Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > i7 iMac 4gb vs 8gb

i7 iMac 4gb vs 8gb
solofx7
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2010, 11:52 AM

I just ordered my i7 iMac with 4gb of ram.
After going back and forth about the ram and where to get it, I decided that I could and might get an extra 4gb of ram from amazon as it appears to be the cheapest for crucial ram @ 111 for 4gb with no tax and free shipping.

My question is, where would I see a difference in the ram, and with such a fast processor, is it worth it for the ram now?
Thanks for your thoughts and I am really looking forward to this monster of a computer
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2010, 11:55 AM

Also does anyone know where I can find a comparison of the graphics cards other than the one that apple provides on its site?
thanks.
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

Cold Warrior
Feb 19, 2010, 11:56 AM

It depends on what you use your iMac for. If it's just email and browsing, no you won't see a difference between 4 and 8 GB. If you like to keep lots of apps open to multitask among them, or you use Photoshop and a few other ram-hungry apps, then yes you'll see much improvement going from 4 to 8 GB.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2010, 02:42 PM

thank you. i think that i may go with more ram.
i went with the i7so i think that i may go with more ram.
for only $111 i dont think i can go wrong.

ibook_steve
Feb 19, 2010, 02:46 PM

Cardinal rule: You can *never* have too much RAM.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2010, 04:18 PM

hello again, steve
thank you.
the reason i ask these questions is because i notice a lot of people got the stock config with only 4gb of ram.
i tend to think that you should get the most that you can in a reasonable price range.
yes, i do a ton of multitasking.

P
Feb 19, 2010, 06:14 PM

Most people get only 4 gigs because:

* Apple overcharges you for extra RAM
* Apple only offers DDR3-1066 RAM, while that CPU supports DDR3-1333
* It's easy enough to install aftermarket RAM when you need it.
* 4 gigs isn't bad, really. It's quite enough for average tasks.

I used to have the principle of triple-triple: Whenever I got a Mac, I immediately tripled the default RAM by installing one extra DIMM (or even SIMM, as it were back then) for three times the default. Whenever I felt like it, I tripled again, by replacing the default chip with one four times the size, and so on replacing the smallest chip with one 4 times the size every now and then until I hit max. This is the first time I haven't bothered doing so directly. I will probably get two 4 gig DDR3-1333 chips somewhere down the line when prices come down, but for now I find that 4 gigs is enough.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Most people get only 4 gigs because:

* Apple overcharges you for extra RAM
* Apple only offers DDR3-1066 RAM, while that CPU supports DDR3-1333
* It's easy enough to install aftermarket RAM when you need it.
* 4 gigs isn't bad, really. It's quite enough for average tasks.

I used to have the principle of triple-triple: Whenever I got a Mac, I immediately tripled the default RAM by installing one extra DIMM (or even SIMM, as it were back then) for three times the default. Whenever I felt like it, I tripled again, by replacing the default chip with one four times the size, and so on replacing the smallest chip with one 4 times the size every now and then until I hit max. This is the first time I haven't bothered doing so directly. I will probably get two 4 gig DDR3-1333 chips somewhere down the line when prices come down, but for now I find that 4 gigs is enough.
Ahhh, you have created more questions from me to you "P"
First, are you saying that the i7 supports 1333 memory? meaning if I put it in the iMac it will work?
or do you think that the OS has a limitation on it or another reason for it to not work?

The iMac comes with 4gigs of ram and there appears to be 2 open slots, so I am gonna consider getting 4 more gigs from amazon for 111.
I think thats a good deal since apple was charging 180 for the upgrade.
Also is a machine comes with 4 gigs of ram, you would triple that amount?
What machine or machines are you running now?
I am pretty sure that 4 gigs is more than enough, but I have been doubling more than the machine comes with when I normally purchase ram.
Currently I have 4 in my MacBook Pro.
Oddly enough it will be a "triple" computer purchase year for me.
First this iMac, then I look to sell my MacBook Pro when the new ones come out for an upgrade then.
Around the same time it appears that the iPad will be out, I will not be able to resist that.
I also have an iPhone and do not think that it will be upgraded since it is a 32gb 3G S

Yes, it is a pricey year for me and computers
Does anyone know where I can find a good comparison of video cards?
that ones that come in apple products and other pc ones that are out?
Thanks again for your insight.

P
Feb 20, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
Ahhh, you have created more questions from me to you "P"
First, are you saying that the i7 supports 1333 memory? meaning if I put it in the iMac it will work?
or do you think that the OS has a limitation on it or another reason for it to not work?
It will work, that has been tested.

The iMac comes with 4gigs of ram and there appears to be 2 open slots, so I am gonna consider getting 4 more gigs from amazon for 111.
I think thats a good deal since apple was charging 180 for the upgrade.
Also is a machine comes with 4 gigs of ram, you would triple that amount?
No. Prices of 4 gig RAM (per slot) are too high to bother, and 4 gigs is enough. Apple used to deliver Macs with barely enough RAM, but they mended their ways some time around the Intel switch. It used to be that reported max RAM on iMacs was 8 times the default RAM - for these models it's 4, and it used to be 2 not too long ago. Max RAM has proceeded up at an even pace, but Apple has upped their default configs.

What machine or machines are you running now?
iMac Core i7 with 4 gigs of RAM. Love it.

I am pretty sure that 4 gigs is more than enough, but I have been doubling more than the machine comes with when I normally purchase ram.
So did I, but as I wrote, I've changed on that score.

Does anyone know where I can find a good comparison of video cards?
that ones that come in apple products and other pc ones that are out?
Thanks again for your insight.
This is a decent chart. Note that the iMac uses mobile GPUs, so the Radeon 4850 is roughly equivalent to a desktop 4830 or 4770, and the 4670 is roughly a 4650.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Cardinal rule: You can *never* have too much RAM.

Steve
You can if your OS or software is not able to take advantage of it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ibook_steve
Feb 20, 2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
You can if your OS or software is not able to take advantage of it.
True, but no modern OS falls into this category that I know of.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2010, 08:39 PM

It will work, that has been tested.

Did you go with the faster speed ram?
That is an interesting concept.
I truly wonder what the speed/price difference will be.

No. Prices of 4 gig RAM (per slot) are too high to bother, and 4 gigs is enough. Apple used to deliver Macs with barely enough RAM, but they mended their ways some time around the Intel switch. It used to be that reported max RAM on iMacs was 8 times the default RAM - for these models it's 4, and it used to be 2 not too long ago. Max RAM has proceeded up at an even pace, but Apple has upped their default configs.

Interesting. I was on the fence about the ram, but I think that the price won me over.
On my laptop, I maxed it out once I got it home.
But on the iMac it is a bit price prohibitive.
I thought it was better to split the money between i7 and upping the ram a bit.
I heard so many good things about the i7 and the speed is at least 5 times faster than what I have.
I just with there was an option for a better video card
I think that if you have a desktop, we should have desktop video card options.
Though I know that the iMac is a mix of laptop and desktop parts.

iMac Core i7 with 4 gigs of RAM. Love it.

What do you use it for if you do not mind me asking?
How big of a speed difference from your last machine?
I am super hyped about my new iMac.
I had 2 previous, one my ex kept and the other was stolen
I run windows on it for games and thats it.
I use the Mac side for everything, and I mean everything.
The 27 inch screen is truly monstrous.
I think that it could be so much more if it took HDMI in or had a blu-ray, but thats what I have my tv for I guess.
I have a 23 inch dell monitor that got great reviews, but pales in comparison to the 15 inch macbook pro screen.
Apple just makes great screens.

So did I, but as I wrote, I've changed on that score.

Yeah, I think that double is good, I am not a pro user by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a huge mul-titasker. I love to have everything open.

This is a decent chart. Note that the iMac uses mobile GPUs, so the Radeon 4850 is roughly equivalent to a desktop 4830 or 4770, and the 4670 is roughly a 4650.
Thanks, I will look at these.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2010, 08:51 PM

Steve
I think at this point I will go with my "more is more" theory.
I think that though I may not use it to its full potential, I will appreciate having the headroom.

P
Feb 21, 2010, 07:55 AM

Steve
There are still 32-bit versions of Win 7.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2010, 10:15 PM

Has anyone had the reported screen issues with their imac?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2010, 10:23 PM

I just found this quote recently on crucial.

"No, you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix different densities of modules in your computer. But if your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance."

Honestly I forgot all about matching pairs of memory.
This will not make a difference if I get 4 gigs from apple and 4 from crucial right?
Meaning there will be no possible performance gain in getting it all from the same place right?

P
Feb 22, 2010, 05:07 AM

You need to make sure that the two memory channels are identical in configuration, meaning not only sizes, but the exact config of each chip. In your case, put the Apple chip in the first slot of each channel and the Crucial chip in the second slot and everything should work.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 11:54 AM

You need to make sure that the two memory channels are identical in configuration, meaning not only sizes, but the exact config of each chip. In your case, put the Apple chip in the first slot of each channel and the Crucial chip in the second slot and everything should work.
thank you. I think that the apple memory is matched and I think that the crucial is also matched.

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2010, 10:35 PM

thank you. I think that the apple memory is matched and I think that the crucial is also matched.
i don't quite get this. my imac is stocked with default 2 x 2gb sticks of ram. If i get another 2 sticks of crucial ram, how should i install them ?

Slot 1 : Apple ram
Slot 2 : Apple ram
Slot 3 : Crucial ram
Slot 4 : Crucial ram

or

Slot 1 : Apple ram
Slot 2 : Crucial ram
Slot 3 : Apple ram
Slot 4 : Crucial ram

?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 11:25 PM

That is sort of my question.
But i think that they would have to be the first config u listed.
One of the experts here will clarify though.

What iMac config did u get?
How do u like it?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 11:42 PM

The status has changed to prepared for shipment!!! whoooo!!!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by ilovemymac View Post
i don't quite get this. my imac is stocked with default 2 x 2gb sticks of ram. If i get another 2 sticks of crucial ram, how should i install them ?
It's explained in the iMac User Guide. Basically you'll get the iMac with the Apple DIMMs installed in the two front slots (closest to the display). The two rear slots will be empty. You should install your Crucial RAM in those two empty slots.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
It's explained in the iMac User Guide. Basically you'll get the iMac with the Apple DIMMs installed in the two front slots (closest to the display). The two rear slots will be empty. You should install your Crucial RAM in those two empty slots.
thank you simon.

P
Feb 23, 2010, 12:25 PM

Has anyone had the reported screen issues with their imac?
I missed this question: Mine has flickered exactly once, after the driver update (my iMac came with it) but before either firmware update. I'd like to say that the first update solved my problem, but really, it's hard to get a frequency from a single flicker.

There are at least two confirmed causes and one strongly suspected cause for this problem. The two confirmed ones are the GPU crashing and resetting (fixed by the first two updates + a PRAM reset) and the display-panel adapter doing the same thing (fixed by the last update). The third suspected cause is a loose internal display cable.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2010, 12:41 PM

thank you simon.
No problem.

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
can always count of my mac brothers here !

thanks simon !

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 08:53 PM

1.5 days till my new iMac will be here.
my extra 4 gigs of ram will be here tomm.
My 24inch dell is sold, my Magic Mouse and Wireless keyboard are also sold so I do not have duplicates
The bliss will begin after everything is installed and configured!

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2010, 10:11 PM

I missed this question: Mine has flickered exactly once, after the driver update (my iMac came with it) but before either firmware update. I'd like to say that the first update solved my problem, but really, it's hard to get a frequency from a single flicker.

There are at least two confirmed causes and one strongly suspected cause for this problem. The two confirmed ones are the GPU crashing and resetting (fixed by the first two updates + a PRAM reset) and the display-panel adapter doing the same thing (fixed by the last update). The third suspected cause is a loose internal display cable.
thanks, that is a ton of very helpful info.
now i know what to look out for.
i am very happy about this imac.
i keep going to the store to look at it

Phi4sius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2010, 04:19 AM

solofx7 wrote:
thanks, that is a ton of very helpful info.
now i know what to look out for.
i am very happy about this imac.
i keep going to the store to look at it
Haha! That's exactly what I try to do when I have the time. I'm going to be purchasing my first iMac in about a week's time and I can't wait for mine. Do let us know how you like it when you finally get it all setup!!

MacPC
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2010, 08:39 AM

Memory is like inviting guests to a party, THE MORE THE MERRIER!!

Whether it's a Mac or PC, the easiest way to get the best performance out of it is to install the most memory you can afford. No to mention shall you decide to sell your Mac in the future, you get a lot better price out of it. For that price, you can't go wrong.
( Last edited by MacPC; Feb 25, 2010 at 08:47 AM. )

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2010, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Phi4sius View Post
Haha! That's exactly what I try to do when I have the time. I'm going to be purchasing my first iMac in about a week's time and I can't wait for mine. Do let us know how you like it when you finally get it all setup!!
Congrats. I just got word that it is out for delivery. A day early!!!
I am super amped because my ram will be here later today.
I will post pics, thoughts and such as soon as I get it

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MacPC View Post
Memory is like inviting guests to a party, THE MORE THE MERRIER!!

Whether it's a Mac or PC, the easiest way to get the best performance out of it is to install the most memory you can afford. No to mention shall you decide to sell your Mac in the future, you get a lot better price out of it. For that price, you can't go wrong.
Yeah, I love having as much ram as possible.
The only problem with going to 16gb is price
But I will save something for update later.
I am pretty sure the answer is no, but since there are 4 slots, can you mix memory speeds?

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2010, 11:46 AM

Its here!

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2010, 11:56 AM

with geekbench in 64-bit mode, it is clocking in at 9607.
That is4th on the all mac stuff list.
It is only behind 3 different 16 core mac pro's
i have not done anything with it to test the speed yet though

P
Feb 25, 2010, 06:59 PM

I am pretty sure the answer is no, but since there are 4 slots, can you mix memory speeds?
Yes and no. If all the memory conforms to JEDEC standards, it will work but all memory will run at the fastest speed accepted by all chips, and with the lowest latency that all chips can accept. This means that if you have 1066 and 1333 DDR3 RAM mixed, it will run at 1066 DDR3 speeds.

There are occasions where lower-grade memory manufacturers have neglected to include timings at lower speeds than the maximum rated clockspeed, thereby causing the RAM to fail when mixed with slower memory. I haven't seen that in some time, however - it may be that newer standards have eliminated that problem somehow.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2010, 10:50 PM

Yes and no. If all the memory conforms to JEDEC standards, it will work but all memory will run at the fastest speed accepted by all chips, and with the lowest latency that all chips can accept. This means that if you have 1066 and 1333 DDR3 RAM mixed, it will run at 1066 DDR3 speeds.

There are occasions where lower-grade memory manufacturers have neglected to include timings at lower speeds than the maximum rated clockspeed, thereby causing the RAM to fail when mixed with slower memory. I haven't seen that in some time, however - it may be that newer standards have eliminated that problem somehow.
Thanks.
I got the 8gigs in and it did not make a difference in the geek bench tests.
I am installing windows now for gaming, and we will see how that goes

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2010, 02:31 PM

These are my geekbench scores after the ram install:

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 12:44 AM

Well after fighting with windows to get it to see all 8gigs of ram, I got it going.
It is super fast and I played borderlands in full resolution with every single visual option topped out.
It runs perfect, no hitches at all.
I am very impressed.
Now onto the mac part and configuring everything

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2010, 12:35 PM

does anyone know what video drivers should be used for windows 7 64bit for the ati radeon hd 4850?

P
Mar 7, 2010, 06:25 PM

The ones included with Bootcamp work. If you look around ATIs site, you can find newer Mobility drivers which presumably might add some smidgen of performance, but OTOH, the 4850 is old enough now that nothing much is likely to happen performance-wise.

MacPC
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2010, 05:02 AM

Yeah, I love having as much ram as possible.
The only problem with going to 16gb is price
But I will save something for update later.
You can mix memory speed, but the Mac will go for the chip that has the lowest speed. It's better to have the same memory speed. Mac seems to be a bit picky with memory so it's better to do it right.

MacPC
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2010, 05:06 AM

does anyone know what video drivers should be used for windows 7 64bit for the ati radeon hd 4850?
Hey, this is Mac forum, no dirty W word here!

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2010, 09:30 AM

yeah, sorry.
I am having an issue that is Windows/ram/video related.
I will post it under the alt operating systems as to stay in compliance.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 01:11 PM

Sorry for the delay in update, here are some pics of the new iMac

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2010, 01:15 PM

MobileMe Gallery

I am so forgetful, I forgot the link.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2010, 02:19 PM

I just bought a new iMac 27 i7. It's pretty nice. I read on the internet that this iMac is pretty powerful.

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I just bought a new iMac 27 i7. It's pretty nice. I read on the internet that this iMac is pretty powerful.
I must agree, it is super powerful.
I cannot speak for the extra ram as I cannot see a huge difference, but I love having the extra ram.
congrats.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2010, 03:08 AM

Before I purchased this 27" iMac i7 was never a real fan of the iMac. I like the Mac Pro, Mac Mini and the Mac Book Pro. I just prefer the option to hook up the monitor that I prefer to my computer. Anyhow this thing is awesome. I read somewhere that this machine's in some instances is faster that the Mac Pro 8 processor. I finally had to give up my Mac Mini's because of the slow graphics capability.

P
Mar 14, 2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
I read somewhere that this machine's in some instances is faster that the Mac Pro 8 processor.
The i5 iMac will be faster than the default octocore on tasks that use 4 threads or less, because the clockspeed is higher. Similarly, the i7 iMac will beat even the top 2.93 GHz octocore on tasks involving 1 or 2 threads, because the i7 can turbo to a higher clockspeed.

The MP is getting very long in the tooth right now, which is why this is possible. As soon as it upgrades to Gulftown and gets better default GPUs, the MP will win by a mile again. In fact, the next MP is likely to be the champ for quite some time - current Intel roadmaps do not have a 6-core Sandy Bridge on them, so we will likely have Gulftown or something very similar as the top-of-the-line until Ivy Bridge.

In fact, the more I see of future Intel roadmaps, the more I think that Sandy Bridge will be a big Meh for desktops. It will be a big boost for laptops, the biggest since Merom at least, but for desktops it looks like a warmed-over Lynnfield.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2010, 09:55 AM

That shouldn't come as a surprise. Westmere was somewhat of a meh for mobile platforms (with Clarksfield having been the big meh). Sandy Bridge will fix that. But consequently desktops will probably have to wait till Haswell to see the next really big push.

Forum Links
Forum Rules