Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > CRAZY! Some asshole takes MO police station by the balls, poses as federal agent

CRAZY! Some asshole takes MO police station by the balls, poses as federal agent
Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 04:45 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/us...=1&oref=slogin

Okay, maybe the thread title is a bit extreme, but it's actually pretty accurate.

The short summary is an unemployed former security guard went to a little town in Missouri posing as a federal agent. He flashed his old badge and didn't provide any other credentials or much of a back story, but he got around people's inquiries by just being nasty and claiming not to need to explain himself. Over the course of a few months, he led the police force on a series of raids without search warrants, again claiming to not need them. He arrested people without charge and frequently threatened them with his shotgun. He also destroyed and confiscated property. On one occasion, he brought the entire police force out of the station, leaving evidence bags filled with drugs out in the open, with the doors to the station open and unlocked and an unsupervised suspect handcuffed to a bench.

No one thought to question him or to dig deeper when they were unable to find anything about his background. Pretty scary. One of the scariest parts, though, is that he's still free. Even after they found him out, he's simply walking around. In fact, he's doing more than walking - he's appearing on national TV shows.

Of course, this guy is responsible for tainting huge amounts of evidence, meaning that a large number of potential criminals will not be able to be charged. Furthermore, he endangered and stole from many innocent people.

What.
The.
Fook.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 04:58 PM

Wow. Sounds like something that would happen to the Reno Sheriffs Department.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 05:03 PM

This is funny. This guy made total fools out of the entire town. What sort of morons wouldn't check on this guy after a day or so?

So this guy is on talk shows and such? What is he saying is his motivation for doing this?

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2008, 05:03 PM

Heh, quite amusing and just a little bit scary how far a little perceived authority will carry you.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
This is funny. This guy made total fools out of the entire town. What sort of morons wouldn't check on this guy after a day or so?

So this guy is on talk shows and such? What is he saying is his motivation for doing this?
Going on what I heard on NPR earlier today, he claims that he just wanted to help the local law enforcement with the local meth problems. If that really was his motivation, he did a pretty bad job of it since a lot of potentially legitimate cases are going to be thrown out and evidence will have to be gathered all over again, and this time, the meth lab operators will know they're under suspicion.

The person they interviewed on the program (a local newspaper reporter) believes that some of the police may have liked the authority he claimed to have. The way he basically took over and busted into places without bothering to do any paperwork. I suspect a lot of police officers feel that way, and I can't necessarily blame them. When you know someone's committing a crime, it has to be frustrating to have to jump through a bunch of legal hoops just to stop him. But that's still no excuse for circumventing the criminal justice system. Another point that was raised is that the current chief of police is the fourth appointed in the last 8 months. They're having trouble finding competent people for the job.

I'm guessing it's equal parts that and fear of his authoritah.

Another funny little detail: He claimed to be part of a "multijurisdictional task force," a term used in Beverly Hills Cop II.

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2008, 05:25 PM

Found some more info here:

Case against fake police officer upends Mo. town

Basic points of the above article:

- He accidentally ran over and killed a six-year-old boy on the highway in 2003
- Many lawsuits from wrongfully arrested people have been brought against him along with several city officials including the mayor

Another funny thing: The mayor, Otis Schulte, said this about him: "He was very adamant about not telling anyone anything," Schulte said. "He said, 'I'm here. I'm undercover.' That's it."

Funny that he claimed to be undercover despite carrying around a combat shotgun, wearing a "Police" T-shirt, driving around in a decked-out Crown Victoria, and loudly intruding into people's homes and shaking them down (in some cases threatening to kill them) with his posse. Very undercover. Great job on the part of the mayor and police forces in that town.

But again, I can't find much about criminal investigations. From the NPR broadcast they said the FBI gathered a bunch of evidence and is currently putting together a case and there will be more information in a couple weeks. But seeing as how the guy allegedly committed several high-level criminal offenses, I don't know why he wouldn't be in lockup.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 05:27 PM

Too bad he was trying to do some good. Because as you said, its all for nothing now, and could easily hinder future convictions of the same people they busted without warrant. So basically he did the opposite of what he wanted to do. I guess that guy was smarter than the police force, yet still not smart enough to realize he was doing more bad than good. Morons tricking idiots.

I do appreciate the humor in using the Multijurisdictional Task Force though. That's some good stuff right there. I wonder if he pulled the "banana in the tailpipe" trick at any point?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2008, 05:58 PM

I've lived in Missouri for about 30 years and I've never once even heard of Gerald.

This guy should have tried the Batman approach though. A vigilante meth-busting smalltown superhero would be awesome.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 06:26 PM

This is Amaraca.

Give a person a badge and a uniform, and he must be for real.

Guns don't count, since every lowly scumbag can have one.

-t

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2008, 07:38 PM

social engineering at its finest. Funnily enough, I downloaded the FBI's manual on how to conduct social engineering from wikileaks recently.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2008, 08:37 PM

pwned at their own game.

-t

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2008, 06:48 AM

ice

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
social engineering at its finest. Funnily enough, I downloaded the FBI's manual on how to conduct social engineering from wikileaks recently.
Sounds like a great read. Linkee?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 3, 2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
Sounds like a great read. Linkee?
http://www.kevinmitnick.com/FBI_Pret...s_May-1956.pdf -- it's the same doc as I got off wikileaks.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2008, 04:42 PM

Somewhat, somehow that sounds familiar...
Only in Amaraca(Not)!

Aut Caesar aut nihil.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2008, 05:02 PM

Only in Amaraka!

Luca Rescigno  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Only in Amaraka!
More like Amerikkka am i rite?