Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Possible iBook Upgrade

Possible iBook Upgrade
tintin220
Nov 13, 2006, 12:01 AM

I didn't want to post this in the mod forum since I'm not sure, but can iBook G4's (latest Rev, 14.1", 1.42 GHz) have their displays upgraded?

I recently got one for a mere $250 with a broken display. It obviously needs replacing, but I simply cannot stand the lackluster 1024x768 resolution. I found a couple SXGA+ at 1400x1050 for pretty cheap, same size, though I am not sure if the iBook would recognize the screen (due to the GPU) or even connect (if it uses a different type of connector).

Those problems would require me to swap out a ton of the innards of the iBook, which I don't really want to do. I don't doubt its possibility, and if it is incompatible, I'm not above stripping a CD mini and seeing if I can put its guts into the iBook.

I'm going to try to research this more, but if anyone knows anything about the connectors, I'd appreciate the info.
♥ PowerBook G4 1.67 15" / Silver 2G iPod Nano

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2006, 04:13 AM

I don't know a whole lot about it, and some other people here do, but I don't think that it is a simple switch-out. I think that LCDs have little controller cards. I think ti would be no problem to swap out the screen with an identical one, if you knew for sure that the screen was the problem.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2006, 09:56 AM

I and a few others are attempting a similar mod. The problem with your situation is that the cable used for the G3/G4 white iBooks is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to splice with other cables (e.g. splice together the iBook cable and the appropriate cable for an SXGA+ LCD).

Most LCDs have one of two types of connectors. A lot of newer ones have the connector that the white iBooks have, including laptops from Averatec and Compaq/HP. You're likely to find something with a compatible connector - making sure the pinout is the same on the new LCD, though, is the problem.

You can check out the thread to see what we've done so far. My goal is to get a 1024x768 12" XGA display into a tangerine clamshell with a 466Mhz board. I know this is possible because the same GPU is in the original 12" white iBooks, so I'm positive it can handle the higher resolution. That will indeed be your other problem - finding out the actual maximum resolution the iBook's GPU can display.

Hope that helps!
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules