Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hurricane Ike, don't kick the baby!!

Hurricane Ike, don't kick the baby!! (Page 2)
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 09:53 PM

Yep, people flooded the resort/hotel we're at here in Bastrop today. We were glad we decided to leave before the mad rush -- now we wait and see and pray and hope all turn out okay...
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 10:45 AM

Sheesh. 100 mph winds expected all the way up to where I am tonight.

*stares warily at all the 50ft pine trees*

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2008, 02:31 PM

This storm is HUGE! Up in the DFW metro we're all battening down the hatches as well... Ike is gonna be a tropical storm when it reaches us, sustained 50mph winds... and a Cat 2 when it blows thru near Austin.

I am surprised that Perry has not contraflowed I-45 yet... I'm hearing stories of it taking people 9 to 12 hours to get up this way. Hopefully that we're not gonna have a gas shortage next week as most of the refining infrastructure is in the Houston Bay. Gas has jumped from $3.349 to $3.599 a gallon so far today in a three hour period.

It's definitely gonna be a stay inside weekend.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
... and a Cat 2 when it blows thru near Austin.
That poor kitty.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Macrat
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2008, 03:08 PM

Well I've decided to ride it out at home rather than brave the traffic. I guess I'm a lot more pessimistic since Rita and going through the whole evacuation thing once before. While I still have working internet and sustained power my webcam will be working:

http://homepage.mac.com/macrat/.Pictures/webcam.html

I live close to I-10 and the Sam Houston Tollway on the west side.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2008, 03:18 PM

I'm also riding it out in midtown, Houston.

I don't see Cat 2 winds making landfall, and Austin just gets Tropical Storm force winds.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
This storm is HUGE! Up in the DFW metro we're all battening down the hatches as well... Ike is gonna be a tropical storm when it reaches us, sustained 50mph winds... and a Cat 2 when it blows thru near Austin.

I am surprised that Perry has not contraflowed I-45 yet... I'm hearing stories of it taking people 9 to 12 hours to get up this way. Hopefully that we're not gonna have a gas shortage next week as most of the refining infrastructure is in the Houston Bay. Gas has jumped from $3.349 to $3.599 a gallon so far today in a three hour period.

It's definitely gonna be a stay inside weekend.
I just went for gas. It was $3.61 this morning. It's $4.39 now. So I wasted about 8 bucks by not getting it last night. This in Georgia. Plus, one station had bags on the pumps, the other had a 10 gallon limit. Wow! This is not a pretty storm or situation!

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 04:36 PM

Perhaps out of fear of Ike, our Comcast cable box burned out today. I hate Crapcast and their crappy equipment. That leaves the internet and ATT cellphone service...I wonder which one of those will be next to go.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 05:04 PM

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 08:38 AM

Here's a good website that I just stumbled upon:

http://www.stormpulse.com/

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I just went for gas. It was $3.61 this morning. It's $4.39 now. So I wasted about 8 bucks by not getting it last night. This in Georgia. Plus, one station had bags on the pumps, the other had a 10 gallon limit. Wow! This is not a pretty storm or situation!
That's called price gouging. The hurricane hasn't affected the price of gas that is already in the fuel tanks in the gas stations. I have already emailed Gov Tim Kaine about this **** here in Virginia. Virginia for ****'s sake! We are a hundreds of miles from this **** here.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2008, 01:08 PM

So now folks, how about those members in the Houston/Galveston area check in? And East Texas of course, too. It looks like Beaumont and Jefferson County got pretty pasted by the winds and heavy rain, so if you're there, let us know how you're doing. Please?

My in-laws in Richmond (south of Katy) seem to have gotten through just fine, so we're relieved. But we're still worried about others that we know...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2008, 03:21 PM

I'm from Lake Jackson (which is only a couple of miles from Clute, which was on the Weather Channel all night), and our city is in shutdown. They aren't letting anyone into Brazoria County at all, unless you have an early returnee letter from one of the plants.

They're telling us to check back Monday to see if we can get back into town, but without power, our company can't pay our non-Texas employees -- so that means we'll have to stay up here and not go home. SUCKS!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2008, 05:39 PM

Im from Beaumont and we evacuated early Friday morning to Kilgore, Tx because my sister goes to school there. So far I heard from a friend of mine that my house is still there. But the Entergy grid for Beaumont got really messed up. So most of us won't have any power for a few weeks. Other than that I don't know too much yet.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Macrat
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2008, 12:20 AM

Just got power back a few minutes ago along with what appears to be normal water pressure, only a couple minutes after my reading candle finished itself off. The damage around here is consistent with tropical storm winds with cat 1 gusts.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Macrat View Post
Just got power back a few minutes ago along with what appears to be normal water pressure, only a couple minutes after my reading candle finished itself off. The damage around here is consistent with tropical storm winds with cat 1 gusts.
Very good to hear. What part of town are you in?

My wife has deployed from her hospital here in San Antonio to one in Conroe because their neonatal nurses have been working nonstop since before the storm came through. We understand that they're getting power back in a lot of hospitals in the area, and I'm curious whether you're anywhere near that neck of the woods.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2008, 09:04 PM

68 hours with no power at home... but power and internet at work.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2008, 10:26 PM

Nothing for us back home in Lake Jackson. Our houses are all fine, but our area of town was creamed due to all the trees and crap. Now, our reservations are up this Friday, and people from Houston are doing a second evac -- and now we're looking at being "homeless" with my Dad in the middle of chemo and on oxygen.

I mean we can't find ANYWHERE with an open room unless we start driving to Dallas.

Macrat
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Very good to hear. What part of town are you in?

My wife has deployed from her hospital here in San Antonio to one in Conroe because their neonatal nurses have been working nonstop since before the storm came through. We understand that they're getting power back in a lot of hospitals in the area, and I'm curious whether you're anywhere near that neck of the woods.
I'm out on the west side of Houston near I-10 and Dairy Ashford. Apparently they are working to restore power mainly starting from the west towards the east.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2008, 09:29 AM

Ike is Katrina's beeyatch
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Railroader
Banned
Sep 16, 2008, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Nothing for us back home in Lake Jackson. Our houses are all fine, but our area of town was creamed due to all the trees and crap. Now, our reservations are up this Friday, and people from Houston are doing a second evac -- and now we're looking at being "homeless" with my Dad in the middle of chemo and on oxygen.

I mean we can't find ANYWHERE with an open room unless we start driving to Dallas.
Praying for you guys.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 16, 2008, 11:42 PM

4 days... no power.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2008, 11:29 AM

We made it through pretty well. Got electricity yesterday, and internet access last night. We have a few old pines and oaks that are down in the neighborhood, but other than that, our area did pretty well. Hope everyone is ok, and hope things improve for you and your family, RAILhead.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Praying for you guys.
Ditto!

finboy
Sep 17, 2008, 09:39 PM

We made it thru ok, lost the fence and have a small leak. We've been
helping friends & family with gas and other stuff. It's been hairy

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2008, 10:44 PM

Well, as of yesterday evening, the hospital system relocated my wife to Clear Lake (near NASA) where it's really bad. It seems that Clear Lake Regional Medical Center is the only hospital for quite a long distance that can handle fragile babies and high-risk pregnancies and deliveries. My wife is supposed to be back home on Sunday...I hope things get better in that neck of the woods by that time, and not just for selfish reasons.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2008, 10:04 PM

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2008, 11:22 PM

Awesome shots.

finboy
Sep 22, 2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
We made it thru ok, lost the fence and have a small leak. We've been
helping friends & family with gas and other stuff. It's been hairy
Turned out we lost lots of shingles, but couldn't see them from the ground. I spent a joyous afternoon on the roof with tarps and a staple gun. Maybe 10 days before we get a professional reading on it.

In any case, we count ourselves lucky. The Bay stopped 10 houses from ours, diverted by the street into our neighborhood. Our Target store (Kemah) had water at 13-15 feet. Ouch.

Even today, lots of folks down here without power and water. Haven't seen much about it on CNN -- I guess we don't count or something.

finboy
Sep 22, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Well, as of yesterday evening, the hospital system relocated my wife to Clear Lake (near NASA) where it's really bad. It seems that Clear Lake Regional Medical Center is the only hospital for quite a long distance that can handle fragile babies and high-risk pregnancies and deliveries. My wife is supposed to be back home on Sunday...I hope things get better in that neck of the woods by that time, and not just for selfish reasons.
She'll enjoy the folks there, we've had two babies there and the people/facilities are great. CLRMC is taking a bunch of the load off of the city hospitals right now, so it will help a lot if she speaks Spanish.

HenryMelton
Sep 24, 2008, 04:09 PM

I wish I'd stumbled across this thread earlier. I went down to Galveston to ride it out. I Twittered the whole thing and wrote it up once I got back to real internet. Go here for the write-up. Included are a couple of photo galleries.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Even today, lots of folks down here without power and water. Haven't seen much about it on CNN -- I guess we don't count or something.
Broward County got hit pretty hard by Hurricane Wilma when it came through in '05. I was without power for 14 days. I knew some people that were without power for longer. There were half-mile long lines at the gas station. People were fighting over water. Entire sides of high-rise buildings were taken off, exposing the offices within. After the storm passed, and THAT all happened, the only ones left covering it was the local news. I definitely thought it weird that all National coverage had pretty much ceased.
ice

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by HenryMelton View Post
I wish I'd stumbled across this thread earlier. I went down to Galveston to ride it out. I Twittered the whole thing and wrote it up once I got back to real internet. Go here for the write-up. Included are a couple of photo galleries.
Some interesting stuff there.

HenryMelton
Sep 25, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Broward County got hit pretty hard by Hurricane Wilma when it came through in '05. I was without power for 14 days. I knew some people that were without power for longer. There were half-mile long lines at the gas station. People were fighting over water. Entire sides of high-rise buildings were taken off, exposing the offices within. After the storm passed, and THAT all happened, the only ones left covering it was the local news. I definitely thought it weird that all National coverage had pretty much ceased.
I noticed the same thing about Galveston coverage, gone from the headlines in a matter of a couple of days, but I just blamed it on the financial crisis. But watching the big network news crews race to get new and fresh destruction as a backdrop for their live reports, I get the sense that a few days without electricity and running water just isn't visual enough.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2008, 05:25 PM

The next hurricane going to smack into the US is named (I kid you not): Kyle
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 27, 2008, 01:56 AM

I saw that, and I find it awesome.
ice