Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why those horrible DVD-cases ?

Why those horrible DVD-cases ?
Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 09:03 AM

Does anyone have a clue why all DVD's, PlayStation 2 and other games come in those awful cases that require adapted storage room. Why don't they just use the regular standard CD-size ?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 09:21 AM

Because they look like "more" with a bigger packaging. If they'd be in the same case as a regular CD, they'd look expensive in comparison.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 10:16 AM

plus they can take more of a beating and still look fine, you ever drop a jewle case and not have the hinge brake?

what i am more pissed at is why the hell did they come out with two designs for the dvd cases, anyone have the matrix? i hate that style it feels so cheap compared to the entire black plastic ones.

also they wanted to seel you another media holder

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 2, 2003, 10:28 AM

I HATE THE CHEAP ASS HALF PAPER DVD CASES! THEY SUCK SO BAD! They're slightly BIGGER so they don't fit in your rack as well, they get beat up easily, and they just look like CRAP. I HATE THEM! ARGH!

- Ca$h

cpt kangarooski
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 10:31 AM

G4ME
also they wanted to seel you another media holder
No, they didn't. DVD keepcases are the same height as VHS tapes. If you had a video rack already, the DVDs should fit in it perfectly.

It's vaguely similar to how, back in the day, CDs came in a ton of extra cardboard so that they would fit in record bins. (and so did tapes from time to time, come to think of it)
--
This and all my other posts are hereby in the public domain. I am a lawyer. But I'm not your lawyer, and this isn't legal advice.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 11:30 AM

DVD cases are the same proportions as movie posters so the art transfers easier.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 11:30 AM

but the depth isn't the same so they will be sticking out

BTW cash they are the same hight, bud different depths. the card board ones have an extra 1/2 cm on the plastic ones if that.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 12:02 PM

We have three different kinds overhere(not including special editions, etc..).The black plastic ones, the half cardboard ones and then the clear plastic ones that are much thinner. (about as thin as a jewelcase) They are all the same hight though. Of all these I like the normal black ones the most.

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 2, 2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
\BTW cash they are the same hight, bud different depths. the card board ones have an extra 1/2 cm on the plastic ones if that.
That still makes them 'bigger', and there's enough of a difference so they don't fit in my rack well, they stick out like a sore thumb, so all the cardboard ones I have "Just Cause", "Oceans 11" and a few others sit BEHIND the entertainment center so nobody can see them.

GAH.

- Ca$h

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 04:43 PM

Most of them are coming in the rounded plastic cases these days, only really old editions coming in the digipack half cardboard format. I prefer the double DVD sets with that wee hinge thing, but still have a soft spot for some digiapack style cases - The NIN case is lovely, as well as the Fellowship Special Edition, but Digipacks always go horrible and worn very quickly, especially the horribly put together outer sleeves.

Here's a question - box sets. I just got the Python box set and am in two minds wether to keep them in the sleeve, or throw the sleeve in a cupboard. This also goes for most cardboard cases - do you want it to look cool on your shelf, or keep the case as nice as possible?
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

starman
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2003, 04:50 PM

First, don't complain about DVD packaging. You've never owned laserdiscs so you never had to deal with even WORSE storage problems.

Second, it's nice that you can put the movie poster on the front cover. If you used jewel cases, you'd have to crop it. These are movies, not albums.

Third, they're half the width of VHS.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 04:58 PM

I can't say I've ever even considered the issue. Never even gave it one second of thought.

Having a bad day, Rob?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
I can't say I've ever even considered the issue. Never even gave it one second of thought.

Having a bad day, Rob?
I pray that isn't anything serious?

I also much prefer the plastic over the cardboard case. To me the cardboard case is cheap and flimsy!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by starman:
First, don't complain about DVD packaging. You've never owned laserdiscs so you never had to deal with even WORSE storage problems.
I own a laserdisc player and a few laserdiscs. I just keep them in a milk crate with my LPs...

imaxxedout69
Banned
May 2, 2003, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Dogma:
Most of them are coming in the rounded plastic cases these days, only really old editions coming in the digipack half cardboard format.
Wrong. Oceans 11 came in the half cardboard crap, and that was a pretty new movie. >:|

I think the cardboard ones are a lot cheaper, thats why movie people use em sometimes.

- Ca$h

hayesk
May 2, 2003, 06:55 PM

I don't mind the cases, it's the stupid little spindle things that hold the DVD in the case that bug me. Sometimes I think I'm going to break the disk in half trying to get it out of the case.

The only good spindle thingy, is the one that looks like a ying-yang symbol - the rest suck.

Truepop
Mac Elite
May 2, 2003, 10:41 PM

On the Matrix I when to http://www.cdcovers.cc/ and downloaded a High Res version of it and printed it for the good plastic ones.

I like things neat. you should see my files on my computer. Also it drives me crazy when the Finder over-rides my folder settings. I wish there was a way to just make ALL the folders Global.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 12:05 AM

The case The Matrix comes in is called a Snapper and every single person hates them. the black cases are called Kepp cases, and people usually like them.

check out www.hometheatreforums.com These are the experts (spending 2K per hair for there 500K home theatre).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

starman
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
On the Matrix I when to http://www.cdcovers.cc/ and downloaded a High Res version of it and printed it for the good plastic ones.

I like things neat. you should see my files on my computer. Also it drives me crazy when the Finder over-rides my folder settings. I wish there was a way to just make ALL the folders Global.
Your sig is animated.

Mike

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 01:21 AM

Your sig is animated.
Yeah it is, and it's hilarious!

I too hate the "Snappers". One of my pet peeves is bad packaging. Bad packaging of any kind gets me real ornery. And by bad packaging, I mean poorly designed.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 01:31 AM

Your sig is animated.

Mike

But its not too animated. That's what is so cool about it. Cracked me up when I first realized it.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by Mac Write:
The case The Matrix comes in is called a Snapper and every single person hates them. the black cases are called Kepp cases, and people usually like them.

check out www.hometheatreforums.com These are the experts (spending 2K per hair for there 500K home theatre).
meah anyone paying over 25 grand its wasting there money, IMO. Unless they are dealing with a 25 foot sreen 4 point subbing (drool i will have that eventually motherfackers) Although i can see where they spend that cash, to accusitcly treat a room some of those sound absorbing pannels are 400 bucks a pop and not to mention the rack system people out there have.

I just think is a tad bit over kill. but yet again if i had the money i wouldn't even spend that much money i would build all of it my self and save the 3 grand on a nice sub that i designed myself and only cost me 600, can anyone say DUAL AV15 with a Classic Crown Amp to power the 2 ohm load? okay i need to stop because i am getting to excited,

oh and rob go whack off you your poser Angle Eye head lights you ricer wannnabe

hayesk
May 3, 2003, 12:02 PM

But its not too animated. That's what is so cool about it. Cracked me up when I first realized it.
I just noticed. Colin Mochrie is funny, anumated or not.

Dogma
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by imaxxedout69:
Wrong. Oceans 11 came in the half cardboard crap, and that was a pretty new movie. >:|

I think the cardboard ones are a lot cheaper, thats why movie people use em sometimes.

- Ca$h
Yeah, but Oceans 11 was total kak. It came out out in Plastic over here anyway, as that what my post was about. It is cheaper to do cardboard - SOMETIMES - but they also used to do the double sided DVD instead of dual layer to save money, but as there was so much of public backlash when they seemed to be doing it more they started doing the dual layer again - so much so that I haven't seen one of them for about two years. The same (esp. over her) is happening with the digipack cases. Almost every shop has the older digipack DVDs reduced, and only new special editions seem to be using any kind of card in the packaging. All down to what people WILL buy.

They do tend to listen to us in the UK more though - as we get ripped off for anything like that, they seem to respond like they owe us what we ask for. So, a good and bad way of looking at it.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 04:13 PM

I guess my eyesight is worse than I though, can't see any animation at all. Is there a trick to viewing?

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 04:13 PM

is the ONLY company that use paperback DVD case. The reason they chose paperback is that it save money and show people that WB is the leading movie company.

I prefer the black plastic DVD case. It's far more professional and stronger.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I guess my eyesight is worse than I though, can't see any animation at all. Is there a trick to viewing?
Try staring at it for 10 seconds

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2003, 04:20 PM

i have the Long Kiss goodnight and the original Se7en on dvd and they are in the cardboard type although its New Line Cinima not WB. Also Dr. Strange Love is done by Columbia Pics and it has the cardboard type

Truepop
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 04:22 PM

<offtopic>Ok so I need to lose the sig? Can I not have it like this?

If size is a problem then that this in to mind. my old sigs were 1k bigger.

</offtopic>

Anyway, Snappers suck IMHO. I don't think Warner is the only company putting them out. Last man standing with bruce willis and Ninja Turtles are also a snapper and is marketed by new line. unless that is a warner company.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

is the ONLY company that use paperback DVD case. The reason they chose paperback is that it save money and show people that WB is the leading movie company.

I prefer the black plastic DVD case. It's far more professional and stronger.
Actually, it was because they inked a deal with the company that makes the cases.

However, they've been straying away from them lately. Goldmember and a few others are NOT in the snapper cases.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules