Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RHCP Concert..

RHCP Concert..
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 10:17 AM

I dont know how mant Red Hot Chili Pepper fans there are here but I went to their concert in ATL last night and words can't describe how awesome they are live. It was everything I expected and more. Has anyone else been to any of their concerts?? On the other hand... I really REALLY could have gone without seeing the Mars Volta... if that is truly "music" then any person that can scream and make dumb noises can make music.

tboparis
Oct 27, 2006, 10:52 AM

I have never been to one of their concerts . I'm thinking of going to one the next time they're in the area though. Bu their last albums (by the way and stadium arcadium) aren't so good in my opinion so... I do know how they are on their concerts though from the videos I saw (even if concert is much better than video).
BTW: bloodsugarsexmagik rocks!!
( Last edited by tboparis; Oct 27, 2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: clarification)

natnabour
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2006, 10:52 AM

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing RHCP live, however everyone raves about their shows. As for Mars Volta - I think it is the fact that they end up playing at shows where the main band's fans don't completely mesh with their own. You have to see Mars Volta in a small venue to truly appreciate their music - it also helps if you've heard their albums beforehand. Because most of the time they take the ''jam'' approach; they start off with one song that could potentially last for 10 minutes as they build up to the climax. If you're the type of fan who likes to go to shows to sing along with the songs (not that its a bad thing) - then Mars Volta really isn't for you.

macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 12:13 PM

did they wear only socks?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Ham Sandwich
Oct 27, 2006, 12:16 PM

Saw a few RCHP concerts years ago but then their music started getting...you know. Sure they still throw a good show, tho.

tboparis
Oct 27, 2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
did they wear only socks?

Probably not: that was years ago. Now they are supposed to be more "mature".
( Last edited by tboparis; Oct 27, 2006 at 12:53 PM. Reason: I put an ':' after 'not' to make more comprehensible)

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Oct 27, 2006, 01:50 PM

Damn, I really wish I could see The Mars Volta live.

I definately agree that RHCP and The Mars Volta require two completely different atmospheres. They'd be a much more fitting opener for Skinny Puppy or Tool.
are you lightfooted?

Rumor
Oct 27, 2006, 01:53 PM

I get to go to so few concerts since I live about 3 hours away from the closest venue. However, Primus is coming to San Francisco in about 6 weeks, and I'll be damned if I'm not there.

(Flea is up there close to Les when it comes to bass players)
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by natnabour View Post
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing RHCP live, however everyone raves about their shows. As for Mars Volta - I think it is the fact that they end up playing at shows where the main band's fans don't completely mesh with their own. You have to see Mars Volta in a small venue to truly appreciate their music - it also helps if you've heard their albums beforehand. Because most of the time they take the ''jam'' approach; they start off with one song that could potentially last for 10 minutes as they build up to the climax. If you're the type of fan who likes to go to shows to sing along with the songs (not that its a bad thing) - then Mars Volta really isn't for you.
Agreed, I saw em in a small venue and it rocked the house. When they opened up for System of a Down you could tell the sound setup was geared towards the heavy metal SOAD sound instead of theirs.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I get to go to so few concerts since I live about 3 hours away from the closest venue. However, Primus is coming to San Francisco in about 6 weeks, and I'll be damned if I'm not there.

(Flea is up there close to Les when it comes to bass players)
Bastardo! I love Primus!

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 10:24 AM

Primus is awesome. I saw them years ago, before "Herb" left, and they drew the strangest audience of any concert I've ever been to.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2006, 01:24 PM

Herb was such a sick drummer, Frizzle Fry is their best album, IMO.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2006, 07:15 PM

I really like "Suck on This." I listened to that almost every day for a while there in High School.

Rumor
Oct 30, 2006, 07:19 PM

Sir Psycho Sexy
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by LegendaryPinkOx View Post
Damn, I really wish I could see The Mars Volta live. .
Not worth it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

vinster
Senior User
Nov 1, 2006, 01:50 AM

I saw them here in Denver at the local sports arena. I agree with the OP's opinioin of the Mars Volta. My description, a wall of reverberating noise. I enjoyed the RHCPs and coudn't stop yelling 'guitar warrior' after the blazing guitar solos that seem to be an integral part of many of their new songs.

Enloyable show, even with the strange opening act.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2006, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Not worth it.
Says you, woman!

Ham Sandwich
Nov 1, 2006, 01:31 PM

An example of how icky RHCP have turned, my boss (a 45 year old weenie with no musical taste) is going to see them this week. *shudder*

misc
Nov 1, 2006, 03:47 PM

Roadies in the Midst, Dave Rat tours with the Red Hot Chili Peppers . A blog from the Sound Engineer on tour with the RHCP. Pretty cool.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Forum Links
Forum Rules