Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > How do you *not* lose your Bluetooth headset?

How do you *not* lose your Bluetooth headset?
ibook_steve
Jul 1, 2008, 02:01 PM

Since BT headsets have come into vogue (and especially with the new law today in CA), here's my BT headset history over the course of the past 2 years since I got my 1st one:

1) Logitech headset: stored on my belt next to my phone. Lost ear cushion and putting speaker without cushion in ear was like sticking a tiny little round knife in your earlobe. Got replaced by Logitech.
2) replaced Logitech headset: Again, stored on my belt. Same thing happened with losing the ear cushion; never buying Logitech headset again (and I don't think they make too many anymore anyway)
3) Plantronics 330: Nice headset but I had two bugs with it that I don't know if it was the phone or the headset: disconnects after a call and disconnects after starting a voice dial call. Stored on my belt. Status: dropped it in the toilet. Needless to say, it got tossed.
4) Another Plantronics (forget model #): Worked well, no bugs. Small enough to keep in my pocket. Status: Lost or potentially stolen by the maid at the hotel on my last business trip. I have no idea where it went.
5) Plantronics 360: bought yesterday. Keeping it in my pocket for now.

I'm just wondering where you keep your headsets and how you avoid losing them. Wrapping the loop around the belt as I was doing makes it easy to lose and looks stupid. Ladies, of course, have a purse. I have no such option. Any thoughts?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 02:10 PM

as long as you dont wear it in public they are great...

once some duchebag wears him in public they are then labeled douchbags... at least in my eyes...

-Zach

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 02:27 PM

shirt pocket or pants pocket.

I used to wrap it around my belt loop, but stopped doing it.

Never lost a BT headset though.

-t

ide3308
Jul 1, 2008, 02:31 PM

uhhh, how about on your ear?

ibook_steve  (op)
Jul 1, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ide3308 View Post
uhhh, how about on your ear?
I am not going to be a Borg. I used to know a guy who wore his BT headset all the time. I hated that guy. I don't want to be that guy.

As for shirt pockets, I don't wear shirts with pockets, only knit and T-shirts.

Steve

ibook_steve  (op)
Jul 1, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz View Post
as long as you dont wear it in public they are great...

once some duchebag wears him in public they are then labeled douchbags... at least in my eyes...

-Zach
Exactly!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 02:35 PM

well, then you'd need a man purse

Or fanny pack.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 02:44 PM

I got a special ear piercing for mine. It hands from a 2 inch chain. When a call comes in, I know exactly where it is. It's practical and stylish.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I am not going to be a Borg.
Exactly. I had some douché wear one to one of my poker games, and we ragged on him on the entire night. In a related matter, he got zero calls.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Exactly. I had some douché wear one to one of my poker games, and we ragged on him on the entire night. In a related matter, he got zero calls.
How do you know ?

Maybe he was on a continuous call with someone whispering him your hand from behind you ?

-t

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 03:23 PM

So you buy a BT headset so that don't wear it on your head

I see the various borg walking around with it on, I suppose it doesn't bother me. I don't own one. I generally keep my calls short and I don't really even use my cell phone that much. There's no justification for me but that's my situation.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jul 1, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
So you buy a BT headset so that don't wear it on your head

I see the various borg walking around with it on, I suppose it doesn't bother me. I don't own one. I generally keep my calls short and I don't really even use my cell phone that much. There's no justification for me but that's my situation.
So you never use your phone in the car?

Steve

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 03:46 PM

My car stereo has built-in bluetooth so I use that more often for calls while on the road. I have a jawbone but I seem to take it out less and less these days unless I know I'm getting (a making a call) while out and my hands ae likey to be full.

Pocket otherwise. If you get a cheap earphone case, or have an older one, that's a good way to keep the headset in your pocket.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 04:40 PM

I had a BlackBerry/plantronics headset, used it all the time at work, but once I got my iPhone I just started using the headphones.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 04:45 PM

I was behind some douché at the gas station the other day. He was paying the attendant while loudly talking to some other douché-bag, and being incredibly slow and annoying. I threw my 40 bucks down and walked out behind him only to see a dude pumping gas laughing directly at him. So I started laughing.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 1, 2008, 05:53 PM

Throw it in your pocket with your phone. I just hate the way people look with those things in their ears.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2008, 06:45 PM

See the resemblance?
( Last edited by RAzaRazor; Jul 4, 2008 at 04:12 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2008, 07:30 PM

Saw the flattened carcass of a Jabra in the crosswalk today.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RAzaRazor View Post

See the resemblance?
No, not really.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2008, 08:32 PM

I don't have one and I don't need one. Most people don't. They just want to LOOK cool or important.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by TomR View Post
I don't have one and I don't need one. Most people don't. They just want to LOOK cool or important.
Didn't people say that about the cell phone 10+ years ago?

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2008, 08:39 PM

Didn't people say that about the cell phone 10+ years ago?
Yes and it still holds true. My comment applies to cells as well.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 08:42 PM

No its dangerous. Studies have shown that even with a headset on, your attention is diverted from paying attention. That's why so many states are outlawing the use of cell phones while driving - regardless if you have a headset on or not

hayesk
Jul 1, 2008, 08:44 PM

No - because it's no safer than holding the handset. Phone conversations themselves are a bigger distractor to driving than holding the handset. And yes, phone conversations require more attention than talking to a person in your car. I think it has something to do with feeling the need to continue the conversation on the phone (you can lapse when the person is in the car with you) and your brain deciphering the relatively poor quality audio.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 08:46 PM

O RLY? Cell phones are necessary, very much so. Could you imagine today's business world without cell phones? They aren't fashion statements at all. Sure, some glitzy models can be taken as such, but they still are cell phones that function like any other. You can hide in a cave all you want, but cell phones are needed. Saying cell phones aren't needed is like saying automobiles aren't needed. Technically, nobody needs these things, but to make headway in today's world, they are must haves.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 08:48 PM

No its dangerous. Studies have shown that even with a headset on, your attention is diverted from paying attention. That's why so many states are outlawing the use of cell phones while driving - regardless if you have a headset on or not
IDK. I think with a handsfree it's pretty much the same as talking with someone else in your car. I still never do it unless it's absolutely necessary (like when some freak tailgated me and followed me home).

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2008, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
O RLY? Cell phones are necessary, very much so. Could you imagine today's business world without cell phones? They aren't fashion statements at all. Sure, some glitzy models can be taken as such, but they still are cell phones that function like any other. You can hide in a cave all you want, but cell phones are needed. Saying cell phones aren't needed is like saying automobiles aren't needed. Technically, nobody needs these things, but to make headway in today's world, they are must haves.
Business MAYBE but not needed. "Normal people? NOT NEEDED unless emergencies. Equating cars with cell phones is stupid.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 08:55 PM

Business MAYBE but not needed. "Normal people? NOT NEEDED unless emergencies. Equating cars with cell phones is stupid.
Oh, well then. Next time I'm in an emergency I'll go buy a cell phone. And it is a perfect comparison. Automobiles are luxuries, and so are cell phones. We would all be fine without cars. But a lot of people have them. I could get anywhere I "need" to be without a car, and so could most people if places they needed to be weren't so far away... and those places are so far away because of the car.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2008, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Oh, well then. Next time I'm in an emergency I'll go buy a cell phone. And it is a perfect comparison. Automobiles are luxuries, and so are cell phones. We would all be fine without cars. But a lot of people have them. I could get anywhere I "need" to be without a car, and so could most people if places they needed to be weren't so far away... and those places are so far away because of the car.
Your logic sucks. Get that checked out. Seriously.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2008, 09:13 PM

Which states don't allow cell phones at all? I've seen plenty that require handsfree, but driving around for 5 minutes shows how little they enforce that (probably because all the cops are on their phones).

It is also different than talking to someone in the car, because passengers can see when you are at a light, bumper to bumper traffic, car blazing through a stop sign, etc. and shut up.

I don't use a BT headset, but I agree that leaving it in your ear all day looks dumb. I would like it if my car had BT, but I don't think I will ever buy a headset given that the iphone headphones work just fine.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 09:41 PM

That's why so many states are outlawing the use of cell phones while driving - regardless if you have a headset on or not
I think you have confused banning cell phones with banning the use of cellphones without a headset.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2008, 09:45 PM

Whatever. I'll tell them you sent me. What I said makes perfect sense if you want to listen. And anyway, the fact of the matter is that people don't buy cell phones to look "cool" or "look important."

hayesk
Jul 1, 2008, 09:47 PM

edit: read wrong comment. withdrawn.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 12:50 AM

Lost one expensive Logitech, went to the Cardo Scala 500, which came with a really ingenious lanyard with plastic i-hook that fits into the charging plug. Hangs around the neck with not in use, or tuck it into the shirt pocket. Pull on the lanyard to locate, easy to find and insert.

That feature sold me on the usability of the 500. Sound is excellent, cnet.com reviews mentioned how well it performed with wind noise (car w/windows open, 60 mph) and busy street corner noise, and they were right. You could sometimes find them for $15-$20, and they're still available. I rate the lanyard idea at 5-stars, and that's the feature I'll be looking for when it comes to replacing the headset (along with call quality.)

But I'm pretty sure the Scala 700 doesn't have that lanyard anymore, even though it's rated as still having excellent call quality. Deal killer, for me.

I'm still using the Apple lanyard headset with my 2-G nano--really excellent for walking, hiking, etc. Not available for the 3-G video nano, afaik?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 12:58 AM

WTF ? Who are you ?

You come out of your cave, and judge people who say cell phones are a useful and / o necessary thing.

Get a life, and let others have their own.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 01:20 AM

I have an Invisio G5 and usually keep it in my shirt pocket, but sometimes when I put it in my ear I forget that it's there.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 08:09 AM

How do you look "cool and important" when you have something that everybody else has? The cell no longer makes that statement.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2008, 10:34 AM

How does someone with a BT headset in their ear look any worse or different then all the zoned out folks walking around with ipod/iphone/mp3-player ear pieces in? Personally, I do walk around sometimes with mine in my ear (on the way to work and home every weekday, for example) - has nothing to do with phone conversations - I'm listening to podcasts while I walk (my BT headset supports HFP and A2DP, although obviously in mono).

(okay, wearing one at a friendly poker game or other social event is pretty lame - you're supposed to be there to interact with your friends aren't you?).

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 11:17 AM

I work in a restaurant (a really upscale, about $65 per person kind of restaurant) and I think it's funny when people sit down with other people wearing the headset. The funniest is when a husband and wife both are eating and both have the headset in their ears. TAKE THE DAMN THINGS OUT AT A RESTAURANT.

I use one in my car, but the second I step out (if I'm not in the middle of a conversation) it comes off my ear.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 11:23 AM

I like to show mine off all the time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 11:58 AM

It's time for unobtrusive in-ear implants.

-t

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 2, 2008, 12:05 PM

How do you *not* lose your Bluetooth headset?
Easy. I leave it in the store, where they look after it for me.
In return for this favour, I look after their money by keeping it in my wallet.
That's a lie. I don't own a wallet. It's a pocket in my jeans.

ibook_steve  (op)
Jul 2, 2008, 01:45 PM

Well, this got completely off track!

OK, so for the people in states where it is illegal to use the handset while driving (not illegal to use a phone at all; I hadn't heard of any states doing that), what are your solutions, or do you simply not use the phone in the car as it seems many who've posted here do not?

Steve

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2008, 02:36 PM

OK, so for the people in states where it is illegal to use the handset while driving (not illegal to use a phone at all; I hadn't heard of any states doing that), what are your solutions, or do you simply not use the phone in the car as it seems many who've posted here do not?

Steve
Generally that solution would be just to use a handsfree unit. Whenever I use my phone in the car, I always use my Bluetooth headset. Verizon gave it to me for free when I was having issues with my RAZR several months ago, otherwise I just wouldn't talk at all. I can always just pull over for a few seconds too. Also, I know that at least in Washington State you can't get pulled over for using the handset, but if you get pulled over for something else they can tack that on.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF ? Who are you ?

You come out of your cave, and judge people who say cell phones are a useful and / o necessary thing.

Get a life, and let others have their own.
-t

LOL! I'm nobody. I voiced my opinion. Get over it. People (of coarse) can do what they want.

-Q-
Jul 2, 2008, 05:08 PM

After losing 2 headsets (and hating the Apple one), I've stuck with the wired headset that came with the iPhone.

And don't get me started on how many my wife has lost.

Kvasir
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2008, 10:40 AM

Steve
Well, at least for the car, it may be worth it to buy one (plus a car charger for it) and leave it in the car. That would mean another for anywhere else, but how much have you spent on replacements already? Maybe a car-dedicated one is worth it?

Other then that, I don't know, you just have to be really careful about it I guess. I leave my older Moto H670 in the car so I know I'll have one there. My newer Jabra BT8040 goes around with me, but it's so small I just drop it in a pants pocket or in the front pouch of my knapsack when not using it.

I do use my phone in the car, but either with a headset or only as a speaker phone. My phone (AT&T Tilt) sits in a brodit dash (vent) mount, and I use MS Voice Command so it's effectively a truly hands free operation (except for some nav commands, but the phone is sitting right by my right hand at the 10:00 position and in my down-road line of sight, so it's not a big deal to punch a "yes" button to a traffic re-routing prompt).
( Last edited by Kvasir; Jul 3, 2008 at 10:47 AM. )

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2008, 11:46 AM

if you're looking just for an in-car solution, here's an interesting visor mounted bluetooth:

Contour Design/Bluetrek SurfaceSound Compact | iLounge

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2008, 04:42 PM

I put ANYCOM® Bluetooth Produkte - Startseite in my wife's car.

It charges by solar, it's associated with her phone, and so far she's able to use it without thinking. There's just the one large button to dial / answer / hangup / power on-off
and some volume controls.

It works well so far. I can hear her clearly. She can hear me. It's always charged and always on the windshield.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2008, 10:25 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules