Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Edward Kennedy 1932-2009

Edward Kennedy 1932-2009
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2009, 03:04 AM

yawn

About time.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 03:55 AM

R.i.p.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2009, 05:24 AM

Right on Cap. Again, good riddance. It's really too bad he survived his far superior older brothers for so long, but as we know the good die young while evil figures seem to live on. He caused immense harm to this country throughout his career, and he contributed to the death of his girlfriend. Now we get days of arse kissing of the pig. I'm thankful, though, that his biggest endeavor, the full Socialization of medicine and further ruination of this country as we know it is something he did not get to see. He may have done some good, but the harm he did was far greater; I refuse to sit by quietly in the face of the arse smooching.

Of course, even though I disliked the man, it is the end of an era. Erra erra.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Aug 26, 2009 at 05:58 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 06:43 AM

Well, this thread's certainly in good taste.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 06:45 AM

I don't think it's "arse kissing" to pay respects to a man who has dedicated his entire life to public service. His life plagued by familial tragedy and his reputation plagued by the poorest of choices saw a man that would persevere as one of the longest services in Senate history. The "lion" was certainly a polarizing figure and often a stick in the mud to his opposition. While he has contributed to perhaps the most contentious of leftist ideology; ideology you and I may find absolutely detestable if not outright seditious, he no doubt felt he was bettering his country. His constituents would see to it that he would serve nine terms in the Senate.

While I might not personally miss the man, he was a man and a human at that. I hope his family can find peace and I hope the representation we seek to advance our ideology serve with at least a third the unwavering passion and longevity of Sen. Edward Kennedy.
ebuddy

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I don't think it's "arse kissing" to pay respects to a man who has dedicated his entire life to public service.
I'm not sure using family connections to maintain an elite power structure, ensuring continued wealth and prosperity is something to "pay respects" to. Did Ted Kennedy spend a day in a job that required real results, where he wasn't wielding power over something or someone who could likely benefit him personally? I don't think so.

To suggest that Ted Kennedy sought out his position in life in order to lead a modest life in service to his community is extremely naive in my opinion, and is likely an unnecessary re-write of history. Like OJ SImpson and Michael Jackson, he's a man who was born with gifts that granted him adulation, but in the end didn't understand reasonable boundaries and ended up destroying when he should have been creating.

Being born into political "royalty" and using that position to forward goals that are bad for America isn't something that I can personally see worthy of "paying respect to", but at the same time, I don't think it shows much class to show him disrespect. I paused at responding for just that reason, but simply wanted to disagree with the notion that Kennedy deserved "respect" for living on the gravy train and speding his career tying to take money from others while he lived the high life. It's fitting that one of his last acts in "public service" was to try and change the laws of his state to ensure that his political party maintained power even if that wasn't the choice of the people of his state when they'd just recently changed the law to ensure fairness (of course, when a Republican was in charge).

His life plagued by familial tragedy and his reputation plagued by the poorest of choices saw a man that would persevere as one of the longest services in Senate history.
Not hard to do when your family amasses the power and money that the Kennedy's had, and you can live on the legacies of your brothers.

While I might not personally miss the man, he was a man and a human at that. I hope his family can find peace and I hope the representation we seek to advance our ideology serve with at least a third the unwavering passion and longevity of Sen. Edward Kennedy.
I can agree with that. There is a point somewhere between adulation, and grave pissing. That's probably what Kennedy deserves.
( Last edited by stupendousman; Aug 26, 2009 at 07:22 AM. )

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
yawn

About time.
Agreed.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I don't think it's "arse kissing" to pay respects to a man who has dedicated his entire life to public service.
Too bad he rarely actually "served" the public.

His life plagued by familial tragedy
It's called "karma".

and his reputation plagued by the poorest of choices saw a man that would persevere as one of the longest services in Senate history.
It's too bad so many people were stupid enough to keep voting for his corrupt ass.

While I might not personally miss the man, he was a man and a human at that.
So? People are dying as we speak. Big f*cking deal.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2009, 10:18 AM

So what happens to his Senate seat ?
Doesn't the current law say that it has to remain vacant for at least x days before they can fill it ?

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 10:29 AM

Y'all are a trip.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2009, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Y'all are a trip.
A trip to a Republican Senate seat for MA ?

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 10:34 AM

Wow, a new low for the conservative shills around here. Never the wrong time for the partisan soapbox, eh?

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2009, 10:57 AM

I guess Mary jo can rest in peace now....

andi*pandi
Aug 26, 2009, 11:13 AM

thank you ebuddy, for being a class act.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 12:28 PM

Yeah, time and time again eBuddy proves to be one of the most level-headed folks that frequent the PL.

So you think the guy was a giant blow-hard liberal? That's still not enough to justify taking pleasure in another man's death, which is f**king disgusting, yet something I certainly wouldn't put past the likes of Captain Obvious (because he is obviously a heartless monster) and stupendousman, but the rest of you guys really need to watch out what kind of company you're keeping.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
So what happens to his Senate seat ?
Doesn't the current law say that it has to remain vacant for at least x days before they can fill it ?

-t
They are trying to change the law after the fact so that only Democrats have a say in who becomes a Senator in Massachusetts when a Congressman leaves office mid-term, despite just recently changing it so it was fair during a Republican Governor's reign.

It's okay for the Democrats of that state to be corrupt apparently. They'll just change the laws every couple of years to keep themselves in power. This is the same sort of thing they tried to do in Florida when Gore lost the state. I'm pretty sure that between Obama's failures and the mantle of "party of corruption" being foisted on them due to all the shenanigans they've been pulling, they'll get their due soon.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
So you think the guy was a giant blow-hard liberal? That's still not enough to justify taking pleasure in another man's death, which is f**king disgusting, yet something I certainly wouldn't put past the likes of Captain Obvious (because he is obviously a heartless monster) and stupendousman, but the rest of you guys really need to watch out what kind of company you're keeping.
Okay, okay, before you get too high up on your soapbox, check ANY thread about the death of ANY prominent conservative.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post
Okay, okay, before you get too high up on your soapbox, check ANY thread about the death of ANY prominent conservative.
Well I see that Bob Novak's thread was basically ignored by everyone, while Ted Kennedy's dead quickly earned five lines of diatribe from Big Mac. I guess I should just count myself lucky to be alive and not yet cat food given Ted Kennedy's evil hold on the United States during his career.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 01:05 PM

Gosh, even though he's dead he still makes me sooo mad URGH!!!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 26, 2009, 01:33 PM

"But they do it too!!"

Awesome. That didn't even work in third grade, I'm not sure why you think it works now.

His comment would have been the same no matter the political leanings of the deceased...sek isn't a partisan shill like most of you in here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 01:42 PM

Nice to see somebody gets it.

If Rush Limbaugh died tomorrow I am assured there will plenty of people rejoicing in his death. I hate the man, but I do not wish death upon or celebrate the death of anyone who's worst crime is being a politician.

Insisting that Ted Kennedy did no good at all in the almost 50 years he was in office is so disingenuous I find it hard to swallow that anyone with an IQ over 50 can believe it. The man made mistakes, which I'm pretty sure are made by millions of people annually, yet the moral conservatives have no place for forgiveness? BS, this is just another excuse to blather on aimlessly about why one party has a way bigger cock than the other party, all under the umbrella topic of a man's death.

I'll say it again, f**king disgusting.

andi*pandi
Aug 26, 2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
They are trying to change the law after the fact so that only Democrats have a say in who becomes a Senator in Massachusetts when a Congressman leaves office mid-term, despite just recently changing it so it was fair during a Republican Governor's reign.
Actually, the idea wouldn't change that law back, just ensure that there is an interim person until the special election can be held in a few months. The interim person could not run in the special election, so it's not like the governor is appointing a permanent replacement.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Aug 26, 2009, 01:44 PM

Well, don't mind if I do:

MacNN Forums: Ronald Reagan has died

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Figures the rabid no-class left couldn't resist taking cheap shots. Gee, takes a real big man to kick an old guy who just died.
I find it fascinating that back then, your first impulse reaction to an individual's post that you found offensive was to attribute it to "the left" as a whole.

You're not immune to the ideological blinders of R vs. D, despite countless protestations to the contrary.

I know it may be hard for you to accept, but when it comes to people acting like asses, both Republicans and Democrats are exactly the same. The only difference is what they act like asses about.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2009, 02:07 PM

I did not agree with Ted Kennedy's political views (mostly) but I will give him credit for the vigor he exhibited in promoting them.

To denigrate the dead displays one's immaturity. You may not have liked Kennedy but comments like "It's about time" and the like are uncalled for.

My parents always told me if you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, don't say anything. Still good advice today.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2009, 02:10 PM

Saying, "They do the same thing to conservatives," doesn't excuse indecency.

I was never a Ted Kennedy fan. I didn't agree with the vast majority of his policies. His actions (or inaction) during whatever really happened at Chappaquiddick was inexcusable, BUT...

1. From a human perspective, the man's family is suffering right now. He had a huge load on his shoulders his entire adult life, carrying on the legacy that his family left behind. His life was anything but easy, and I feel some pity for what the burden placed on his shoulders by others, his indiscretions notwithstanding.

2. From a Christian standpoint, the man has a soul. Where he winds up is beyond my speculation, but I wouldn't wish anything ill on anyone. This fact alone makes me uncomfortable enough to relish in his passing.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2009, 02:32 PM

If Rush Limbaugh died tomorrow I am assured there will plenty of people rejoicing in his death. I hate the man, but I do not wish death upon or celebrate the death of anyone who's worst crime is being a politician.
He's guilty of far worse crimes. Most people would have spent a good portion of their lives in prison for the things he did, but his connections and status kept him out of trouble (for the most part).

Oh well, g'bye Ted, I hope you make better choices on the next turn.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
Well, don't mind if I do:

MacNN Forums: Ronald Reagan has died

I find it fascinating that back then, your first impulse reaction to an individual's post that you found offensive was to attribute it to "the left" as a whole.
Actually I didn't.

Some (thankfully not all) on the left are like overboard partisan platform "warriors" in the political sense. They don't seem to know when is the appropriate time to (even momentarily) let go of all their way-overblown inner hostilities toward those they disagree with, put all the pettiness, mean-spiritedness, and self-serving politics aside, and just be decent human beings for once. I'm sure there are some on the far-right that act the same way, but the irony is, it's the left that pretends and even rabidly insists it has a monopoly on 'compassion' and "tolerance".
And read the lovely bit of quoted leftist "tolerance and compassion" that illustrated my point just prior to that post.
So once again:

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2009, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Too bad he rarely actually "served" the public.
Pick some.
http://kennedy.senate.gov/imo/media/...plishments.pdf

The guy probably served and cared more than 90% of the so called public officials.

RIP.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 02:38 PM

Actually I didn't.

And read the lovely bit of quoted leftist "tolerance and compassion" that illustrated my point just prior to that post.
So once again:
Great. So what was the point of your post again? You seem to understand that there are some jerks on the left just as there are jerks on the right. Do you have evidence that sek is one of those people? If not, what are you trying to say? Sek was clearly calling out specific people, not labeling "the right" writ large.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 02:40 PM

Did I say he did?

I said don't get so high up on the soapbox.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 02:41 PM

He can get as high up on his soapbox as he likes, presuming he's not acting hypocritically.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 02:44 PM

Let's see the same: "Wow, a new low for the liberal shills around here." comment in any thread about a conservative dying, then get back to me about soapboxes and hypocrisy.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 02:54 PM

Why don't you just accuse specific people of hypocrisy rather than trying to turn this into some generalized left vs. right thing when it's really just about a few people being *********s? Usually around here when the "liberal shills" are acting up then the "conservative shills" are already beating up on them so I tend to not feel like I need to throw in my two cents. In this case, you seem to be sticking up for the idiots on the basis that other people who are not even taking part in this thread may have, at some point, said something mean about a dead conservative. Again, what's the point? Let's stick to what's actually being said by the people who are actually participating. Hold people accountable. Don't lump everything into a left vs. right battle.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 03:04 PM

Look who's talking.

Once again, my age old point is proven. When it's pointed out that the left does exactly the same **** the right gets whined at for, then suddenly it's "DON'T BRING UP LEFT OR RIGHT!!!"

That or the old standby: "The left doesn't exist!"

Sek started off saying conservative shills... thus bringing up right vs. left.

I simply said "Don't get up on a soapbox about it."

Too complicated for you?

Gee-Man
Senior User
Aug 26, 2009, 03:08 PM

Actually I didn't.
Actually you did. Once again, for posterity:
Figures the rabid no-class left couldn't resist taking cheap shots.
A weak backtrack later doesn't change what your initial impulse led you to write, which is the classic "everybody on the other side is a bad person" drivel.

At a minimum, at least you could admit "at first I bashed the left as a whole, but then I realized that wasn't fair and softened my position a bit". Don't try to deny the words that are right here just a search away.

Note my very specific words: "...your first impulse reaction to an individual's post that you found offensive was to attribute it to "the left" as a whole." I didn't choose those words by accident. I'm describing precisely what you said, even if you did ever-so-slightly soften your position later.

I'm entirely correct in my (mild) criticism here.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE
Look who's talking.

Once again, my age old point is proven. When it's pointed out that the left does exactly the same **** the right gets whined at, then suddenly it's "DON'T BRING UP LEFT OR RIGHT!!!"

Sek started off saying conservative shills... thus bringing up right vs. left.

I simply said "Don't get up on a soapbox about it."

Too complicated for you?
What are you talking about? Are you saying I'm lumping it in a left vs. right battle? I'm responding to you. I don't want to speak for sek, but it seems pretty clear to me that he's talking about the shills in this thread right now, not "the right". If he's on a soapbox it's because he's above this idiocy, not because "the left" is above it. So why shouldn't he be up on a soapbox? The only way your comment would be insightful is if you thought he didn't have the credibility to criticize what's going on here, as if he had personally said something about a dead conservative. But that doesn't seem to be the case, so now it just seems to me like you're hard-wired to relate everything back to a partisan context and want to make a point about how mean liberals can be.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Aug 26, 2009 at 03:26 PM. )

Gee-Man
Senior User
Aug 26, 2009, 03:16 PM

Once again, my age old point is proven. When it's pointed out that the left does exactly the same **** the right gets whined at for, then suddenly it's "DON'T BRING UP LEFT OR RIGHT!!!"
Individuals who represent both sides can be stupid. Both sides get whined at for such behavior by people on the opposite side. Pointing this out is neither insightful or new.

What I object to is the constant patting yourself on the back for being a conservative, as if everyone who thinks like you do are collectively better human beings or something. It's irritating.

Even when critiquing one of your own you still can't resist getting your licks in on "the left", as in "Look at me! I'm criticizing somebody on the right! The left NEVER does something like this! We're so much better than they are! Rah Rah!"

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Gee-Man View Post
Actually you did. Once again, for posterity:

A weak backtrack later doesn't change what your initial impulse led you to write, which is the classic "everybody on the other side is a bad person" drivel.
I said no such thing, you're just flat out lying.

All of the left is "rabid and no-class"? If I had said everyone on the left, you might have a point. It's pretty clear who I was addressing that acts rabid and had no-class- clearly that's not the entire left, just members of it that fit that mold. Like someone who would say they're sitting around waiting for people they disagree with to die so they can piss on them.

At a minimum, at least you could admit "at first I bashed the left as a whole
This is just stupid. If I bashed 'the left' as a whole, then sek (the person I reminded about getting on a soapbox) bashed conservatives as a whole.

Meanwhile, rather than just admit, "yeah, everybody does it" as you're trying to say, you and SpaceMonkey have just ranted on and on because I pointed out the obvious. Get over it already, and yes, get off the friggen soapbox while you're at it.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 03:54 PM

RIP Ted Kennedy

Ted Kennedy did more for our country did that last 3 Republican Presidents combine.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 26, 2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
RIP Ted Kennedy

Ted Kennedy did more for our country did that last 3 Republican Presidents combine.
And was older than all three of them combined.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 04:21 PM

And had more cancer than all three of them combined. *Ducks*

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2009, 05:21 PM

RIP Ted Kennedy

Incl. killing people while DUI.

-t

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2009, 05:23 PM

I was wondering who was gonna be the first to bring that up.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2009, 05:47 PM

ha ha ha
Did i offend your precious little heart?
http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...helms-is-dead/

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I was wondering who was gonna be the first to bring that up.

3rd post.
The man should have been in jail.
I saw page after page of tirades about Vick killing a couple of stupid mongrels but golly attach the name Kennedy to someone and they're your second coming. I never understood the stupidity of people who project this fanciful sense of romaticism and fictitious mythology about what that family actually accomplished but hopefully with the death of this tool it can begin to fade into the obscurity that it deserves.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2009, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
3rd post.
Doesn't count, too subtle.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Incl. killing people while DUI.

-t
Double U killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people by invading another country.

Oh, and Pres. G Double U Bush's Wife Laura Bush killed someone while DUI.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2009, 06:23 PM

Double U killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people by invading another country.

Well, by your own account, seems like Teddy was really mediocre, compared to Double U.

-t

skipjack
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2009, 06:39 PM

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/laura.asp

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Actually, the idea wouldn't change that law back, just ensure that there is an interim person until the special election can be held in a few months. The interim person could not run in the special election, so it's not like the governor is appointing a permanent replacement.
The point of making the law in the first place was to ensure that the Governor couldn't put into place who he wanted. It was essentially drafted to make sure no Republican could be named to Congress mid-term when that appeared likely to happen.

Now that they have a Democrat governor, they feel that they can now craft a law that might make more sense, so that they can help forward their political goals. It doesn't matter how you spin it, the old law was created to help Democrats and hurt Republicans, and the new law will be put into place to help Democrats and hurt Republicans. It has nothing to do with the will of the people of Massachusetts.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
The point of making the law in the first place was to ensure that the Governor couldn't put into place who he wanted. It was essentially drafted to make sure no Republican could be named to Congress mid-term when that appeared likely to happen.

Now that they have a Democrat governor, they feel that they can now craft a law that might make more sense, so that they can help forward their political goals. It doesn't matter how you spin it, the old law was created to help Democrats and hurt Republicans, and the new law will be put into place to help Democrats and hurt Republicans. It has nothing to do with the will of the people of Massachusetts.
Other than the fact that the electorate voted for a Democrat to serve in that Senate seat...

Forum Links
Forum Rules