Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro rev B has arrived!

MacBook Pro rev B has arrived! (Page 3)
justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 02:39 PM

Ordered a 2.33 15" with an upgrade to a 160GB HD. Ship estimate of 10/31.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 02:52 PM

All,

So my friend is considering buying the MacBook Pro, but now is thinking against it because he was told that "You shouldn't buy the first revision of an Apple product."

When I tried to explain that this was the second version, he wasn't buying it.

Thoughts?

zerroeffect
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 03:11 PM

I agree. Wait until these new ones have been shaken out. Just a few weeks. Bound to be better than the first major jump to intel, though.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 03:57 PM

did they update the Vram?

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2006, 04:06 PM

No update to the gpu's.

No update on fsb either. Must wait for Santa Rosa platform for that increase, so not feelin' the need to upgrade my original MBP at the moment. If I were still on a G4 PB I probably wouldn't be able to hold back though.
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2006, 04:12 PM

Ordered two yesterday. One plain jane 2.16 and a 2.33Ghz with 160GB drive update. Both slated to ship on 10/30. But just got confirmation this morning that they've both shipped this morning.

With past shanghai shipments of mine of a MBP, I got the shipment next day or 2nd and that's with a ground order. So hoping for tomorrow.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 04:14 PM

Is the Vram better?

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 25, 2006, 04:22 PM

IS this new glossy screen new to the mac book pro? I saw gloosssy screens at the apple store?

ALso what is differnet about rev a and rev b?

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
All,

So my friend is considering buying the MacBook Pro, but now is thinking against it because he was told that "You shouldn't buy the first revision of an Apple product."

Thoughts?
Your friend is stupid. It is a rev B.

pat++
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
IS this new glossy screen new to the mac book pro? I saw gloosssy screens at the apple store?

ALso what is differnet about rev a and rev b?
You can choose between glossy/non-glossy screen on the MacBook Pro (it was the case on the first revision too).

The rev B has Firewire 800 (was only on the 17" before), more RAM, larger HD, faster optical drive with dual layer support, better battery life, faster CPU (and 64 bit vs 32 bit for the Rev A).

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 06:20 PM

I should have said basic or stock model rather entry level - but my main point was that the 15 is acually very good value (biggest bang for the buck) for anyone who doesn't really need the extra screen real estate. In fact, while I have been using a 17 for almost 2 years since I began spanning it to a 23 monitor, I am thinking seriously of upgrading (downgrading?) to a 15. I won't purchase until early 07 so maybe there will be another revision of the 15 by than.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by mrchin View Post
Ordered two yesterday. One plain jane 2.16 and a 2.33Ghz with 160GB drive update. Both slated to ship on 10/30. But just got confirmation this morning that they've both shipped this morning.

With past shanghai shipments of mine of a MBP, I got the shipment next day or 2nd and that's with a ground order. So hoping for tomorrow.
Awww! No fair! I ordered the same 2.33 9:30 Tuesday morning and no shipment yet. Apple just loves you more because you ordered two

Sigh. Now I'll be checking my order status every couple of hours.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
Is the Vram better?
Someone answered your question two posts up already. No.

kobetsang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2006, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by NightEyes View Post
No update to the gpu's.

No update on fsb either. Must wait for Santa Rosa platform for that increase, so not feelin' the need to upgrade my original MBP at the moment. If I were still on a G4 PB I probably wouldn't be able to hold back though.
What do you all think?

$1599
Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch Glossy Display, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
15.4-inch glossy widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
100GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

or

$1999
* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1440 x 900 pixels
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive1
* 6x double-layer SuperDrive
* ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 128MB SDRAM

Core Due 1 vs. 2; 256MB VRAM vs. 128MB VRAM.
Is it worth the extra $400? I am currently a Macbook user.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 11:22 PM

Again, I refer to this: http://www.bayarea.net/~kins/AboutMe/CPUs.html

Is there even another mobile processor after this one for at least a year (a few months after that year for public consumption), or am I just not understanding the Intel roadmap?

Thanks.

No update to the gpu's.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by kobetsang View Post
What do you all think?
Core Due 1 vs. 2; 256MB VRAM vs. 128MB VRAM.
Is it worth the extra $400? I am currently a Macbook user.
Unless you're severely CPU-bound (number crunching et al.) or you absolutely need the DL burner, I'd get the refurb. $400 is a lot of money to spend on more RAM, a nice big external HDD, etc.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 03:16 AM

Santa Rosa is not a mobile processor, it is the new surrounding chipset that will be out early next year and will give the new Core2Duo processors a substantial boost.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 03:20 AM

No update to the gpu's.
Are we sure about this?

Of course the model is the same, it's an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600. But the previous version was downclocked. And now I just read here that the core clock is 419 MHz and the memory clock is 450 MHz. AFAIK the stock GPU runs both at 470 MHz. So there's still some (minor) downclocking, but - and please correct me if I'm wrong - IIRC Apple downclocked it more on the rev A.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Santa Rosa is not a mobile processor, it is the new surrounding chipset that will be out early next year...
Absolutely correct.

Look people, the CPU names are : Yonah (Core Duo), Merom (Core 2 Duo), and Penryn (45nm version of Merom with more L2 cache, due no earlier than second half of 2007). And the according Centrino chipsets are Napa (667 MHz FSB, the chipset Apple uses currently, sold as '945' chipset), Santa Rosa (800 MHz FSB, release planned for April 2007), and Montevina (scheduled for 2008).

Napa is compatible with Yonah and Merom.
Santa Rosa will work with Merom.
Montevina will work with Penryn.

More information can be found here:
Intel Core microarchitecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Centrino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

Thoughts?
Technically, it's a bit more than just a new revision because there are slight changes to the chipset. The CPU has been swapped (with a drop-in compatible replacement albeit) and a FW800 controller has been added. Other than that, Apple is basically still using Intel's Napa chipset and the internal layout has changed only very slightly (FW800 port).

For all practical purposes I think this version can be called a second revision of the MBP although technically it might be a stretch. In the end, it's semantics. I certainly expect Apple was able to implement the hardware fixes they developed after the rev A release for this new release right from the start. And first buyer reports indicate it has worked: no excessive heat, no whine, no sizzle.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Yawn. Nice machines, but no blue ray or HD drive, no draft n wireless(which pretty much everyone else is putting into their laptops) and no case redesign.
I'm gonna call FUD here. Apparently the 802.11n draft is indeed in there just like on the new iMacs.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by pat++ View Post
Your friend is stupid. It is a rev B.
Actually he makes a good point.

There was the ORIGINGAL MBP... and now the first revision of that MBP.

I realize everyone here understands that, but calling my friend dumb is just silly.

glhart
Oct 26, 2006, 02:42 PM

Would someone tell me what difference it makes that the new MBP's addressing is 64 bit when the max memory is only 3 gigs? Would this make any difference at all?

HouseSold
Senior User
Oct 26, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by glhart View Post
Would someone tell me what difference it makes that the new MBP's addressing is 64 bit when the max memory is only 3 gigs? Would this make any difference at all?
Read the thread by Rolling Musubi that Simon pointed out here:
http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...d/#post3123447

iomatic
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2006, 10:13 PM

So, I'm in the camp that can wait; don't even know if it's worth the jump to Intel yet. I'm getting by. I make money. It would be *nice* to get speed improvements, but meh. CS3 is probably more important than anything.

Would a Santa Rosa chipset be worth waiting for, in all honesty (I KNOW, I KNOW, wait-always-waiting, blah blah)?

G4 DL PB 15.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2006, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Are we sure about this?

Of course the model is the same, it's an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600. But the previous version was downclocked. And now I just read here that the core clock is 419 MHz and the memory clock is 450 MHz. AFAIK the stock GPU runs both at 470 MHz. So there's still some (minor) downclocking, but - and please correct me if I'm wrong - IIRC Apple downclocked it more on the rev A.
in Rev. A machines, only the 15" was downclocked. The 17" MBP matched the performance of the original Intel iMac, which was not underclocked. Folk who look at FPS should see some improvement even with the same GPU clock speeds in those apps that are more processor dependent as the Core 2 does offer an increase in performance over the Core Duo.
mb air, imac, iphone, touch, shuffle

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 01:20 AM

in Rev. A machines, only the 15" was downclocked. The 17" MBP matched the performance of the original Intel iMac, which was not underclocked. Folk who look at FPS should see some improvement even with the same GPU clock speeds in those apps that are more processor dependent as the Core 2 does offer an increase in performance over the Core Duo.
We all now how the rev As were clocked and we also all know that C2D does stuff faster than CD. The real question is, how are the rev B GPU/mem clocked.

theyoda3
Oct 30, 2006, 01:31 AM

The 15" has 418.5 core and 445.5 mem. Take a look at the thread on is the 17" faster than the 15"? There is a source link and picture there.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by theyoda3 View Post
The 15" has 418.5 core and 445.5 mem. Take a look at the thread on is the 17" faster than the 15"? There is a source link and picture there.
Umm, yes, but to compare rev B 15" with rev B 17" we need 17" numbers first.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by iomatic View Post
So, I'm in the camp that can wait; don't even know if it's worth the jump to Intel yet. I'm getting by. I make money. It would be *nice* to get speed improvements, but meh. CS3 is probably more important than anything.

Would a Santa Rosa chipset be worth waiting for, in all honesty (I KNOW, I KNOW, wait-always-waiting, blah blah)?

G4 DL PB 15.
I'm in the same camp. My PB G4 1.67 handles M$ Office, Studio 8 (Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash Pro) as well as Illustrator and Photoshop CS2 quite nicely. AFAIK, all these apps would run slightly to a lot slower on an Intel mac (thanks a bunch, M$ and Adobe!).

OTOH, the Finder, Mail.app, everything video-related, BBEdit etc. could sometimes use a shot of speed.

Also, Apple's Intel-OSX drivers for FW800 and USB2 apparently are still lacking, with transfer rates of 30 MB/s and 12.5 MB/s. Booted into Win XP, the transfer rates go up to 60 MB/s and 25 MB/s, so it's not a hardware thing.

As much as I'd like to buy a 2.33 MBP right now, I'm not yet entirely certain that it would make much sense. Maybe I'll be able to restrain myself until Santa Rosa (800 Mhz FSB, yay!) 10.5 and iLife '07. Maybe...
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

iomatic
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2006, 02:50 PM

Then again though, waiting for Santa Rosa version 2 would probably be smarter. That's something like October November next year, if I estimate correctly. I imagine they'd probably (maybe not) do a form-factor change or alteration for that... I guess it ain't broke; NM.

Well, I guess I'll see you all then; meanwhile, I gots some prajects ta finish!!!

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2006, 10:24 PM

when santa rosa comes out....its proly a good idea to not get it? do yall think it will be cluttered with probs like the first MBP

Forum Links
Forum Rules