Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iPhoto/.mac photo album question

iPhoto/.mac photo album question
PabloTX
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2003, 09:14 PM

I'm not too familiar with .mac, and I'm hoping someone who is might be able to answer a question for me.

I shoot pretty high resolution(2272x1704 pixels, and sometimes higher). This is okay for iPhoto, but obviously overkill for the web.

Is there any way to auto-resize the images when publishing to a .mac photo album (to say 800x600)? Or would I have to import the pictures, copy to a different folder, resize, then publish the duplicates?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2003, 09:17 PM

It does that for you, I'm pretty sure.

rlmorel
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2003, 09:41 PM

When you do the photo album I believe it makes a pdf out of it (transparently to the user, I think) In any case, you do have a drastically reduced data set being sent out. The books are totally cool. I made one for my wife, and she loved it!

"An argument isn't just saying 'No it isn't'!" "Yes it is!" "NO IT ISN'T!"

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2003, 09:44 PM

errrr...I mean the online homepage photo album (as opposed to the hardcover bound option (which is very nice)

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2003, 10:31 AM

Anyone know?

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2003, 10:49 AM

I have a 5 megapixel camera, and the images are around 2 MB a piece (I think..its been a while) when I import them.

When publishing to .Mac, iPhoto reduces the size. The JPG's it posts are on the order of 100 KB.

I can't remember all the options...I'm stuck on my Windows PC at work.

There is another option in iPhoto under the File menu called Export. This will create a standalone web page for you. That allows you to specify the dimensions to use. It creates the main page, thumbbnails, etc. It does not have the borders, etc. of .Mac thought.

Hope this helps,
Jake
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

PabloTX  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2003, 01:30 PM

Thanks for the clarification!

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2003, 07:09 AM

There are no options for file size when using iPhotos Homepage creation tool. It just automagically reduces them to about 100-200kb as previously stated.

If you want more control over the images and the pages, I suggest exporting your images to reduced dimention jpgs and then batch converting the quality using GraphicConverter, then manually uploading them to your iDisk and making the page using .Mac. There are many more themes available using on the website than in iPhoto.

iPhoto does not allow you to select the quality when converting/exporting jpgs, so just making the dimentions smaller often does not result in a small enough file for the web.

This is one of the big disadvantages of iPhoto, but GraphicConverter fills the gap pretty well.

I guess Apple doesn't want your files too small, because they want you to buy more iDisk space...
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

iBean
Forum Regular
Sep 13, 2003, 09:09 AM

I automatically scales down the pictures to 800x600 (if you upload them through iPhoto, of course).

D.

Forum Links
Forum Rules