Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro rev B has arrived!

MacBook Pro rev B has arrived!
Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 08:45 AM

Apple has just announced new MacBook Pros.

They offer Core 2 Duo processors, FW800 and 6x DL DVD burners.

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 08:46 AM

"With an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, greater storage capacity and FireWire 800 connectivity, the new MacBook Pro delivers unprecedented performance and mobility in an incredibly thin and light design," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "We are thrilled that our notebook sales are growing twice as fast as the overall notebook market, and we hope these new MacBook Pro models continue that success."
http://winlab.csbnet.se Visit the Mac Demo Scene.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 08:48 AM

never mind
( Last edited by Simon; Oct 24, 2006 at 08:59 AM. )

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 08:52 AM

There's a 200 GB HDD option on the 17" for those that don't mind 4200 RPM.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 08:54 AM

OMG - they removed the 7200 RPM HDD option on the 15" MBP!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 08:59 AM

magsafe airline adaptor... woo!
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 09:03 AM

It's funny. I'm pretty sure Apple claimed the original MBP got 4.5h of battery life from its 60Wh battery. Now they say the same battery should get up to 5h. Based on all I've seen on the power consumption of CD vs C2D I find that quite optimistic.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 09:05 AM

Base model now with 1GB RAM as standard. 2 higher models come with 2 gigs standard. All 15" standard with 120 HDs, 17 with 160
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 09:06 AM

Yeah, I can finally order!!!!!!!!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

jkwuc89
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 09:08 AM

160 GB hard drive standard on 17" model
2 GB of memory standard
2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
My patience has FINALLY paid off.
Time to place an order!

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 09:12 AM

Does this mean they are actually in local Apple stores or will they take time to ship to stores? I seem to definitely remember when the Aluminums first were anounced they were suddenly in local stores.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2006, 09:14 AM

How hot will these babies run? o_O

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 09:15 AM

15": ships within 2-4 days
17": ships within 7-10 days

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 09:17 AM

I'm planing on upgrading from my 2GHz rev A MBP to a rev B MBP.

I'm wondering if the extra 0.16 GHz and +128 MB VRAM are worth $325. OTOH since I can afford it and there's no way to add this stuff later on, I think I'll go for it.

Edit: I just looked it up and actually Intel charges $214 more for the 2.33 GHz C2D than the 2.17 GHz model. So I guess the extra VRAM actually costs $111. Not too bad when you consider it's something that can't be upgraded later on.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 09:17 AM

Almost makes me wish I would have gone with a MacBook Pro instead of my 20" iMac.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 09:21 AM

I hear ya WOPR, hope the quality of these things has improved. I want to get one and keep it home, not at the Apple repair dept. every 2 weeks for unexpected shut down problems.

I wonder if they are still underclocking the ATI 1600 in the new 15"....

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
I hear ya WOPR, hope the quality of these things has improved. I want to get one and keep it home, not at the Apple repair dept. every 2 weeks for unexpected shut down problems.
The random sudden shutdown issue is a MB problem, not a MBP issue. The MBP was plagued by whine, heat, broken fans, and bad batteries to just mention some.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2006, 09:36 AM

Ordered. Now for the impatient wait

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2006, 09:38 AM

Argh - why does "Rev" B seem to make sense to everyone but me?

The ones just released are the first revision MBPs! The second *version*, though. Oooh, maybe it's because rev backwards is ver(sion). I could be onto something here. Not the topic, but something. OK, as you were!

Anyway - they look good! FW800, dual layer...higher resolution screens next, hopefully.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 09:43 AM

all2ofme, technically you're right. But it seems there's something like a naming convention to start with rev A even though that's technically not a 'revision' but the first version. Calling it 'version B' would make more sense, but I guess versions are more for software.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 09:45 AM

Has Apple dropped the 7200 RPM HDD option on the 15" because there's no 7200 RPM HDD with 120 GB? It seems they value space more than speed. Kinda understandable since the speed increase was rather modest. OTOH why did they keep the 7200 RPM option on the 17"?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 09:50 AM

I think Apple actually uses all2ofme's convention when they say "Rev" anything, but the one Simon uses has stuck around these forums. Not that it matters, since I don't think Apple ever publicly refers to anything using the word "Rev"; they just print it on the motherboards sometimes. (And for all I know, they may have stopped doing that..)

Requisite on-topic comment: this looks like a nice little upgrade, as it seems to address most of the major complaints people had about the original MBP's specs.

phazedowt
Oct 24, 2006, 09:50 AM

Anyone know if the retail apple stores have them yet? (my local one isn't open yet)
15" MBP, 2.33 GHz C2D, 120GB HD, 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.4. 4GB iPod Nano.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2006, 09:51 AM

Simon - that you even acknowledge that it's a bit odd will make it easier for me to just read rev backwards from now on and get used to it

Yes - I agree that it's odd that you can't get the 7200rpm drive on the 15". If I were going for any of them I'd have got the dearer of the two 15" models, and the only thing that I don't like about the config is the speed of the disk. So close to perfect!

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 09:57 AM

Hey if they have them in stores I'm getting off from work lunchtime...

The lowest price MBP seems very reasonable with what you get. State employee discount brings it down to $1839 for me.

Apple - Government - Employee Purchase Store

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by all2ofme View Post
Simon - that you even acknowledge that it's a bit odd will make it easier for me to just read rev backwards from now on and get used to it
Whatever it takes I say.

Regardless of the revision/version A/B thing, I like em. Getting one will help me get over this naming mess.

I'm just waiting for the academic Apple store to be updated so I can finally order the beast.

phazedowt
Oct 24, 2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Whatever it takes I say.

Regardless of the revision/version A/B thing, I like em. Getting one will help me get over this naming mess.

I'm just waiting for the academic Apple store to be updated so I can finally order the beast.
Academic store has been showing me the new ones for at least an hour now.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 10:19 AM

still no 12" *sigh*.

am keeping my 12" pb and getting an imac for home...

maybe january? (maybe never? LOL)

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by phazedowt View Post
Academic store has been showing me the new ones for at least an hour now.
Different countries, different academic stores...

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
still no 12" *sigh*.

I'd say rather never than January although I'd like to see an ultra-portable pro machine myself. Apple seems pretty confident with the current lineup and sales numbers suggest they're not too wrong there.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 10:45 AM

Wish they would have re-designed them to have latchless lids like the MB but I don't see a re-design coming until the middle of next year.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

kw14
Oct 24, 2006, 10:58 AM

FW800 W00t

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 11:03 AM

I'm anxious to hear if the 15" MBP's X1600 is still downclocked or if it now running at it's full clock like on the 17" MBP.

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 11:19 AM

I'm wondering how much I can get for my refurbished 15" on eBay. Might be nice to keep the extra ram I bought and put it into the lowest end new C2Duo.

I wonder why you can't upgrade the video card? It's either pay a premium for Apple's extra memory and an upgraded video card or put your own memory in and deal with half the vid mem. Oh well, well thought out, I guess.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by zerroeffect View Post
I wonder why you can't upgrade the video card? It's either pay a premium for Apple's extra memory and an upgraded video card or put your own memory in and deal with half the vid mem. Oh well, well thought out, I guess.
Well, in all fairness, you're not just paying for a VRAM and memory upgrade, but also for a higher clocked CPU.

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 11:27 AM

A barely higher clocked cpu which technically does SOMETHING, but is really not necessary and Apple knows this.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by zerroeffect View Post
A barely higher clocked cpu which technically does SOMETHING, but is really not necessary and Apple knows this.
Be that as it may, but Intel charges Apple $214 for the CPU upgrade alone. That means the VRAM upgrade costs $111. I don't see anything too wrong about that.

Of course you might prefer the VRAM upgrade w/o the CPU upgrade, but that's just one of those choices Apple is not offering. Just like the 7200 RPM HDD option BTW.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 11:31 AM

Yawn. Nice machines, but no blue ray or HD drive, no draft n wireless(which pretty much everyone else is putting into their laptops) and no case redesign.

segfault66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
still no 12" *sigh*.

I have two 12" PB's in my house, my 1.33GHz and 1GHz that I handed down to my wife. I just ordered a 15" MBP for the speed and the ability to drive the 30" Cinema Display. I'll miss the 12" PB as my daily notebook, but I look forward to getting the MBP.

The iMac's are good machines, basically a desktop version of the MBP with a 3.5" hard drive. I had a couple iMac's for a while, but just didn't feel like trying to keep the notebook and desktop in sync.

PB100 -> PB2400c -> TiBook(500) -> PB12(1) -> PB12(1.33) -> Future MBP15 C2D

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Be that as it may, but Intel charges Apple $214 for the CPU upgrade alone. That means the VRAM upgrade costs $111. I don't see anything too wrong about that.

Of course you might prefer the VRAM upgrade w/o the CPU upgrade, but that's just one of those choices Apple is not offering. Just like the 7200 RPM HDD option BTW.
Yes, I realize they are charged a good amount for the chips, but their option plan is well thought out, like I said in my original post. They throw in that barely bumped cpu, upgraded ram, and vid card to entice people while not offering the vid option and charging a premium on upgrade ram for the lower model to entice people with the much lower (but not so much that you don't think about spending the extra 400 dollars) price.

It's a good strategy, but I like options. Just saying.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2006, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Yawn. Nice machines, but no blue ray or HD drive, no draft n wireless(which pretty much everyone else is putting into their laptops) and no case redesign.
You don't know yet about the draft n wireless, they didn't advertise it on the iMac either...

Funny enough, if it doesn't have the draft n, I will not get it.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 11:55 AM

Decent upgrade. The lack of a 7200rpm HD option in the 15" is kindof a bummer, but I guess it's not a big deal for most users. Not enough to make me regret my decision to buy the CoreDuo MBP when i did though

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 11:58 AM

Oh gimmie a break. Next to nobody is shipping laptops with HD or Bluray drives as they are big and expensive and nobody really is in a huge need for them.

N networking has been delayed AGAIN and there is no promises that any changes can be fixed with a ROM update.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

phazedowt
Oct 24, 2006, 12:07 PM

None of the Chicago-area apple stores have them in stock yet

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2006, 12:13 PM

You can't please everyone.

I pity those who bought one 15 days ago.

Now others can start those insipid "Will the MBP C2D <insert stupid question no one can answer until they ship here>?" threads.

Oh yeah. Don't forget about the video card bitching threads, too.
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Oct 24, 2006 at 12:26 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ehunt
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 12:39 PM

"Ha, ha, ha...ya screwed me again Costanza"
- Morgan
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2006, 12:49 PM

waiting for the santa rosa platform here.
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

Kelvasco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2006, 01:45 PM

I'm waiting for the Santa Rosa prosessors too aswell as hopefully ( fingers crossed ) a flash memory buffer for quicker loading etc. Hopefully Macbook Pro's with those specs with Leopard will be out next June/July just in time for my first year a University. Cheers

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2006, 01:50 PM

MY GOD PEOPLE ARE ALREADY TALKING ABOUT SANTA ROSA?

and yes i shouted that one out because some of you are just plain ridiculous let it rest my god-stop giving intel free advertisemtn let them pay for it.

Regarding this update i was not expecting a stock machine from apple with 120gb harddrive and 2gbs of ram WOW

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
I'm anxious to hear if the 15" MBP's X1600 is still downclocked or if it now running at it's full clock like on the 17" MBP.
They probably have. If they underclocked my X1900XT, then there's no way they haven't underclocked your portable X1600XT.

Just a thought.

As far as 2GB RAM standard, I think Apple did that mainly to compete. I sell computers at Fry's electronics and any PC anywhere near $2499 comes with 2 GB standard, if not 3. It'll be a lot easier to sell the MBPs now that they're at least as, if not more loaded than their competitors' offerings (plus the whole 1 inch thin thing, etc.)
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules