Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 59)
OreoCookie
Yesterday, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I was against the TPP because of the copyright extensions, so I can’t say I was displeased when it got spiked. I really hate copyright.
I also disliked how they negotiated the European equivalent. Parliamentarians were effectively not allowed to do their jobs. I remember reading that there was a special reading room in the American embassy. Only handwritten notes were allowed and they were not allowed to talk to experts. That sounds pretty shady. There are quite a few things in there that I oppose. But on a larger scale the existence of such large-scale trade treaties is a net plus IMHO. Being part of them gives you a seat at the table, and the US gave up its seat when it came to TPP. (My other pet peeve of these treaties are patents, which have become patently useless.)
I’m somewhat familiar with China’s naval ambitions. I don’t see Rahm being able to help with this from inside Japan. If anything, it’s the opposite. He’s in a much better position to get Japan to back-off.
Up until now the Biden Administration has obliged and “recognized” these islands as part of Japan’s territory. I reckon the Biden Administration does not really care about these islands (most of them are literal rocks in the ocean), but that this is a good pretext to push back on China’s naval ambitions. To be honest, it seems quite natural that the Chinese want to do the same that the US has done for decades now: protect its shipping lanes and make its presence known.

PS How come you know much about China’s navy?
I’m curious about your opinion. Should Japan militarize?
Japan already is highly militarized, its politicians have ignored the constitution for too long. So Article 9 is a shadow of its former self. I’d rather see serious efforts to do the hard work and start working on its history with its neighbors. Do the same painful process that took place in Europe. Germany and France started a research project after WW2 so that children get taught the same history based on the same data. Germany started a similar project with Poland, although I don’t know where that is. Thanks to that Germany’s neighbors are now more comfortable with a Germany that has a stronger military.

But I don’t see that happening. Japan has a very extreme right-wing government that has no interest in doing so, quite the contrary. The previous prime minister Abe was raised by his grandfather who was a literal war criminal, for example. The deputy prime ministers said in 2013 that they want to model constitutional reform after Germany’s … in the 1930s. I wish I was joking.
Edit: if I was Japanese, or lived in Japan, I would want to. If I was Chinese, I’d ****ing hate the idea. As a non-local, I’ve been inclined towards the status quo.
This is extremely unpopular with the Japanese people. There is also big concern of Japan getting its own nuclear arms. I have heard rumors time and again that there are plans in drawers somewhere. Even if not, Japan has all the pieces in place: they have a civilian space program (JAXA) with their own rockets. They have plenty of nuclear material and knowledge to handle it. They have super computers. But public opposition to that is even more vigorous.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Today, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
PS How come you know much about China’s navy?
I wouldn’t say I’m particularly knowledgeable, it’s just when China does something like make a move on the Spratlys, we notice it here, even though it’s on the other side of the world. In contrast to something like buying property or businesses, which we barely notice even when it happens here.

I’m a little confused by the militarization question. Is the right wing in Japan not pro-militarization?

Edit: or Abe’s faction of the right wing.

Edit2: yeah... patents are just as jacked (if not more) than copyright. Copyright affects me a lot personally, so I focus more on it.
( Last edited by subego; Today at 07:42 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules