Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Netatalk or Samba for serving OSX clients?

Netatalk or Samba for serving OSX clients?
dcarmich
Nov 28, 2005, 03:43 PM

I'm going to be installing a FreeBSD 6 server for a Mac-based studio, and I'm wondering whether it would be better to use netatalk or Samba for serving files to the OSX clients on the network.

(The OSX boxes are both going to be Tiger, so version issues aren't an issue.)

What have your experiences been?

What would be easier to install?

--Douglas

IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2005, 05:21 PM

In my experience, install and setup of samba is much, much easier than netatalk. In fact, last time I tried to install netatalk I gave up as it required adding heaps of packages and I couldn't see the advantage over samba. Also if for any reason you get Windows clients turning up they'll be access the samba shares as well.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 28, 2005, 08:15 PM

I disagree.

It is not wise to choose a protocol that isn't native to either of the systems you'll be using. AppleShare isn't native to BSD, but it is to Mac OS. It also will facilitate sharing between Mac OS X Macs and Mac OS 9 ones, should the need arise.

tooki

IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2005, 12:03 AM

I agree with AppleShare being (in theory) the more suitable protocol here, but in my experience samba has been much easier to setup. I have found that both seem to work equally well, and thus with the easier setup, chose samba.

Just go with what you feel.
( Last edited by IEEE1394; Nov 29, 2005 at 03:22 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 29, 2005, 03:17 PM

Not AppleTalk. AppleShare. AppleShare can run over TCP/IP, which is in fact the preferred transfer protocol under Mac OS X.

AppleTalk is the deprecated network protocol stack (not the file sharing protocol) that Apple doesn't even activate by default on OS X. I wouldn't recommend using AppleTalk for AppleShare any more.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules