Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iOS WiFi Security Warning?

iOS WiFi Security Warning?
Thorzdad
Aug 14, 2022, 11:17 PM

All of a sudden, when I go into Settings, there is now a security warning attached to my wifi network. I’ve never seen this before. The really odd bit is I don’t see this on my wife’s phone. The only difference is her phone hasn’t yet been updated to iOS 15.6.

The security warning reads...
This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic.

The names of websites and other servers your device accesses on this network may be monitored and recorded by other devices on this network.
Is this something new as of 15.6? Admittedly, my router is pretty old and doesn’t get firmware updates anymore, so maybe this is iOS chastising me for not having the newest, shiniest network?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2022, 11:38 PM

I’ve never gotten it.

Maybe it’s your Wi-Fi access point? Are you using Airport(s)?

Edit: or your router.

Thorzdad  (op)
Aug 15, 2022, 07:06 AM

Yes. My router is an old 4th gen. Airport Extreme. There’s also one of the smaller Airports being used as an extention.

There’s a link under the warning that goes to an Apple webpage about preferred router settings for best security. After reading through it, I think the issue is that the old AE can only provide WPA2 Personal security. The Apple support page highly encourages using newer WPA3 Personal or, if you really have to, WPA2/WPA3 Transitional. Or, if you really, really have to, WPA2 Personal (AES), which is still something the old Extreme can’t provide. So, iOS is giving me a security warning

Guess it’s time to replace the router? Or, just happily ignore the warning? It’s kinda sad, though. It’s a pretty bullet-proof router. Easy to set-up and maintain. And, when I see the constant security issues with other big, name-brand routers, I like the AE even more. It’s definitely a market I wish Apple would get back into. I’d buy another Airport in a heartbeat if they made one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2022, 01:48 PM

Now that warning I get.

Also use Airports and have zero desire to change. Very pissed when Apple dumped it.

I use Airplay for “whole apartment audio” too. I’ve got a lifetime supply of Airport Expresses sitting in my closet.

Thorzdad  (op)
Aug 15, 2022, 02:57 PM

I used to have the Express hooked-up to the stereo downstairs, so I could Airplay to it from my iPad. But the connection was always a little wonky. I would get dropouts all the time. So, I repurposed the Express as a network extender downstairs.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2022, 03:10 PM

Thankfully, mine are hardwired. I’m sure it wouldn’t work otherwise.

Forum Links
Forum Rules