Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Artist's ****

Artist's ****
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 01:12 PM

Have you heard about this? This guy sold his poop in cans for the price of their weight in gold! Brilliant!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist%27s_****

(You'll have to replace the stars with the appropriate letters, sorry!)

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 01:13 PM

you're a bit weird sometimes
we don't have time to stop for gas

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 01:14 PM

Why am I weird? This is true, this was actually done! I'm not making it up, you can read about it in the Wikipedia. This guy wasn't me either, so I'm not the weird one!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 01:15 PM

If you don't believe me, here is the same story on a different site with a more censor friendly URL:

http://www.poopreport.com/Intellectu...t/Art/art.html

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 01:16 PM

But you bought one, right?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 01:18 PM

No, I don't think the cans were sold separately, and I'm not really an art collector, but I'm thinking that maybe I should become an art seller...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 01:21 PM

I'd call this the Ultimate Midas Touch.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 01:22 PM

You can say that again my friend!

I like your posts today so far, keep up the good work turtle777 buddy!

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 01:22 PM

yer we touched on this at uni, the whole thing was he questioning what art is, which 90% of modern artists try to do, tbh if you ask me i like the ideas, and i like the fact he made them ect, and i suppose the idea of selling it for the price of gold, but sometimes i get annoyed with the price tags people place on these things, sometimes it makes me wonder if they do it just to make money, ay which point i think there not a proper artist.
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 01:32 PM

So a "proper artist" only makes stuff out of a labour of love, with no expectations of monetary gain?

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 01:45 PM

hmmm im maybe been a bit controversial with that statement, i just feel that there are artists who do things because they want to pose a question or get us to think in a certain way, that been their main goal, and any money they make on top of that is a bonus, where as i believe there is a selection of artists who just do things to make money first and foremost and the art becomes second to that goal, so i make sense?

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2008, 01:50 PM

Yeah, I'll order some of that after I get my shipment of Vulva Original.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 01:59 PM

Picasso's poop.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 02:06 PM

This thread is ****.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
hmmm im maybe been a bit controversial with that statement, i just feel that there are artists who do things because they want to pose a question or get us to think in a certain way, that been their main goal, and any money they make on top of that is a bonus, where as i believe there is a selection of artists who just do things to make money first and foremost and the art becomes second to that goal, so i make sense?

Yes, this makes sense, but do you think there is a connection between the value of art and its price tag?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post

Picasso's poop.

Lovely! It's cool how he got it to wrap around like that, sort of like those soft ice cream machines.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Lovely! It's cool how he got it to wrap around like that, sort of like those soft ice cream machines.
He must have tried eleventy billion times.

But, so did I, and it never turned out that way

-t

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 02:19 PM

Yes, this makes sense, but do you think there is a connection between the value of art and its price tag?
no, i think the job of alot of modern art is to provoke a response, ask a question ect, the people who pay stupid amounts for it im sure have no emotional connection with it, they are just buying into a fashion. i am being very general, and quite opinionated, and i believe there are people out there who do buy and do art for the right reasons.

i mean look at the last Damian Hurst sale a month or so ago, im sure i read somewhere that his PR team actually bought some of the items at well over their value at his auction just to keep a value to his work as high as it could be. he actually bought some of his own work.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
He must have tried eleventy billion times.

But, so did I, and it never turned out that way

-t
it's okay -t, you do many other things much much better. no need to be saddened by your lack of poop sculpting abilities.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2008, 03:30 PM

Thanks, brass.

I think I will leave the poop field to besson. I should have never tried.

-t

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by crazyreaper View Post
no, i think the job of alot of modern art is
What is art?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 04:22 PM

i like art that includes a bell or two.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
i like art that includes a bell or two.
WHOOSH, straight over my head.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Nov 21, 2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
What is art?
art is anything you chose to call art... i know where your going here, and theres no way to defend it, im backed into a corner, but i still stand true on my statement, i sometimes think people are too quick to label things as art to make a quick buck

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2008, 12:49 AM

What is art?
Art is intentional.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2008, 12:54 AM

not always

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2008, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
not always
The result is the intention regardless of how art was conceived.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

red rocket
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2008, 05:42 AM

I’ve been told by a somewhat successful artist that the highest forms of art are about managing to please the observer deep down whilst offending him on the surface level. Since most artist are deluded incompetents, they probably think being offensive whilst amusing themselves satisfies those conditions adequately. Partially proven correct by idiots buying, exhibiting and talking about the crap.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 11:44 AM

Art literally cannot be defined, just as sport cannot be defined, or jazz cannot be defined. I guess art is more of a concept?

I'm intrigued by the "art is intentional" theory though.. Have there ever been any accidental forms of art?

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2008, 12:27 PM

^ found art

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2008, 01:35 PM

Art literally cannot be defined, just as sport cannot be defined, or jazz cannot be defined. I guess art is more of a concept?
Sport, most sports, can be defined because the actions involved are measurable : goals, time, distance etc. I don't count figure skating as a sport because it isn't measurable - just judges opinions, synchronized swimming or diving is the same. Nothing against the people that participate in these activities, some of them are ultra fit, but to me it isn't a sport. Most jazz can be defined as shite, so that closes that discussion. My father in law, IMHO a good artist, said that art is a creation that evokes an emotion, but that serves no other purpose. So the evening news for example isn't art because its purpose is to supply information.

I know sweet FA about art or many cultural things, and its going to sound artsy fartsy, but I appreciate a really good painting, or sculpture, or something that shows the artist's skill with a paintbrush or chisel. I think that Hirst's stuff is interesting, Coons as well, because I can see some intelligence in the piece. Dunno why. The guy that filled a house full of cement and then tore down the walls was intelligent IMO. Putting crap (literally) in a can doesn't show intelligence to me. I was more impressed with the architecture of the Louvre than the Mona Lisa. I recently went to a museum and was met in the first room by a 3m high mannequin with the head of a cat, all painted in white, wearing a leather g-string + bikini and holding a crossbow. Yeah OK it provoked an emotion. Next to it was a block of stone. The block did not provoke an emotion.

But then, what do I know?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 03:17 PM

Sport, most sports, can be defined because the actions involved are measurable : goals, time, distance etc. I don't count figure skating as a sport because it isn't measurable - just judges opinions, synchronized swimming or diving is the same. Nothing against the people that participate in these activities, some of them are ultra fit, but to me it isn't a sport. Most jazz can be defined as shite, so that closes that discussion. My father in law, IMHO a good artist, said that art is a creation that evokes an emotion, but that serves no other purpose. So the evening news for example isn't art because its purpose is to supply information.
These definitions of sport and jazz are *your* definitions, but they are clearly not definitions we can all agree upon. Isn't the point of having words to have clear defined semantic meaning?

I know sweet FA about art or many cultural things, and its going to sound artsy fartsy, but I appreciate a really good painting, or sculpture, or something that shows the artist's skill with a paintbrush or chisel. I think that Hirst's stuff is interesting, Coons as well, because I can see some intelligence in the piece. Dunno why. The guy that filled a house full of cement and then tore down the walls was intelligent IMO. Putting crap (literally) in a can doesn't show intelligence to me. I was more impressed with the architecture of the Louvre than the Mona Lisa. I recently went to a museum and was met in the first room by a 3m high mannequin with the head of a cat, all painted in white, wearing a leather g-string + bikini and holding a crossbow. Yeah OK it provoked an emotion. Next to it was a block of stone. The block did not provoke an emotion.
Sometimes simplicity evokes more powerful emotion than complexity, perhaps hence your dislike of Jazz?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 03:20 PM

You know what really pisses me off? That art needs some sort of license...

Why is it that there can be a statue or a mural of something in a public setting, but I cannot share my own art within this same setting? Why is it that a nude statue is permissible, but me taking off my clothes results in indecent exposure charges? To me, my nakedness is art, but why is it seen as a felony to others? Why is it that my opinions don't matter? I can buy arguments relating to public safety, but then I can't put up a picture of my naked body either.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 03:22 PM

perhaps hence your dislike of Jazz?
I'm pretty sure he doesn't like it because it's shite. You like it and seem to keep making threads about poop. Coincidence? I think not.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I'm pretty sure he doesn't like it because it's shite. You like it and seem to keep making threads about poop. Coincidence? I think not.
Your opinion clearly isn't shared either, since it has endured for so long, studied for so long, and was literally the pop music of the day during the big band era. It's historically vital to the history of all Western music (including rock), culturally significant in terms of race in this country.

I'm sure that this will result in you cranking up the ol' Doofy hot hair and aggression, but facts are facts. It's cool to dislike it, but a little appreciation is healthy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 23, 2008, 03:44 PM

Your opinion clearly isn't shared either, since Windows has endured for so long, studied for so long, and was literally the operating system of the day during the technological revolution. It's historically vital to the history of all computing, culturally significant in terms of social status in this country.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 03:44 PM

Your opinion clearly isn't shared either, since it has endured for so long, studied for so long, and was literally the pop music of the day during the big band era.
Yeah. Fascism was the popular culture of its day too, has been studied for so long and has endured for so long. Doesn't mean it's not shite.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 03:47 PM

I'll also point out that Herbie Hancock's "River" album won album of the year last year. I'm not one to put too much stock into awards and accolades of this nature, but again, clearly there are still appreciators and fans of jazz left.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 03:48 PM

Hey, I've made my point. I don't see any possible positive outcome coming out of this, so I'll leave it at that.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I never knew that you thought of Windows as art!

The Crook
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2008, 11:52 PM

What is art?
There is no definition of art that we can express in terms of necessary and sufficient conditions.

Crooked Member of the MacNN Atheist Clique.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 24, 2008, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Crook View Post
There is no definition of art that we can express in terms of necessary and sufficient conditions.
In saying this, you just defined art.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
In saying this, you just defined art.
Well played sir!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2008, 10:08 AM

Art is pretentious and silly.

Vis:
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...xerox-of-stat/

*** WARNING: LEGENDARY THREAD ALERT !!!! ***

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Art is pretentious and silly.

Vis:
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...xerox-of-stat/

*** WARNING: LEGENDARY THREAD ALERT !!!! ***
I only skimmed the first page but saw Kevin/Zimphire make a "16th chapel" reference. Is this the infamous 16th/Sistine chapel thread? I thought it was a different thread. Good post regardless.

(You know, sometimes I miss Kevin/Zimphire just for the obstinacy he brought to a thread. He was so crazily single-minded about matters it was fun to watch him run in circles during a debate on a contentious subject.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks for posting the thread Spheric, I don't think I was here or terribly active during the peak and climax of that thread.

Then again, the whole thing was quite climatic

Forum Links
Forum Rules