Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Printing to a Windows networked printer?

Printing to a Windows networked printer?
PabloTX
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 08:15 PM

I've got a HP 1200 series laserjet connected to a Windows 2000 box via USB, and on a local workgroup.

I've tried this, but the SMB option is never available to me. Any other suggestions?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...21017064855619

On OS X 10.2 (Jaguar), you can access a printer that has been shared on a Windows computer. Just follow these steps:

1. Launch Print Center
2. Hold down the Option key while clicking the Add button (in the Printer List window)
3. Select Advanced from the first pop-up menu.
4. Pick "Windows Printer via SAMBA" in the "Device" pop-up menu.
5. Enter whatever you want in "Device Name"
6. Enter the URI in "Device URI". The syntax is: smb://Server Name/Share Name
7. Pick the printer vendor from the Printer Model pop-up menu, and the subsequent model.
10.2.6 on a 17" Powerbook
( Last edited by PabloTX; Jun 19, 2003 at 08:40 PM. )

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 08:31 PM

Here are the options I get:

As you can see, no "Windows Printer via SAMBA"

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 20, 2003, 06:32 PM

That's probably because Windows 2000 doesn't know how to share a USB printer the way it can share a parallel printer.

As I recall, the 1200 is USB only, right? Bummer.

My instinct here would be to put the printer on a Mac and share it from there, because OS X does know how to share a USB printer with Windows computers.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 02:57 PM

In this situation, does the driver come from the mac or the pc.

I have an HP720 connected via parallel to a windows machine running win98. There are no mac drivers for this machine because it uses windows to drive the printer.

Can I use this method to print to it or do i need a different approach.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:

My instinct here would be to put the printer on a Mac and share it from there, because OS X does know how to share a USB printer with Windows computers.
Well, the problem is that the Mac is a 17" Powerbook which doesn't stay on/plugged in at all times. I want to be able to print from the backyard, couch, kitchen, etc.

I was able to get the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" option (perhaps after I installed Gimp Print), but am unable to connect to the actual printer. Not sure if the path is incorrect

I've tried:

smb://workgroupname/Win2Kboxname/printersharename

and

smb://Win2Kboxname/printersharename

HP makes a wireless Jetdirect, and I might look at that, but at ~$200, not too cheap.

Up to this point, I've just been saving anything I need to print to .pdf, then e-mailing or transferring the file via network to the windows box and printing from there, but I'd like to be able to print directly.

Thanks for the suggestions.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 08:29 PM

check out this hint to show you how to enable the option the origional hint referred to (found this one earlier today myself)

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...20824202229751

Jaguar includes "CUPS" as printing system. This enables automatic printer browsing for remote machines, printer sharing etc. If you've got a Linux machine with CUPS running besides your Mac, you are able to print to all anchient printers, where the manufacturer doesn't provide an OSX driver to. (LinuxPrinting.org)

Hint: cupsomatic seems to fail for me when getting a PDF job from my mac. Changing debug to "1" (my debug="1") in cupsomatic helps.

To enable printing from Jaguar via Samba to Windows machines, you've got to include "smbspool" as cups backend. Grab Terminal as root and enter:
% cd /usr/libexec/cups/backend
% ln -s /usr/bin/smbspool smb
Now reboot (or restart cups by "kill -HUP"). Print Center cowardly refuses to add SMB printers. So grab your favorite browser and enter "http://127.0.0.1:631" as URL. Go to printers, add a printer, and use "Windows Printer via SAMBA" as Device. The printer URL may be one of the following, depending on your environment (see cups documentation):
smb://userass@workgroup/server/sharename
smb://server/sharename
Unfortunately, the number of printer drivers included with cups is quite low and the usual MacOS X vendor drivers are not updated yet. If you don't find your model listed, consider gimp-print. You need the Developer Tools to compile and install gimp-print.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

darren h
Oct 1, 2003, 07:37 PM

This article might be useful?

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ght=stylus+c80

Hope it helps

Forum Links
Forum Rules