Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Watergate Story

Watergate Story
SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 02:07 PM

I thought I'd share this story with you. Willie was a friend of mine who recently passed away. He was both an amazing guy, and an amazingly modest guy. He certainly never told me this story.

William F. Reckert, 77, who died April 1 of congestive heart failure at his home in Springfield, spent more than 50 years literally dotting the i's and crossing the t's for Justice Department investigations, including the Watergate special prosecution team.

His family said he discovered the infamous 18 1/2-minute gap as he typed the June 20, 1972, secret recording of an Oval Office conversation between President Richard Nixon and chief of staff H.R. Haldeman.

"Dad thought there was a fault with the [transcribing] equipment and called a guard in," his son said. "When he found out there had been no power or equipment failure, they called [special prosecutor Leon] Jaworski's office. They kept him there, and he wasn't allowed to communicate with our family until they sent him home about 3 or 4 o'clock that morning in a big, black limousine."

"He talked about it very, very infrequently," the son said. "It was only later in life when we said, 'C'mon, you were working on the White House tapes that night,' that he said, 'Well, enough time has passed that I guess it's all right.' He was like the anonymous government employee, the courier who picked up the tapes, or whatever. Mom said the night they brought him home, he was white as a sheet."
What a "you will never guess what" story!

Link is to his obituary in the Washington Post. RIP Willie.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 02:21 PM

I actually knew Richard Nixon's brother. The family is still quite active in politics. It was very interesting to hear some of the phone calls that he would make.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 02:33 PM

I love the "Rosemary Woods Stretch" where she tried to show how she could have accidentally left her foot on the erase button while doing other office tasks for 18.5 minutes. One of the greatest political plays of the 20th century.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 04:53 PM

That's a remarkable story, especially the fact that he never mentioned it to you.

I've known some other remarkable blind men - one a judge, the other a law professor. The latter is particularly notable because he wrote the leading text on art law, of all things, and has a valuable painting collection that he can't even see.

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 06:24 PM

That is awesome. I'm humbled by such people. That is too cool!

SimeyTheLimey  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2005, 06:45 AM

Thanks for taking a look. Willie was quite something. I only knew him in the last 4 years, but I feel like it was a privilege.

Forum Links
Forum Rules