Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G4 + High Res Monitor

iMac G4 + High Res Monitor
IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 01:16 AM

I've got a G4 iMac here, and am planning to get a 23" Philips LCD for use with it (not as a primary display, casual use), however the LCD's native resolution is 1900x1200 and the iMac's maximum video output is 1024x768. What will happen if I try to drive the LCD with it? I can see two possibilities, either the picture is stretched, or it ends up with black bars on its side (or worse, the picture has black bars on all sides).

I can't imagine the stretching thing working too well give then the screens are different aspect ratios (4:3 vs. 16:10). Anyone with experience with big screens and iMacs care to elighten me?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2004, 01:44 AM

You might be able to do it, but it requires a hack to work. In its standard configuration, no iMac can do monitor spanning. All it can do is mirroring at the same resolution as the built in display.

You said that your monitor's resolution is 1024x768. That means you have a 15" iMac. The only 15" iMac that can be hacked to support monitor spanning is the 1 GHz model. If you have an 800 MHz or lower model, it will not work and you shouldn't buy that LCD.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

IEEE1394  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 04:05 PM

I am aware that it will only do mirroring, I just would like to know how the picture will turn out on the display, whether it will be stretched or have black borders or what.

Dex13
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2004, 08:55 PM

Wouldn't you be able to resize it via the controls on the lcd?

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2004, 09:53 PM

It is most likely that it will be stretched. On your iMac drop the internal LCD's resolution down to something like 640x480 to see what it does - it makes everything look quite blurry.

Unless your iMac can use the screen spanning hack, don't get anything bigger than a 15" LCD which has a resolution of 1024x768. Even a 17" LCD will look silly as it has a native resolution of 1280x1024.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

IEEE1394  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2004, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the replies; after re-considering it I've decided not to go with a HUEGE LCD, but a projector. Bigger picture + cheaper. Win.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 17, 2004, 10:34 AM

Many iMac G4 models can use Screen Spanning Doctor to enable true multi-display support.

See http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules