Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Isn't a bootable fast flash drive the best way to store emergency disk utilities

Isn't a bootable fast flash drive the best way to store emergency disk utilities
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Dec 14, 2010, 11:17 PM

I had this realization when I learned that the new MacBook Airs ship with their OS installer on a flash drive: no longer do I need a dedicated partition on a 2.5" FireWire disk drive with an OS and disk utilities (DiskWarrior) so that I can run hard disk checks after a system freeze away from home.

A bootable flash drive is the way to go nowadays, isn't it?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2010, 12:24 AM

That would work, but... I tried installing OS X 10.6 on a very fast 16 GB USB flash drive (but not an SSD). It worked but it was slow as hell. Perhaps it would be better on a 32 GB drive, but it would still not be fast.

Plus USB flash drives aren't meant to act as regular disk drives anyway. They don't have the repeated write lifespan that SSDs enjoy.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 15, 2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
That would work, but... I tried installing OS X 10.6 on a very fast 16 GB USB flash drive (but not an SSD). It worked but it was slow as hell. Perhaps it would be better on a 32 GB drive, but it would still not be fast.

Plus USB flash drives aren't meant to act as regular disk drives anyway. They don't have the repeated write lifespan that SSDs enjoy.
Yes, I figure that speed would be an issue. Which model did you use? I'm thinking of this one. It offers at least 20 MB/sec.

Of course, a bootable DVD is probably slower.

There's no point in buying an SSD just to have a bootable emergency disk. Besides, the small size of the flash drive is an advantage -- you can always have it with you.
( Last edited by Le Flaneur; Dec 15, 2010 at 08:47 AM. )

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 02:19 PM

There's no way it's going to be as slow as a boot CD or DVD, and it's not like an emergency rescue drive is something you use on a regular basis such that speed would really be a deal-killer. I say go for it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2010, 02:25 PM

Because too much unnecessary crap is installed, and it's not optimized.

I would use Leo 911, if it wasn't pirated

-t

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 15, 2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Because too much unnecessary crap is installed, and it's not optimized.

I would use Leo 911, if it wasn't pirated
How should one optimize the software on the flash drive once it is installed? Use Drive Genius's disk optimizer?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Le Flaneur View Post
How should one optimize the software on the flash drive once it is installed? Use Drive Genius's disk optimizer?
I dunno, that's above my paygeek grade.

I only know that Leo 911 does exactly that, but it's illegal.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2010, 04:02 PM

The flash drive I used was a quad channel Patriot XT Rage.

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
There's no way it's going to be as slow as a boot CD or DVD, and it's not like an emergency rescue drive is something you use on a regular basis such that speed would really be a deal-killer. I say go for it.
Actually, boot DVDs for those utilities are faster than OS X on a flash drive.

Can we install those utilities on a flash drive without installing the whole OS X?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 05:37 PM

Actually, boot DVDs for those utilities are faster than OS X on a flash drive.
Those DVDs can only run the one utility, though. A full rescue DVD that contained all your favorite utilities as well as the Finder to launch them will be much slower than a flash drive.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2010, 10:01 PM

Plus, DVDs are sort of uncomfortable in your pocket. On the other hand, the Patriot Xporter XT Rage 32GB costs $71.19 at Amazon. For about the same price, I can get a 320G external USB 2.0 drive, from OWC, that actually feels like a wallet in one of my pockets. That's what works for me

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 10:32 PM

There are some 32 GB drives under $40 at Amazon and Newegg.

Forum Links
Forum Rules