Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to see files from external hard drive

How to see files from external hard drive
stratstrummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 08:05 PM

I am very new to the mac. Please excuse my noob questions. I am trying to transfer files from my old PC and when I plug my external hard drive into the mac, it sees the drive, but not the files in it. What am I doing wrong? How do I view and transfer the files?

xe0
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2006, 08:14 PM

what file format is your external drive?

I cant imagine it would be anything other than Fat32 or NTFS - in which case OSX can read both and write Fat32.

Other than that... Im at a loss as to why your Mac cant see the files. It should.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 08:34 PM

Right, OS X can read and write to FAT drives and read NTFS drives, so there should be no reason why you cannot see the files. If worse comes to worse, you may have to connect the drive back to your PC and turn on filesharing to get the files that way.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

stratstrummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 08:44 PM

OK, so networking seems to be something very easy on a mac... However, When I connect, I click network, i click my computer name, and then it says "to see the available shares for server "dimension8300" click connect." I click it, it asks me to select the shared volume, i click ok and it says it could not be opened because the original item cannot be found. Whats weird, is that if I choose "fix alias" i can see all my files in there.... Any way to access and copy these files?

stratstrummer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2006, 08:46 PM

Nevermind, I think I got it to work finally. Thanks guys.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 09:06 PM

Glad to help.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules