Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Cut Puerto Rico loose

Cut Puerto Rico loose
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2009, 08:16 PM

I know HR 2499 will never go anywhere but it really needs to happen. If Puerto Rico doesn't want to become a state then they need to cut ties with the United States and become an independent nation.

They benefit far too much from their current status while contributing virtually nothing to the United States.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I know HR 2499 will never go anywhere but it really needs to happen. If Puerto Rico doesn't want to become a state then they need to cut ties with the United States and become an independent nation.

They benefit far too much from their current status while contributing virtually nothing to the United States.
Yeah, bunch of brown-skinned do-nothings!

Rumor
Aug 29, 2009, 12:11 AM

What about Guam?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2009, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Yeah, bunch of brown-skinned do-nothings!
I sometimes wonder who owns the "stumblinmike" joke account, it's got to be the longest lasting in the history of MacNN.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I sometimes wonder who owns the "stumblinmike" joke account, it's got to be the longest lasting in the history of MacNN.
Well, that's not very professional. At least I'm dedicated! I am sorry to have offended you, I must have touched a nerve.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I personally suspect the same people behind the Abe accounts. Similar entertainment styles.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2009, 01:33 PM

I beg to differ! I think you need to watch Progress Island USA.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
What about Guam?
Virgin Islands? American Samoa?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Virgin Islands? American Samoa?
Texas ?

-t

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2009, 02:59 PM

The US couldn't cut them loose because it'd open the door for another power to influence them. We have to control the oceans and to do that we need to control strategic choke points and staging areas -- both to deny them to others and to better project naval power.

If it focused on the issue, the US could bring more pressure to bear or simply incentivize statehood.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The US couldn't cut them loose because it'd open the door for another power to influence them. We have to control the oceans and to do that we need to control strategic choke points and staging areas -- both to deny them to others and to better project naval power.

If it focused on the issue, the US could bring more pressure to bear or simply incentivize statehood.
That has got to be the most username-appropriate post I've ever read

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I personally suspect the same people behind the Abe accounts. Similar entertainment styles.
I agree, it's only spoiled by the inflammatory nature of all their posts. If there were some lighter comments, or even a couple that are vaguely human, the quality would be much higher.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2009, 03:26 AM

Nothing??? how about the army, navy, etc?? i think it's a fair deal, but of course would wish to become a state.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 31, 2009, 08:16 AM

PR is a very diverse place for such a small bit of territory. Last time they had a referendum on statehood, didn't they split so close that the idea was trashed for quite a while?

Anyway, what cost does the US bear for having PR as part of the country? Compare that to what we waste even debating bridges to nowhere and so on.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules