Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook will not wake up

MacBook will not wake up
skatastic87
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 10:52 AM

Hi. I just bought a MacBook back in August/September. Its been working great until last week. I was just using it like normal, checking some websites with Safari and then all of a sudden my MacBook fell asleep. I tried waking it up by pushing some buttons and clicking with the button on the MacBook but nothing worked. I turned the computer off and turned it back on thinking that would fix it but of course it didn't. Now when you turn it on, the screen stays black and the sleep indicator turns on. I have no idea what to do.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 30, 2007, 11:42 AM

Bring it in for service.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2007, 08:04 PM

Is your charger working? I **think** that sometimes happen when the MacBook doesnt have enought power to turn on, it goes to sleep...

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

fesdds
Jun 2, 2007, 08:24 PM

When my Macbook runs out of juice it shuts itself off. My old iBook would just go into sleep and when I plugged it in it would wake back up. Not so with the Macbook. I have to powerup by holding power button.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2007, 05:05 AM

Normally, the machine goes to sleep after a while, and the sleep light will PULSATE.

hook it up to a power supply while it's still sleeping, and hitting any key or opening up the book will wake it up.

If you don't get it on external power soon enough (5-6 hours), the pulsating light will die and you'll have to use the power button. However, it will still load back right to the point where you were, rather than having to boot up again.

If it's not working that way, something is broken.

Step 1:
Calibrate the battery.
-Hook it up to power supply until light is green and battery fully charged.
-Take it off external power and don't connect it again until it goes into forced sleep while you are using it.
-Wait until the sleep light itself dies from lack of power.
-Hook it up to power supply until battery is fully charged (you can continue using the machine as soon as it's got power).

This should be done every two months or so.

frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2007, 10:46 PM

I had this problem with my first MB. The issue was the power management unit (PMU). Try this

1. Take out the battery from the MB
2. Hold down the power key for 60 seconds
3. Put the battery back and try starting it up

or

1. Take out the battery from the MB
2.Plug in the MagSafe adapter and hold down the power key for 60 seconds
3. Keep the MagSafe cord plugged in, and put the battery back and try starting up
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules