Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Rejected

Rejected
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 06:51 PM

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 11, 2004, 07:02 PM

Hey, that is pretty damn funny. Basically, whoever he chooses now will be his second choice, and not the dude he originally hoped to get to run with him.

Atomic Rooster
Jun 11, 2004, 08:00 PM

'Both officials said Kerry stopped short of offering McCain the job, sparing himself an outright rejection that would make his eventual running mate look like a second choice".

He's probably talked to many peeps MaCain being one. Obviously someone in McCains camp is a blabbermouth. Unless this is another LIE.

So i don't get the point of this. except a chance for the republicans to come in here for a circular mutual masturbation party.

McCain does think Bush sucks tho and blows big chunks.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
'

So i don't get the point of this. except a chance for the republicans to come in here for a circular mutual masturbation party.
Well sh!t, replace that with democrats and you just described 85% of the threads begun in this forum.
Or Europeans or MacNN Muslims..... pretty long list. GOP members are not the majority in this board

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 08:06 PM

Yes, a failed chance at trying to reverse the polarization of American politics. Oh the hilarity!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2004, 09:03 PM

Of course George Bush was Reagan's second choice for VP. Richard Nixon was offered the job first.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2004, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Well sh!t, replace that with democrats and you just described 85% of the threads begun in this forum.
Or Europeans or MacNN Muslims..... pretty long list. GOP members are not the majority in this board
Man you ARE funny!

ROFL!
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
Of course George Bush was Reagan's second choice for VP. Richard Nixon was offered the job first.
And you read that where? Nixon on top of Watergate was going to be offered the Vice Presidency? Check your facts. Ford was offered the position but that is not the same thing as floating the offer to a member of the rival party and then having to come back snubbed. Kerry's running mate is going to have to live with the fact that Kerry preferred a member of the GOP to be his Vice President rather than anyone from his own party.

Originally posted by angaq0k:
Man you ARE funny!

ROFL!
Yes, I am. Sucks to you huh?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 12:09 PM

It doesn't sound from this report like they actually offered him the position, they only asked him to be considered so he could be vetted. I don't think they would have given it to McCain. It's just too strange to have a member of the other party be a vice president.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
It doesn't sound from this report like they actually offered him the position, they only asked him to be considered so he could be vetted. I don't think they would have given it to McCain. It's just too strange to have a member of the other party be a vice president.
That's not how it works. All candidates only make one public invitation and that is after they are 100% sure they want the person and the person is going to say yes. It is all taken care of privately until the offer is accepted.
Kerry's people are the ones that put this out there. Prior to yesterday it was only a known consideration now its a generally accepted fact by the people in the loop that it was an actual offer. It was examined and found that the pair on a ticket would win the election so the offer was put out there and declined.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 12:49 PM

That's not how it works. All candidates only make one public invitation and that is after they are 100% sure they want the person and the person is going to say yes. It is all taken care of privately until the offer is accepted.
Kerry's people are the ones that put this out there. Prior to yesterday it was only a known consideration now its a generally accepted fact by the people in the loop that it was an actual offer. It was examined and found that the pair on a ticket would win the election so the offer was put out there and declined.
Of course there's only one public "invitation." It's actually not an invitation, it's an announcement. What's your point in saying that? Kerry privately asked McCain to be considered, and he privately turned it down. Then that information was leaked, as it always is during this process. What source do you have that Kerry actually offered the spot to McCain? Everything in your link says that he wasn't offered the spot, he was just asked to be considered. If you're saying McCain turned down an actual offer, that suggests to me that he accepted the invitation to be vetted in the first place.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 01:36 PM

My bad. It was Ford who was offered the Vice President's job, not Nixon. Here is a quote from the Big Book of President Trivia:
After the prospect of having former President Ford as a running mate failed
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Atomic Rooster
Jun 12, 2004, 03:36 PM

Listen to BRussell.

Kerry and his group ponder who may be good strategical choices for a running mate. Different circumstances, differrent choice. They approach peeps on the list to see if they would be interested if asked. Yes, No, easy as that. Then a short list is made of possible running mates that are interested. McCain was asked if he would consider. NO. McCains name not put on short list.

GET IT NOW!

i would suggest a good ear scrubbing after a hard day of superhero stuffs.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
Listen to BRussell.

Kerry and his group ponder who may be good strategical choices for a running mate. Different circumstances, differrent choice. They approach peeps on the list to see if they would be interested if asked. Yes, No, easy as that. Then a short list is made of possible running mates that are interested. McCain was asked if he would consider. NO. McCains name not put on short list.

GET IT NOW!

i would suggest a good ear scrubbing after a hard day of superhero stuffs.

I would suggest you look into the topic before you post.
The story isn't about compiling a short list, it was about the final selection process. The list had to have been narrowed down as soon as Kerry locked up the top slot as the party nominee. The pros and cons are done. The convention is coming up in 6 weeks.
The time frame we are in now means he is in the last steps before the formal announcement. He is now approaching his top choices.

John Kerry, the likely Democratic nominee for president, has asked Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican, as many as seven times to consider being his running mate, the New York Times reported..........

Kerry contacted McCain as recently as last week, and McCain declined the offer, the newspaper said, citing people who have spoken to both senators.
Just because it annoys you doesn't mean its not true.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2004, 08:41 PM

John Kerry, the likely Democratic nominee for president, has asked Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican, as many as seven times to consider being his running mate, the New York Times reported
I still disagree with you about short-list vs. final offer, but the above quote IS funny as hell. Seven times? I can picture Kerry calling McCain at home, and McCain telling his wife "tell him I'm not here." Seven times? Hahahaha.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 12:44 PM

There is something to be said about loyalty here. McCain's personal enmity for GB has never clouded his personal judgment. Loyalty above all else. This is a lesson Kerry would do well to learn. He never had it and he doesn't still. My question is why can't Kerry find someone of similar quality within the Democrat party? Kerry is overreaching here. Why choose a second fiddle more worthy of the position he himself is seeking? I still say Kerry is an angry, bitter man who's message is really depressing. He should find something positive in his life and campaign on that. Trying to build moral stature on the shoulders of others is demeaning.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Orion27:
There is something to be said about loyalty here. McCain's personal enmity for GB has never clouded his personal judgment. Loyalty above all else. This is a lesson Kerry would do well to learn. He never had it and he doesn't still. My question is why can't Kerry find someone of similar quality within the Democrat party? Kerry is overreaching here. Why choose a second fiddle more worthy of the position he himself is seeking? I still say Kerry is an angry, bitter man who's message is really depressing. He should find something positive in his life and campaign on that. Trying to build moral stature on the shoulders of others is demeaning.
Who would be your pick for Democatric VP.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2004, 01:25 PM

Who would be your pick for Democatric VP.
Lieberman. Then again I'm a Republican and second fiddle in this case again outclasses the main event. And unfortunately, given the the facist muslim mentality in the Middle East, Lieberman's heritage may not be all that conducive to facilitating American goals in the the region. If we are going to have a crusade, better off they be Christian by dint of having saved their sorry asses in the Balkans.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2004, 09:34 PM

Lieberman is a little too conservative for me but I respect the man's views. Not sure he'd go over real well in the middle east so he's openinly pro Israel. Edwards would be a nice, safe pick though I'd like to see him go with Clark myself.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2004, 12:50 AM

Lieberman is a little too conservative for me but I respect the man's views. Not sure he'd go over real well in the middle east so he's openinly pro Israel. Edwards would be a nice, safe pick though I'd like to see him go with Clark myself.
I agree, Clark or Edwards. Both would help Kerry in the South, but Clark would give him more credibility in the terrorism issue just by virtue of his military background.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 07:28 AM

Clarke is a Monday morning quarterback with snipers credentials. Negative messages and a real downer. A loose canon who woud try to pull rank, because quite frankly accoding to him nobody else knows what they are talking about, including Kerry and the current Joint Cheifs. What a piece of work. Conveys a feeling slightly north of hysterical, not quite in command a certainly not commander in chief material. I prefer strong civilian leasdership.

Originally posted by itai195:
I agree, Clark or Edwards. Both would help Kerry in the South, but Clark would give him more credibility in the terrorism issue just by virtue of his military background.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 07:23 PM

How about Chuck Schumer, Democrat for New York? He'd get the liberal east coast vote.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2004, 08:01 PM

Another New York jew. Not in this time. Let the Jews run background. You need a kick ass working class Christian. And that's the problem with the Democrat party. You are a party of secularists. You have alienated the Christian right, the people who can get things done, and embraced what is left of the failed Jewish Liberal establishment ( where the money is )
All you have left are the teat suckers who will do nothing but drag you straight to oblivion.

Originally posted by rambo47:
How about Chuck Schumer, Democrat for New York? He'd get the liberal east coast vote.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2004, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Orion27:
Another New York jew. Not in this time. Let the Jews run background. You need a kick ass working class Christian. And that's the problem with the Democrat party. You are a party of secularists. You have alienated the Christian right, the people who can get things done, and embraced what is left of the failed Jewish Liberal establishment ( where the money is )
All you have left are the teat suckers who will do nothing but drag you straight to oblivion.
WTF was that about.

Anyway, dump kerry and vote Martin O'Malley as your candidate.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by rambo47:
Well, he's good but I believe most of the America would go "Who?"

And his recent comments saying that torture should be used in some circumstances was shocking and repugnant.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules