Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Texas to require cremation or burial of fetal remains

Texas to require cremation or burial of fetal remains
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2016, 03:44 PM

For "enhanced protection of the health and safety of the public".

On a phone so you've dodged a reaction gif.

OreoCookie
Nov 30, 2016, 07:54 PM

I heard that this is even the case if the woman has a miscarriage, something that has nothing to do with abortions. That's really despicable, if you know people who have had miscarriages, you know how hard that alone hits them. Forcing them to give burials is just unnecessarily rubbing salt in their wounds.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2016, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I heard that this is even the case if the woman has a miscarriage, something that has nothing to do with abortions. That's really despicable, if you know people who have had miscarriages, you know how hard that alone hits them. Forcing them to give burials is just unnecessarily rubbing salt in their wounds.
Interestingly, there's an exception for miscarriages. One wonders why something enacted for health reasons would have this exception.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 30, 2016, 09:15 PM

Is there an exception when rape was involved? If not, who gets billed?

andi*pandi
Nov 30, 2016, 09:27 PM

Hey texas: the first person to get stem cell therapy has recovered use of their upper body.

First Ever Quadriplegic Treated With Stem Cells Regains Motor Control in His Upper Body - Good News Network

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2016, 10:18 PM

Only Texan politicians could look at this law in Indiana and think: "Hey, what a great idea!"
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2016, 11:45 PM

Looking over a few articles, this sounds like much less of a big deal than it's being made out to be. I don't even see a likely vector for someone who has an abortion/miscarriage to even be aware this is happening other than reading it in the news.

Part of me thinks the point of legislation like this is to draw fire with the intent of making the opponent look uncompromising.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Looking over a few articles, this sounds like much less of a big deal than it's being made out to be. I don't even see a likely vector for someone who has an abortion/miscarriage to even be aware this is happening other than reading it in the news.

Part of me thinks the point of legislation like this is to draw fire with the intent of making the opponent look uncompromising.
Isn't this a regulation designed to increase costs at the very least?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 2, 2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Interestingly, there's an exception for miscarriages. One wonders why something enacted for health reasons would have this exception.
I'd imagine as miscarriages can happen at inopportune moments, they don't want to prosecute anyone that didn't recover remains from their bathroom at work.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 2, 2016, 11:23 AM

Isn't this a regulation designed to increase costs at the very least?
In Iowa, a local funeral home collects fetal remains and when they have enough, perform a memorial ceremony over all of them and then cremates all of the the remains at no cost to the parents. This requires only signing a consent form and nothing after that.

Parents also have the option of retaining the remains for burial or individual cremation.

This obviously has nothing to do with health or safety, but is a stair step toward reducing abortion rights. "The law has determined that a 3 week old fetus must be treated as a human, therefore it's a human, therefore abortion is murder."

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2016, 12:47 PM

The SCOTUS will kick you off the stairs for trying to step there, unless RvW gets flipped, and then you don't need the stairs.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2016, 12:53 PM

IIUC, the law applies to hospital/clinic procedures.

So, it applies to miscarriages if they happen in a hospital or clinic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules