Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Where to get info on OS X file system (iTunes, iPhoto)

Where to get info on OS X file system (iTunes, iPhoto)
PabloTX
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 08:40 AM

I'm just under a week into my OS X experience (Coming from Windows 3.1->95->98->98SE->2000->XP Pro - was using a Mac in the beginning though, but it's been a loooong time and an older OS).

So I'm used to the 'My Documents' folder in Windows. No real complaints about it, and it made backup very easy, as I had this folder on a separate partition, and I just backed the folder and it's contents up.

I see that my home folder is similar, but I'm a little confused as far as the filesystem goes (I know it's UNIX) but I guess my question is more with how iTunes, iPhoto, etc. deal with files.

I moved my documents (pictures, sounds, movies, music, etc) over - creating their own folder within my home directory.

But after opening iTunes, when it 'imported' the mp3s, it apparently copied all 12 GB into it's own directory...so I had duplicates of my music files...one copy where I put them, and another where iTunes put them.

With regards to iPhoto, when I imported from my camera's storage card (via PCMCIA card), it appears that iPhoto is putting all of the originals within it's own directory, and I -of course- copied the files from the iPhoto window to a 'Pictures' folder within my home directory. I kep the originals I wanted, resized a few and deleted the ones I didn't want (from the folder I created), but of course, the originals are still in the iPhoto directory that it created.

I looked through my copy of David Pogue's OS X: The Missing Manual, but apparently iPhoto has it's own book, so it was only very briefly covered.

Any suggestions on where I can go to learn more and read up on this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules