Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP to MBP C2 Conversion

MBP to MBP C2 Conversion
MacOS
Oct 28, 2006, 02:06 PM

CPU
Can the CPU in a MBP be upgraded to the Core2?

RAM
Can the MBP be upgrade to 3GB (2GB + 1GB)?

TIA

MGLXP
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 02:21 PM

No, the CPU cannot be upgraded since it is soldered to the motherboard. In regards to the second question, the MBP Core Duo only supports 2GB maximum. Someone tried to put 3GB into it (1GB +2GB SODIMM), but it failed to boot.

drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MGLXP View Post
No, the CPU cannot be upgraded since it is soldered to the motherboard.
I'm not disputing this, but is it something you know or repetition of something you've heard?

It doesn't seem to me that a cpu or cpu socket really lends itself to soldering as a practical matter. Secondly, there would be no reason to solder the cpu to the socket because it's secured in place by heat control measures and the constuction and assembly of the case.

Also, I read where people were changing the CPUs in minis. They are obviously not the same, but they do also have have compact constuction and are not designed toward any upgradability. If CPU soldering were a real practice, that would seem to be a likely place for it as well.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
I'm not disputing this, but is it something you know or repetition of something you've heard?

It doesn't seem to me that a cpu or cpu socket really lends itself to soldering as a practical matter. Secondly, there would be no reason to solder the cpu to the socket because it's secured in place by heat control measures and the constuction and assembly of the case.

Also, I read where people were changing the CPUs in minis. They are obviously not the same, but they do also have have compact constuction and are not designed toward any upgradability. If CPU soldering were a real practice, that would seem to be a likely place for it as well.
Intel-based Minis have sockets. MBPs do not. www.ifixit.com is a good place to look for the realted info. Furthermore, alot of PPC CPUs were soldered on. That is why money is made on CPU upgrades. Many CPUs are not user-upgradeable.

My inkling is that if you were willing to solder on a MBP, and you were successful, you could upgrade the CPU. That ain't easy, though.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 28, 2006, 03:35 PM

It takes up less height on a logic board to solder the CPU to the board, so Apple, thinking thin, chose that approach. Too bad-I have a three-week old MBP...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It takes up less height on a logic board to solder the CPU to the board, so Apple, thinking thin, chose that approach. Too bad-I have a three-week old MBP...
That makes sense. Every little bit matters.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2006, 10:53 PM

1) No, it's soldered to the board.

2) No, you need a different firmware to support >2GB (the chipset is the same in both cases, and supports 4GB).

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2006, 12:03 PM

There may be a company who will offer a C2D upgrade for the old MBPs. Someone offers this for some Titanium G4s and iMac G4s. It is possible, but not cheap and not easy, even for them.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
There may be a company who will offer a C2D upgrade for the old MBPs. Someone offers this for some Titanium G4s and iMac G4s. It is possible, but not cheap and not easy, even for them.
Even if you could change the CPU yourself, I'd question the value of doing it, especially with the difficulty and risk involved. To have it be an "expensive" specialty service just couldn't/wouldn't make much sense.

masugu
Senior User
Oct 29, 2006, 02:52 PM

Ok,
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

masugu
Senior User
Oct 29, 2006, 02:54 PM

Ok, I am no numerologist...but am I the only one that thinks it strange that the new MBP supports * three * gigs of ram Vs. four? Why three??? Someone out there knows.

I am still pretty happy with my Rev 1 MacBook, so the question is a bit moot for me, but inquiring minds, etc.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 29, 2006, 04:21 PM

According to macfixit, it's because the Intel 945PM chipset can't make full use of 4GB RAM:

"The net result is that at least 3 GB of RAM should be fully accessible, while when 4 GB of RAM installed, ~700 MB of of the RAM is overlapping critical system functions, making it non-addressable by the system. "

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by masugu View Post
Ok, I am no numerologist...but am I the only one that thinks it strange that the new MBP supports * three * gigs of ram Vs. four? Why three??? Someone out there knows.
Due to some of the 32-bit addressing space being used for the PCI(e) bus, only ~3.2GB can be made available to the OS, even if you physically install 4GB; Apple chose prevent people from wasting ~800MB by only supporting up to 3GB.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2006, 11:48 PM

The 15" MBP is not a model where you'd want to void your Applecare by soldering chips on.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 12:50 AM

I concur.
Linkinus is king.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2006, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by drpepper View Post
Even if you could change the CPU yourself, I'd question the value of doing it, especially with the difficulty and risk involved. To have it be an "expensive" specialty service just couldn't/wouldn't make much sense.
Sonnet offers an upgrade for 550 and 667 TiBooks. It's $500. Only a fool would try it himself.

I don't think that upgrading a CD MBP to a C2D is worth it today. The chip itself is $250.
However, in 2-3 years, it may be a cheap way to get a few more bangs for your buck without a full-blown replacement.

Generally. I think selling and upgrading every 2 years is probably the best way to maximize your computing vs. money spent. Now that Macs are Intels, will they hold their value like the old PPCs did? I'm guessing no.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

drpepper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2006, 04:23 PM

Generally. I think selling and upgrading every 2 years is probably the best way to maximize your computing vs. money spent. Now that Macs are Intels, will they hold their value like the old PPCs did? I'm guessing no.
I think that's an interesting question and it relates to something that I've been wondering about that's starting to play out; how is Apple and how are Mac users going to respond to more rapid advancements in CPU lines. In the past Apple has had control over the pace of change. Mac users are used to that pace and cycles of releases - 1 per year or more. Now, the next hot CPU technology from Intel will drive interest and speculation from users. In that the technology will be available, Apple will have pressure to keep up with Dell and Sony.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2006, 04:43 PM

If the chip were socketed on the MB, then it's a different story.
See today's story at macintouch.com where Ted Silveira upgrades a Mini Core Solo with a $250 Core 2 Duo 1.83 chip:

Mac Mini Monster (Phase 1): Swapping a Core Solo CPU

Take a close look at their conclusion at the end: then ask yourself, what resale price could you get for your laptop? If you added $250 onto that price, what sort of brand new Mac hardware could you get?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 10:01 PM

Sonnet offers an upgrade for 550 and 667 TiBooks. It's $500. Only a fool would try it himself.

I don't think that upgrading a CD MBP to a C2D is worth it today. The chip itself is $250.
The only mobile Core 2 Duo that you can buy for $250 is 1.83Ghz... which really isn't any faster than the 2.0 or 2.16 Core Duo that it already has.

mactropolis
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 08:17 AM

Off Topic, but on the issue of CPU upgrades, is the Intel iMac CPU upgradable like the Intel Mini's? It makes sense that the MacBook & MBP aren't CPU upgradable for space reasons. Yet the Mini and Mac Pro are....but the iMac is in the middle. So is it?

TIA
Death To Extremists!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 2, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by mactropolis View Post
Off Topic, but on the issue of CPU upgrades, is the Intel iMac CPU upgradable like the Intel Mini's? It makes sense that the MacBook & MBP aren't CPU upgradable for space reasons. Yet the Mini and Mac Pro are....but the iMac is in the middle. So is it?

TIA
You do know we have a whole forum dedicated to the iMac and Mac Mini, right? Ask this question there-this forum is for PowerBooks and MacBook Pros...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mactropolis
Senior User
Nov 2, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You do know we have a whole forum dedicated to the iMac and Mac Mini, right? Ask this question there-this forum is for PowerBooks and MacBook Pros...
Was a "Yes it is. But please seek the iMac forum for further discussion. Thanks" that impossible to say!?
Guess so.....
Death To Extremists!

Forum Links
Forum Rules