Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Al Gore - Convenient Liar - The Master of Hypocrisy

Al Gore - Convenient Liar - The Master of Hypocrisy (Page 24)
Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2007, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
You really believe we can liberate 10% of the sequestered carbon from beneath the earth, wipe out huge swaths of the planet's forest cover, exterminate a large percentage of his oceanic autotrophs, and unsettle the planet's natural methane balance without seeing some impact?.
No affect what so ever. Deal with facts, not your whimsy BS.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
No affect what so ever. Deal with facts, not your whimsy BS.
Uhhh...what he just said in your quote, are facts. That's what we're doing.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Helmling View Post
Stop stealing Colbert's schtick.
Colbert would have already decided a victor and would be in full support of his pick, and his pick would be whatever feels right at the time.

He also thinks that Global Warming exists because the market has spoken in support of Al Gore's movie.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Uhhh...what he just said in your quote, are facts. That's what we're doing.

greg

That's not what Buckaroo was feeling that day though!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2007, 02:22 PM

1st article: Doesn't understand the basic fundamentals of global climate change. The rightwing media likes to hold onto the "global warming" phrase so they can poke fun out of it whenever there's a cooling trend. Because microclimates are so diverse, it is not entirely clear how a general warming of the sea will affect (if at all) all microclimates. There are a few glaciers that are gaining in size, but overall they are all shrinking. She's also under the impression that just because there were higher levels of CO2 2 billion years ago, that it's a good idea to have high levels of CO2 now.

2nd article: Has about as a qualified opinion on climatology as Shaquille O'neill.

3rd article: People love to quote that Nature article, but completely omit the opening paragraph and its mention on microclimates. You can read an excerpt of the opening journal here: Antarctic climate cooling and terrestrial ecosystem response : Article : Nature As usual, people take it out of context and make an ass out of themselves.

4th article: Stopped reading when they referenced the "Oregon Institute" "petition." You have zero credibility if you even mention that crap.

5th article: Doesn't argue against human intervention. It is just showing that there are other variables contributing to the change in global temperature. Dr. William Gray even concedes to the possibility, but his main contribution and concern is that his studies show there are other contributing factors. He also doesn't argue against the planet warming in general, but posits that many of the factors are probably naturally occurring.

6th article: Members are retired executives from mining, engineering, and construction. They outline "lies" about global climate change, but doesn't list counterpoints or data to backup their claims.

7th article: Conservative news group. That's like asking Dr. Laura's opinion on gay marriages.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2007, 06:16 PM

*yadda yadda yadda*

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2007, 10:53 AM

Here is some News about the Ice caps.

Icecap note: In the Northern Hemisphere, the ice and snow cover have recovered to within 1% (one snowstorm) of normal with the official start of winter still more than 12 days away

ICECAP

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2007, 11:52 AM

Link doesn't seem to work. Got another?

greg

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Link doesn't seem to work. Got another?

greg
They must have been overwhelmed by all the hits. Try again tomorrow.

It appeared on Drudgereport.com earlier today. Drudge removed it since it has locked up.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 12:46 AM

Where do you guys drudge up these sites anyway? Are you just Googling them for debate fodder, or are they actually a part of your regular reading material?

These "look what I Googled!" sort of threads rarely go anywhere... I think it can be safely said that you can find somebody on the internet that believes just about anything thanks to Google. Years ago, we may not have heard of the Westboro (sp?!) Baptist nut cases...

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Where do you guys drudge up these sites anyway? Are you just Googling them for debate fodder, or are they actually a part of your regular reading material?

These "look what I Googled!" sort of threads rarely go anywhere... I think it can be safely said that you can find somebody on the internet that believes just about anything thanks to Google. Years ago, we may not have heard of the Westboro (sp?!) Baptist nut cases...
DRUDGE REPORT 2008®

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2007, 01:36 AM

Here is some News about the Ice caps.

Icecap note: In the Northern Hemisphere, the ice and snow cover have recovered to within 1% (one snowstorm) of normal with the official start of winter still more than 12 days away

ICECAP
Obviously the site isn't working. But a couple questions based on what you wrote and purportedly may be contained in the link:

First, what is normal?

Based on that graph, normal looks like we're heading towards zero ice in about a century's time (based on annual). Pay no mind to the fact that the summer coverage has dropped (5.5/8) 31% in the past year alone. But it should be fine, because it's simply normal. What are we looking at for next summer? Only a 60% decrease in two years? Heh, there is a trend and we're not deviating from that trend. Nothing to see here, really...

Secondly, when is one storm 1% of a winter? It's not a winter unless you've had one hundred snowfalls?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 01:41 AM

I don't read or know too much about Drudge Report, but isn't it a site that is commonly criticized in here?

Just wanting to make a mental note of this in case you call somebody on citing a Drudge Report story in the future...

Warren Pease
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2007, 01:57 AM

The last graph was just for aerial extent. Here is a graph showing thickness:

Ron Lindsay's Home Page

It should be fairly common knowledge that as the the three-axes (height, width, depth) of the Arctic sea ice decrease, the surface area-to-volume ratio only increases, leading to increased melting.

But then again, it wouldn't be normal if we didn't loose all the Arctic ocean sea ice in the next 30-40 years...

Here's another view on the recent aerial extent of the sea ice:

SOTC: Sea Ice
Extent comparisons: This graph compares 5-day running means for Arctic sea ice extent (area of ocean with ice concentration of at least 15 percent) for the long-term mean (1979-2000), the previous record low (2005) and the record low (2007). Although the summer of 2007 began with slightly greater ice extent than in 2005, rapid melting commenced in late June. During a two-week period in late June and early July 2007, sea ice declined by an area roughly equal to the size of Kansas each day. Sea ice extent continued its steady decline through mid-September, 2007. Image provided by National Snow and Ice Data Center, University of Colorado, Boulder.

tie
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2007, 02:30 AM

One thing you may have noticed ten pages ago is that these guys don't read the articles they post and never can defend them. But if you question them, they'll go ahead and google up another ten articles for you (or maybe they find it on some website for brainless Republican zombies who can't think for themselves, what do I know? ). Buckaroo started that and now Chongo is keeping the faith.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 12:01 PM

These "look what I Googled!" sort of threads rarely go anywhere...
Wait wait wait. Are you complaining because this thread is too short?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Wait wait wait. Are you complaining because this thread is too short?
By "anywhere" I don't mean discussion mileage, I mean actual productive directions.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2007, 02:57 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To someone advocating "wait and see," a 24 page thread that results in indecision is quite productive.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To someone advocating "wait and see," a 24 page thread that results in indecision is quite productive.
Well, when you discard all of the pages of this thread disecting Al Gore productive conversation comes and goes, but I do think resorting to Googling random articles as debate rhetoric is not really productive, because we could do this until the end of time. There is no shortage of opinion out there.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2007, 01:17 AM

That site is now working.

ICECAP

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 04:11 AM

Mr. fly all over the world and polute:

Al Gore savaged the US government’s “obstructing” attitude and urged delegates at the UN conference on climate change to ignore Washington if necessary to pursue the “moral imperative” of a new global regime.

FT.com / In depth - Gore hits at US over climate change

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2007, 10:52 AM

Good for Gore!

I would be interested in learning about how the US, Canada, Japan, and Saudi Arabia have been blocking progress. This article only alluded to this.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 11:04 AM

Yeah, lets hurry up and ruin our economy based on assumptions from a loser.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2007, 11:07 AM

Logic, BadKosh...

Please substantiate your claims using logic, not emotions.

Thanks!

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
You're absolutely right. The UN wants to start off with a Tax.

.: U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works :: Minority Page :.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2007, 12:15 PM

Stop talking about WMDs, this thread is about climate change!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2007, 01:55 PM

I would bet that "loser" knows far more about the subject than you do.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2007, 09:21 PM

Gore is the one with the assumptions.
He is also a loser.

Obviously, you seem to want to pay a guilt tax for what you think YOU DID to the environment.
When they actually make the link, maybe I'll care. Too many lefty ideas and concepts are generated from guilt as a driving emotion-everything from Affirmative action, to save the whales, and now Global warming. Show me details going back a million years that prove global warming (CLIMATE) not weather abberations and natural changes from changes in the jet streams. a few decades doesn't prove anything.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2007, 11:40 PM

Logic BadKosh, logic. Your second paragraph was sort of okay, although you conveniently discounted the counter arguments that have been made numerous times. Your first paragraph did not state a logical case as to why Gore is allegedly a loser. We all know your emotional feelings on the matter.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 12:01 AM

Your first paragraph did not state a logical case as to why Gore is allegedly a loser.
Here you go: United States presidential election, 2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2007, 12:23 AM

That's obviously not the definition of "loser" that was intended or implied. The idea that he lost the election (although this is debatable) is not really relevant in the validity of his environmental positions, is it?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 03:09 AM

Hey, in before page 271 lock.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2007, 02:44 PM

That's obviously not the definition of "loser" that was intended or implied. The idea that he lost the election (although this is debatable) is not really relevant in the validity of his environmental positions, is it?
Actually it IS. Does time change the fact he lost?

LOGIC? Get a better philosophy.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 03:06 PM

...wait. Saving the whale species is a not something we want to be doing?

greg

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2007, 04:42 PM

Actually it IS. Does time change the fact he lost?

LOGIC? Get a better philosophy.

Note to self: pushes for logic sometimes yield childish, nonsensical results.

If he won the election, would all of his environmental positions be correct?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 05:13 PM

The presidential election has zero to do with the correctness of his environmental positions. But by definition the presidential election of 2000 makes him a loser.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2007, 05:28 PM

The point is that the election results are irrelevant to this discussion.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 06:50 PM

Ohhhh! The title makes sense now. It's hypocritical of Gore to win the nobel prize and the oscar, because he's a loser on account of the presidential election. That scoundrel!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2007, 08:37 PM

The moral of the story: people tend to grasp at straws when they become intellectually lazy.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 08:51 PM

I wasn't intellectually lazy, I just didn't get it until now

Stop being so serious, besson, you're going to pull something.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2007, 09:01 PM

My name is "besson3c" Uncle Skeleton. I'll thank you to address me by my proper name.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2007, 09:25 PM

Sorry champ, you're wrong about that, unless of course you win the next presidential election. You don't get to be right unless you win.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2007, 08:13 AM

And all those opinions become fact?

With the last several decades of so of Nobel prizes and Oscar being heavily slanted to the lefties, and not for the actual talent and skills involved in making the movies or actual contributions to the world, neither 'award' is anything but a form of liberal flag waving to one of their own.

Is hasn't been until the conservatives and true eco-types pounded Gore about his energy sucking mansion and lifestyle that he actually did anything about it. He hadn't displayed that he got it about his supposed positions on the environment until just the last few months. Just because he made all those energy saving changes at his mansion, still doesn't PROVE he gets it, just that some corporations who stand to make money on his cause put the stuff in for him. Politics as usual.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2007, 12:03 PM

Haha! No, winning or losing unrelated popularity contests doesn't make your opinions true or false, sport. That was your claim, remember? I was just having a little fun at your expense. It's cute that you forgot though. Fantastic.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2007, 12:17 PM

Can we return to what Al Gore has actually been saying rather than what Al Gore is or isn't? Several other pages have been devoted to putting Gore under a microscope, this was by far the most boring part of this thread.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2007, 01:45 AM

Whoa, longest political thread ever. Gives the hot babes picture thread a run for its money.

Need more hot politician pics.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Buckaroo  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2007, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Whoa, longest political thread ever. Gives the hot babes picture thread a run for its money.

Need more hot politician pics.
THE TOLL OF A CAMPAIGN

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2007, 04:24 AM

THE TOLL OF A CAMPAIGN

Damn, she looks worst than Pelosi, and Pelosi is a gramma. She needs to take some hip hop classes from hip hop granny.

China's Hip Hop granny | Video | Reuters.com
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2007, 10:14 AM

45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules