Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Rio MP3 players

Rio MP3 players
RydDragyn
Nov 17, 2003, 01:06 PM

What are everyone's experiences with these devices?

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Nov 17, 2003, 01:29 PM

Worked with iTunes last time I tried (I bought an ipod!) sound OK. Limited memory though.

suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by RydDragyn:
THEY SUCK! AND SO DOES THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE!
I bought a rio600 from a grand opening of the apple store in mass at the northshore mall, and after 2 months the damn thing would shut off after 4 mins of play and tell me the battery was dead. The thing went through batteries like a hooker goes through johns and condoms! I contacted their customer service 10 times, and even called the parent company and got only 2 responses, one was i had to pay to ship the unit back and the would fix it and then charge me for shipping the unit back to me! and the other was i had to pay to ship the unit back and they would give me another one. I told the cust rep both times i would not pay for shipping due to their defective product having to be serviced, at which point i was connected to a supervisor who advised me that if i didnt like their terms, I could "just keep the damn thing" so the rio600 now sits on my desk at work and every time someone asks me about it i tell them my story and make sure they never ever consider buying a product from rio. I sincerely hope i have cost them thousands of lost revenue.
As a matter of fact, i'm looking at the damn paperweight right now....
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

dudesteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2003, 02:30 PM

Rio's itunes integration is only so-so. It xfers songs just fine, but doesn't seem to allow for playlists to be created. A very big thing to be missing!

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by suprz's ghost:
THEY SUCK! AND SO DOES THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE!
<snip>
I have had exactly the same experience with Rio. They have an unsatisfactory rating with the BBB - that's almost impossible to get for a legitimate company.
http://www.phoenix.bbb.org/commonrep...471&national=Y
http://www.bbbsilicon.org/common.htm...&compid=211925
I had the rio exchanged for a new one after one month because it stopped working. The replacement also stopped working, and I had to send it in for repair. In total, I send the rio in 3 times to be repaired. The last time I sent the rio in it took 6 months to get back.
( Last edited by jtc; Nov 19, 2003 at 09:53 PM. )

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2003, 03:48 PM

Well, I had a Rio 600 and it served me well. I gave it to my 11 year old nephew some tiome ago, and he uses it with iTunes 3 with no problem (haven't put 4/iTMS on his iMac). I now have my trusty 5GB iPod--which I won't even bother comparing it to.

But I digress...when I did have it, my earbuds went out. I emailed them because I wanted the streetstyle headphones that the guy had on the commercials that aired back then. They sent them to me, free. So their customer service seemed fine to me.

So, I had no problems with my Rio, other than that first set of rubbery earbuds. What impressed me the most was the battery life. Somewhere around 12 hours on one AA.

That being said, they don't support AAC, so I couldn't recomment one.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by RydDragyn:
I had a Rio 600. Works with iTunes (version 1, 2 and 3, haven't try version 4 yet), because it bundles with a version of Sound Jam as the player to rip MP3 from CD and transfer it into Rio, and Apple actually bought the Sound Jam IP for the original development of Sound Jam. You can even use iTunes to update Rio's firmware!

Bear in mind that it only has 32Mb or 64Mb internal memory (unless you have the memory add-on pack), so you can only have 10-20 songs roughly (it's all depends on the bit rate of MP3). If you only to 5-10 songs at a time, I guess it's not a bad player.

Forum Links
Forum Rules