Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > spending money for no practical reason

spending money for no practical reason
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 12:47 AM

Has anyone had one of these chairs or these ?

Now that I have a decent disposable income I can buy something completely unnecessary like this and I have wanted one of these since I was old enough to go to the mall on my own. I was just wondering if anyone had bought one in the past and found it to be more useful than just as a novelty.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2005, 12:54 AM

No, but it looks uncomfortable. I have long legs so maybe you wouldn't have any problem.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 12:55 AM

When I had disposable income I bought one of these.

Why buy what you've always wanted? You will have nothing left to live for sounds like.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 01:03 AM

Way freakin' overpriced.
(Consumer hint - never buy anything from Sharper Image, their markup is ridiculous.)
I used to have a recliner with massage and heat. Never bothered using them after the first few weeks.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2005, 01:10 AM

I wouldn't buy a damned thing from Sharper Image. Most of what they peddle is overpriced junk.

That aside, I have a Panasonic Shiatsu EP-1014 and it's just awesome, it's a wonderful thing after a rough day. Even as a regular recliner it's very comfortable. If you have the resources, I highly recommend one.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

JustAnOl'Broad
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Has anyone had one of these chairs or these ?

Now that I have a decent disposable income I can buy something completely unnecessary like this and I have wanted one of these since I was old enough to go to the mall on my own. I was just wondering if anyone had bought one in the past and found it to be more useful than just as a novelty.
Your picks look very comfy; my choice was much more afordable - decent
back massage; but reeeeeeeallly stinks as a chair to just relax in.

(hopefully that pic link worked; my first pic link. ta da.
learned that here....along with all sorts of proper grammar, that I haven't
started using yet.)

P~

"cake or death?" good evening, cake or death?

jbartone
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2005, 02:13 AM

Go back in time to last year and buy AAPL stock.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 02:43 AM

$10,000+ for a "real" Barcelona chair...

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 03:26 AM

1. Shaper image is overpriced
2. First chair = weird, second one = worse.. that 'leg seperator' is creepy man.
3. At least you aint buying an aeron chair.
4. Barcelona sofas or whatever.. I dunno why, but I really don't like em hehehh..

Okay, dropped my 2 cents
Aloha

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 03:55 AM

Money can be spend on better things than a ****ing chair. What a waste.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Feb 26, 2005, 04:01 AM

Those massage chairs really do suck. Save your money and go get a real massage.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 04:19 AM

WHen it comes to a desk chair, I'm the kind to buy something like that:

1. Inexpensive (less than $100)
2. Lasts a long time (metal arms, some have metal bases, nothing to crack or wear out too soon.. piping trim always tends to get rubbed against table and worn out but who cares.. there's cloth too!)
3. 'cept for the ones with the 'head rest' (bad thing if you're tall!), very comfy

So yeah.. $100 chair.. otherwise I'll just get a nice living room chair or a sofa or something
Aloha

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 04:26 AM

My son-in-law has a great Lazy Boy recliner, that has umpteem massage settings, variable heat controls, and a small fridge in one of the armrests. He has had one hip replaced, has had fusion surgery on the other, and it needs to be replaced as well, so his parents bought the recliner for him. I'm sure it was considerably cheaper than $2000. I had a pretty bad case of a pinched sciatic nerve a couple of months ago, and it was very, very comforting to use that recliner. I have a Lazy Boy recliner as well, but it doesn't have the massage and heat settings, although it is very comfortable for reading, and taking a quick nap.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 04:37 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:
Money can be spend on better things than a ****ing chair. What a waste.
Ehh, and what would I buy? I don't need a $2500 G5 and the $60K Audi I want would require $6000 in parking rental fees or $40K to purchase the spot all of which is pointless since I live close enough to walk to work and to go out the bars. Plus since I want to buy a condo next year the chair is just something I want that isn't overly extravagant. I am putting money away so this isn't a waste. Its not even that large an amount of cash.

MacStein: $1600 isn't bad and I could swing it but since this I don't expect a professional grade massage from a mechanical device is that Panasonic chair twice as good as the cheaper SI chair?

Ricky: I am not trying to decorate my place. So while I am sure that chair is worth the 10K when I do buy a more permanent place to live I already have a set of chairs in mind. Go over to watertower and at Calypso 968 there's a great chair that you can get upholstered in weathed brown leather for about $3000. Those are the ones I am buying.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 04:56 AM

If you don't know what to get with your disposable income, donate it to me. I don't even have a car, let alone a 2 roomed apartment.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Feb 26, 2005, 05:15 AM

If you want a chair that`ll stay with you for a long time get one of these:

"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 06:33 AM

Now THOSE are cool chairs.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2005, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Now THOSE are cool chairs.

Yup. My grandparents have had those chairs for the past fifteen years or so, they are so comfy.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 26, 2005, 07:30 AM

Actually, MoS is right - why not buy something that will a) keep its value should you ever find yourself in a tight spot and need the cash, and b) is a timeless piece of furniture instead of some piece of elecetronic gadgetry that even your kids might be proud of one day?

This one's a good example and probably the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in ... "Lounge Chair (Eames Collection)"

It would set you back about $4,000, though

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2005, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
From this angle, it looks like a smiling female hippopotamus (a hippapotamus perhaps?). Very cute.

JohnSmithXTREME
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2005, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I wouldn't buy a damned thing from Sharper Image. Most of what they peddle is overpriced junk.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 08:38 AM

Personally, I think spending thousands of dollars on something to sit your @ss on is ridiculous.

But, to each his own.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Feb 26, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Ois�n:
From this angle, it looks like a smiling female hippopotamus (a hippapotamus perhaps?). Very cute.

I never looked at it that way. Not that I have any experience with (ab-)using hippos as chairs but I'm certain this is the comfiest one. And a lot less messy than a real hippo, I assume.

(landlord:) "You have any pets?"
(cpt. obvious:) "Indeed I do - this is Gerda, my hippo - 6,000lbs."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

MacStein: $1600 isn't bad and I could swing it but since this I don't expect a professional grade massage from a mechanical device is that Panasonic chair twice as good as the cheaper SI chair?
Actually, I bought the Panasonic as a closeout for $1500, was a great deal. However, I have tried the Sharper Image chair (the second one) and it was ok, but the Panny was more comfortable and had more massage settings.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by effgee:
Actually, MoS is right - why not buy something that will a) keep its value should you ever find yourself in a tight spot and need the cash, and b) is a timeless piece of furniture instead of some piece of elecetronic gadgetry that even your kids might be proud of one day?

This one's a good example and probably the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in ... "Lounge Chair (Eames Collection)"

It would set you back about $4,000, though

I know a couple that has two of these in white leather they got from her grandparents.
They are close to 30-year-old chairs and still WAY comfy. And they are worth about $15,000.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:

I have a chair similar to that. Purchased it over 18 years ago from Relax the Back. Very comfortable, only problem is that its not made for the tall individual. Ergonomics is important.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2005, 01:04 PM

Give money to charity.
-\
-/

charon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2005, 02:23 PM

Woah, those are cool. You can't really sit at a desk with those, can you? It wouldn't be too stable and you would probably keep tipping over. Good for reading a book though.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2005, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by charon:
Woah, those are cool. You can't really sit at a desk with those, can you? It wouldn't be too stable and you would probably keep tipping over. Good for reading a book though.
No, using them for desk work is quite impossible, I'd say, without having ever actually tried it. They're too big to fit close enough to the desk anyway.

Tipping over isn't the problem, though - if you only want to sit up straight, you can easily do that. You can still lean back quite a bit without tipping backwards.

The possible problem (for some) with these chairs is the fact that children can't use them, it just doesn't work. When my grandparents got theirs, I was about 7 or 8, and I tried and I tried forever, but I just could not get those damn chairs to tip backwards so I could 'lie down'. You have to have a certain weight before you can move the balance point backwards.

Also, be careful not to push off too hard, 'cause yes, you can end up going further back than the 'runners' (or whatever you call them on a chair) are supposed to go, and then you end up on the floor with a chair on top of you. You do have to kick off really hard to do that, though.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2005, 04:42 PM

Marry someone who has exceptional massage skills. We don't need no stinkin' massage chair!

I can't quite decide if that gravity chair looks cool, or goofy as hell. It could swing either way.

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 06:26 PM

THat is by far the most ridiculous chair I've ever seen.
Aloha

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Link:
THat is by far the most ridiculous chair I've ever seen.

Origami Chair
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 26, 2005, 07:58 PM

Buy a piece of art.

Buy a Sam Maloof rocker.

sugar_coated
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2005, 07:21 PM

A chair can say a lot about a person who sits on it regularly, I prefer to sit on the lowly floor.
-\
-/

Link
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by sugar_coated:
A chair can say a lot about a person who sits on it regularly, I prefer to sit on the lowly floor.
Sitting on floor = bad back
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules