Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Which Mac will go Intel first?

View Poll Results: Which Mac will go Intel first?
Poll Options:
PowerMacs 22 votes (15.38%)
eMac 1 votes (0.70%)
PowerBooks/iBook 77 votes (53.85%)
iMacs 2 votes (1.40%)
Mini 39 votes (27.27%)
Xserve 2 votes (1.40%)
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll
Which Mac will go Intel first? (Page 2)
Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Why does everbody think of Aperture as some sort of replacement of Photoshop ? NOBODY will drop Photoshop because of Aperture since they are completely different apps.
Again, Aperture is able to be used for a LOT of what People use Photoshop for. Personally though I do a lot of work from scratch with my tablet. So it wouldn't replace Photoshop for me. That said though if Apple can do this with RAW photos do you honestly think that Apple doesn't already have an App in development that is as Powerful as Aperture is, but simply designed to do a large chunk of what Photoshop and Illustrator do?
Nobody knew Apple was developing this, and it's pretty obvious as of late that Steve does NOT like the idea of Apple living or dying based on one ISV. And Adobe's support of the Mac has been less than 100% lately. So I have little doubt that Apple isn't developing something that they somewhat hope they'll never have to release.

So is Aperture designed to take on Photoshop, no. That said, Final Cut Studio wasn't designed in one year. First we had FCP, then we had DVDSP, then we had Sound Track, Motion, LiveType, Cinema Tools, and so on and so forth. What everyone is looking forward to is the fact that Apple just might do for Photography what they've already done for Video.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 23, 2005, 10:23 PM

Laptops first, Power Macs last.

Warung
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
My bet is that any Pro system with Intel procs is gona be able to run Aperture no problem.
Well, accoring to Apple's own system requirements this is not the case. And from what I have experience with Motion, I doubt any "Pro system" (whatever that means) will run it equally well.

I'm willing to bet that with anything less than a 1,8 GHz G5 and 1,5 gigs of RAM it'll be choppy as all hell.

Originally Posted by Salty
As well there are lots of people who use Photoshop exclusively for things like colour correction and what not.
Right. And these people aren't going to switch to "Aperture" and pay an EXTRA $499 to do RAW editing and color correction in a fancy UI.
( Last edited by Warung; Oct 24, 2005 at 03:37 AM. )

Warung
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2005, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Scandalous Ion Cannon
Bloatware? Gimmie a break. Have you ever used RAW files in photoshop? Just using ONE on a Dual g5 is a pain in the ass. Aperture does a much better job than photoshop by the looks of it with MULTIPLE files.
Actually I have used Photoshop for editing a RAW file once or twice on my 1 GHz G4 PowerBook using 768 MB RAM, and yes, it wasn't pretty. BUT, having said thatâ„¢, I'm pretty sure that if you used both apps on top of the line G5s with 2 gigs of RAM, you'd get an at least comparable experience.

At any rate, this app is, at best, an addition to PS, and at almost $500, completely overpriced. Especially since the (proficient) use of it would require a hardware upgrade for a lot of people.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2006, 01:45 PM

The firmware updaters released for Airport Express/Extreme yesterday are universal binaries. Interesting a week before macworld....

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 11:15 AM

It's getting exciting with five more days left.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2006, 11:45 AM

OK OK, I'm excited!
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

sworthy
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 12:10 PM

wait... all of those posts were at roughly the same time except for the last one, which was a full 15 minutes later. weird...

btw, I'm saying powerbooks and ibooks (at least announced at the same time)

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 12:17 PM

This may be of interest, via uk.comp.mac (I am not Ian btw)

Friend of mine has just told me of his experience at the Regent Street Apple Store on Saturday. I've convinced him to go Mac, and he went in on Saturday (without telling me) to get a Mac Mini.

The staff in the store dropped as many hints as they possibly could without outright saying so, that maybe that Saturday wasn't the day to be buying one. Even though they all apparently have fifty quid off at the moment. That's pretty much confirmation of the new Mini rumour as far as I'm concerned, and also confirmation that Regent Street has stock of the new ones I would have thought.

Cheers,
Ian

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 01:29 PM

It's getting exciting with five more days left.

[Why not?]

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
The firmware updaters released for Airport Express/Extreme yesterday are universal binaries. Interesting a week before macworld....
As were the Java updates Apple released a month ago or so.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2006, 01:37 PM

I think it may well be the PowerBook first, iBook second and iMac third. The PowerBook is the line that apparently drove Apple to bail on the Mac in the first place, so it makes sense that it would be the first to get Peeceed. Alternatively, perhaps SJ will announce that the transition was one huge terrible joke.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2006, 01:51 PM

I just got a MacMall catalog.

"What will Apple introduce at Macworld on 1/10/06? Call MacMall today for the latest product announcements!"

I know it's not anything obvious, but I've never seen a pre-show ad like that on a Mac catalog. That, plus Blizzard's statement about Universal binaries with WoW, I'm pretty sure Intel machines are coming next week.

MIke

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2006, 02:23 PM

ibook, powerbook, apple mini
then later imac, powermac

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2006, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by starman
I just got a MacMall catalog.

"What will Apple introduce at Macworld on 1/10/06? Call MacMall today for the latest product announcements!"

I know it's not anything obvious, but I've never seen a pre-show ad like that on a Mac catalog. That, plus Blizzard's statement about Universal binaries with WoW, I'm pretty sure Intel machines are coming next week.
The catalogs have done that before.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules