite a few labels over the years. Ratzinger has been called variously "The Hammer," "Cardinal No," even "God's Rottweiler."

Before the conclave, critics said he was too divisive, too polarizing. A recent poll in the German news weekly Der Spiegel even showed more Germans opposed Ratzinger's ordination as pope than supported it.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2005, 10:06 PM

He'll probably move the Vatican to Auschwitz.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 11:22 PM

Not my opinion his.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 06:55 AM

Habemus Papam!

Vivat Papa Benedictus Sextus Decimus!

Gaudete et Laudete! Benedictus sit pastor omnium et servus servorum Dei!

Vivat! Vivat! Vivat Papa Benedictus Sextus Decimus!
( Last edited by undotwa; Apr 20, 2005 at 07:02 AM. )
In vino veritas.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2005, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
He'll probably move the Vatican to Auschwitz.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 20, 2005, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Christian Hater

Enjoy!
Fixed

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 20, 2005, 08:24 AM

condemning homosexuality
OMG NOT THAT!!

That bastard.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2005, 08:26 AM

Ratzinger is the most vile, reactionary piece of garbage they could possibly have chosen for the job.

And to top it off, he's Bavarian.

Fortunately, he is also 78, so with luck, we'll be rid of him before he incites too much hatred and intolerance worldwide. The worldwide aspect makes the relief that we in Germany are finally rid of him a rather bitter relief.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 20, 2005, 08:28 AM

Indeed, no church approval required.
I like that.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 20, 2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
Not my opinion his.
Not his post, yours.
Originally Posted by analogika
Ok, what does that mean? Why is that bad?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2005, 08:42 AM

The Bavarian thing is a little Northern German dig - an insider for our German forum members.

It merely augments my assessment of Ratzinger.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2005, 09:22 AM

It could have been worse. One of the leading candidates for Pope was the Vicar General of the Vatican, a cardinal whose views are so conservative as to make Ratzinger look like Michael Moore. If he was elected I suspect chasity belts would have been manditory for all Catholic women.

There is a myth that the Catholic church doesn't allow married priests. This is not the case. There are three exceptions: If you are a converted priest from another christain church that is married already, you can stay married, priests in eastern europe, namely the Ukraine and Russia can be married due to a deal struck long ago between the vatican and the local bishops third and lastly, in central Afirca it is common for priests to be married, though in this case, it's more a the church looking away than permission.

Last year 567 priests were Ordained in the US. With 67 million Catholics, something here will have to give or by simple numbers or there wont be enough priests in a decade or two.

A solution that has been floating around is to allow married priests under certain circumstances: You are retired, and your children are grown up and moved out of the house, or when you are ordained you cannot have children nor remarry if your spouse dies. This is the rule for Permanent Deacons and it seems a fair away to move forward.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2005, 09:24 AM

Ratzinger is the most vile, reactionary piece of garbage they could possibly have chosen for the job.

Fortunately, he is also 78, so with luck, we'll be rid of him before he incites too much hatred and intolerance worldwide. The worldwide aspect makes the relief that we in Germany are finally rid of him a rather bitter relief.

Why is that? He seems like a decent guy.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 20, 2005, 09:35 AM

There is a lot of hatred being projected in here.

I don't think certain people in here even knows what the word means. They like to throw it around too much.

I know why they do it. And it's very slanderous, or "libel"

Call it what you want. It's dishonest.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 09:39 AM

I have to admit that I was hoping for a Pope that might be a little more willing to reform some outmoded practices, (and a black or brown one to boot, just to shake things up a bit!) but I'm willing to give this guy a fair chance. After all, his prior job in the Vatican was literally an enforcement job: he had to be the pope's right arm on matters of doctrine. He has a much different job now, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that although his message does not change, his methods will be much less strict than we are expecting. And who knows? If he is serious about attempting to reunify the rifts between the Christian churches, he'll have to bend a little bit on some issues that are rooted in tradition (as opposed to faith, of course) anyway. The key will be to know what can be updated and modernized without comprimizing the fundamental truths that Catholics believe our religion explains for us. One thing that's clear about this man is that his religion contains fundamental truths that he will not compromise.

I've read in a number of places before the election that he didn't seem to want the job: in fact, he asked to retire at least twice in the past and go back to Germany to live out the rest of his life in peace, but John Paul didn't think his work was done yet, and wouldn't let him go. I truly think that he was expecting to see someone else become Pope, and finally get the chance to retire. It's not quite the attitude one would expect from someone who is going to rule with an iron hand as some might believe...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 20, 2005, 09:42 AM

I like him.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
I like him.
Talk about your kiss of death.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2005, 10:21 AM

John Paul II brought a lot of changes to the Church and they are still being implemented. There was no way the college of cardinals was going to elect another young, strident Pope, not right after John Paul. They wanted someone older, someone who would keep the ship on course and not bring a vast agenda to the table. The new Pope is to carry on John Paul's work, nothing more, nothing less. I'd be shocked if Benedict did anything that would cause waves. It isn't going to happen. Now, the next Pope will probably be younger and more progressive, but for now Benedict just has the keep the ship on course and I think he'll do a fine job.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2005, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Talk about your kiss of death.
Ha ha

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by dreilly1
I have to admit that I was hoping for a Pope that might be a little more willing to reform some outmoded practices, (and a black or brown one to boot, just to shake things up a bit!) but I'm willing to give this guy a fair chance. After all, his prior job in the Vatican was literally an enforcement job: he had to be the pope's right arm on matters of doctrine. He has a much different job now, and it's not outside the realm of possibility that although his message does not change, his methods will be much less strict than we are expecting. And who knows? If he is serious about attempting to reunify the rifts between the Christian churches, he'll have to bend a little bit on some issues that are rooted in tradition (as opposed to faith, of course) anyway. The key will be to know what can be updated and modernized without comprimizing the fundamental truths that Catholics believe our religion explains for us. One thing that's clear about this man is that his religion contains fundamental truths that he will not compromise.

I've read in a number of places before the election that he didn't seem to want the job: in fact, he asked to retire at least twice in the past and go back to Germany to live out the rest of his life in peace, but John Paul didn't think his work was done yet, and wouldn't let him go. I truly think that he was expecting to see someone else become Pope, and finally get the chance to retire. It's not quite the attitude one would expect from someone who is going to rule with an iron hand as some might believe...
A Catholic would say: The Pope only has power by mandate of God thus the Pope cannot change more than his mandate allows. The Pope can't change the moral truths or distance the Church from the infallible teachings of the Bible. If the Bible speaks against women priests, homosexuality etc. the Pope has no power to change it. That is reality.
In vino veritas.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by undotwa
A Catholic would say: The Pope only has power by mandate of God thus the Pope cannot change more than his mandate allows. The Pope can't change the moral truths or distance the Church from the infallible teachings of the Bible. If the Bible speaks against women priests, homosexuality etc. the Pope has no power to change it. That is reality.
The Bible also speaks of the Sabbath being on Saturday, didn't seem to have any problem changing that.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 04:43 AM

The Bible also speaks to a lot of other issues in the Old Testament--think of some of the wackiness in Leviticus or Deuteronomy--that the Catholic Church has chosen to ignore. That is simply a change by omission but still a change nonetheless.

Try again with a different logical approach. Arguing that a Pope has no power to shift priorities or stances of the Church is a false argument to make as it has been done so many times before. Just look at the changed implemented by Vatican II to see examples of major shifts in religious practice--and minor shifts in doctrine--within the past 50 years.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 21, 2005, 04:59 AM

They're going to bring back all the laws of Moses - stoning people to death, hanging them from trees, killing gays, throwing ill people out of town instead of practicing medicine, killing heretics, burning women, invading nations, pour scorn on the idea of democracy or that God doesn't choose to speak to select individuals...

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 05:05 AM

There is one severe error in your post!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bavarian thing is a little Northern German dig - an insider for our German forum members.

It merely augments my assessment of Ratzinger.
Ahhh, that's it - you...you...you Saupreiss, Breznsalzer, Zipflklatscher, Hosnbiesler, saubleder, depperder Fischkopp du!!!!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 05:58 AM

Zugereister.

(I'm surprised they gave you a visa)

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 06:06 AM

(I'm surprised they gave you a visa)
That's Joschka's fault!
(btw. check your PMs?)

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by itai195
The Bible also speaks of the Sabbath being on Saturday, didn't seem to have any problem changing that.
Customs and practices the Pope can change, but he can't change 'moral truths'. The sabbath being on a saturday isn't a moral truth - it is only a custom which the Jews of the Old Covenent were bound by.
In vino veritas.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
The Bible also speaks to a lot of other issues in the Old Testament--think of some of the wackiness in Leviticus or Deuteronomy--that the Catholic Church has chosen to ignore. That is simply a change by omission but still a change nonetheless.

Try again with a different logical approach. Arguing that a Pope has no power to shift priorities or stances of the Church is a false argument to make as it has been done so many times before. Just look at the changed implemented by Vatican II to see examples of major shifts in religious practice--and minor shifts in doctrine--within the past 50 years.
What moral truths did Vatican II change? Nada.

There is no 'wackiness' in Leviticus or Deuteronomy. The punishments are not applicable to the Church today, because the Torah is of the old covenant. However the moral truths which are contained within the Torah have not changed i.e. the fact that homosexual and extra-nuptial sex is gravely immoral, the sanctity of human life etc.
In vino veritas.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 07:02 AM

...slavery...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 08:36 AM

What moral truths did Vatican II change? Nada.

There is no 'wackiness' in Leviticus or Deuteronomy. The punishments are not applicable to the Church today, because the Torah is of the old covenant. However the moral truths which are contained within the Torah have not changed i.e. the fact that homosexual and extra-nuptial sex is gravely immoral, the sanctity of human life etc.
Several posts back you conflated "moral truths" with the infallible teachings of the Bible. You did not say, customs and practices. You did not distinguish between Old Testament and the New. If the Bible is infallible then the "wackiness" of Leviticus and Deuteronomy is still applicable today. And how is an objection to homosexual sex seen as a moral truth whereas the advocacy of slavery is not? Why couldn't the objection to homosexual sex be seen as a "custom and practice" unique to that era?

I am not trying to trick you or be a d*ck. But if you are going to argue logically about this then be logical. Don't claim the Bible as infallible and then say what was said in the Old testament is no longer relevant. Truth and relevancy are not logically related, argue one point or the other. But if the Bible is considered infallible then that statement applies to ALL of it. So, by your argument, there can be no fault found with the Bible. Fair enough.

Please explain to me then exactly how and why you, or the Church, consider some things "moral truth" and other things "custom and practice". Because the objections to homosexual sex in Leviticus don't seem any different to me than the approval of slavery in Leviticus. So why do you, or the Church, consider one a moral truth and the other a custom/practice?

What I am trying to get at is the process that the Church uses to decide what is infallible belief and what is custom/practice. Then I hope to prove that some things that are now custom/practice might have been at one time seen as infallible belief. Maybe nothing has ever made that transition but I still want to undertand the process the Church uses to decide what is "moral truth" and what is custom/practice.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Apr 21, 2005 at 08:45 AM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules