Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Battle of the Starches: Potatoes vs Rice (Beans, stay. Corn, GTFO)

Battle of the Starches: Potatoes vs Rice (Beans, stay. Corn, GTFO)
subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2019, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
why, you little...

what do you have against fresh real potatoes not reheated frozen dry bits?

I’ll actually go further and say potatoes in general, and hence their spawn, are overrated.

I like the idea of potatoes, but the execution almost always leaves me wanting.

A good fry is very hard to find. 5 Guys, despite the grease, are dry. I like a moist, floppy fry.

Even though it’s frozen, a McDonald’s fry can be good, but you have to get them right after an oil change, and even then, half are too dry.

There’s a local place that has a secret ingredient. My best guess is brown sugar. Those are good.

If BK fries haven’t changed, they’re not the greatest, but they have a longer window of edibility than most.

I’d actually say Arby’s potato cakes are reliably the best fast food potato product.

I love Wendy’s. Their fries are garbage. Same with White Castle.

The Taco Bell cheese and potato wrap is nauseating.

I’d say 9 times out of 10, most places would do better making cottage fries instead of the freedom variety.

Edit: mashed potatoes aren’t bad, but need extra stuff to be that way. They’re kind of a vehicle for the toppings. Same with baked potatoes, and ultimately, potato chips, whether they’re being a vehicle for dip or some sort of flavoring powder.
( Last edited by subego; Nov 3, 2019 at 12:54 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2019, 12:55 AM

Corn.

Thorzdad
Nov 3, 2019, 08:50 AM

Corn, I'll agree with. An utterly useless vegetable. Well, except for making bourbon, I suppose.

Now, potatoes, I'll have to disagree with you on. Yes, they absolutely need embellishment, but I don't see that as a failing. I see them more as a blank canvas. Just last night I oven-roasted small new potatoes with a small handful of augmentations (garlic, onions, salt, pepper, a little thyme) and the result was delicious and unlike what I could have gotten with any other vegetable.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2019, 05:14 PM

It's childish food but baked potatoes, with the skin crispy plenty of healthy healthy butter smushed in with a nice mature grated cheddar and slices of chorizo is the food of the gods.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2019, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
It's childish food but baked potatoes, with the skin crispy plenty of healthy healthy butter smushed in with a nice mature grated cheddar and slices of chorizo is the food of the gods.
This sounds like it would be better with rice.

Or more specifically, you could get away with a much higher carb to fat/protein ratio and still have it be good.

This as a rice burrito could be a quarter fat/protein. The potato needs half or more.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2019, 05:59 PM

The other day it occurred to me that Camembert might be good in an omelette. I googled it and found a recipe for one with Camembert and Chorizo. Sounds amazing to me. Haven't got to trying it yet though.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Nov 3, 2019, 06:09 PM

Rice is just kind of there. It's a base layer that has no flavor of its own - even brown rice. Wild rice is slightly more interesting.
Potatoes are much better.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 3, 2019, 06:39 PM

Rice is just kind of there. It's a base layer that has no flavor of its own - even brown rice. Wild rice is slightly more interesting.
Potatoes are much better.
In general, white rice is a canvas waiting for embellishment. But that's because it's been processed enough to lose all the flavor (and often nutrition) it might have had.

Brown rices, and a variety of "wild" rices are different. I've yet to find a truly strongly flavored rice of any variety, but just about any wild rice provides both a subtle note of flavor and some texture.

The overuse of white rice is often just because it's cheap and available. I'll use white rice WITH something, but if I'm trying for a "rice dish," it'll have to be a brown or wild rice.

Note about a previous point: I had lunch at 5 Guys today. Yes, their fries are crisp and maintain structure (even when they cool off), but that's the point of the way 5 Guys makes french fries. Fresh potatoes, washed, cut and then (almost immediately) deep fried, will be crisp and solid. Soak peeled potatoes for a while, then cut them, and you'll get less structure with the same amount of starch, and the same ability to retain the cooking oil. You also get (potentially) less vitamin content, as soaking allows the vitamins to be washed away.

Baking potatoes, similarly, behave differently depending on the pre-baking preparation. I wash fresh potatoes, DRY them, rub the skin with a little olive oil and some salt, then bake them. If you want to keep the skin moist, wrap them in foil, but a potato baked naked will have a crisp skin, the way I like them. Either way, the nutrients remain pretty much the same, and as long as you don't only eat potatoes, their starch content is a constructive part of a balanced diet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves
Nov 4, 2019, 12:45 AM

As a person who eats white rice every day, up to 3 times a day, I have to disagree with the above two posts (the flavor portion). White rice is magnificent and has loads of flavor. I primarily eat long grained jasmine rice, which is very flagrant (it is called jasmine because it is scented). Eating rice by itself has a lot of flavor, but when eating it with the juice/sauce of something else (say juices from steamed fish or a curry) makes it even better. And because it isn't that processed (as say white grain bread) and because it is a long grain (as opposed to a short grain variety), it digests slower and has a lower GI. Basamatti rice has an even lower GI.

And few people know, but most rice (aside from white rice) eaten in Asia isn't brown (it is almost unheard of), but red rice, black rice (also known as purple rice), and a mixture of rice (rice, beans, other grains) are eaten. Black rice has even more flavor and has more antioxidants than a blueberry (or so the Internet says).

I do agree with corn. It is a useless vegetable. I rarely eat it and when I do, it is the very occasional corn on the cob, lightly salted, or added to a vegetable soup for its sweet flavor.
( Last edited by mindwaves; Nov 4, 2019 at 10:45 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2019, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
In general, white rice is a canvas waiting...
To be fried with scallions and egg.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 4, 2019, 05:54 PM

I am not saying that there is no flavor in white rice. It's pretty subtle for people who have been raised on strong flavors. Plain white rice with a little butter is yummy. I just don't eat it that way very often because I feel that most white rice available where I am is over-processed.

The selections I have here in San Antonio are a variety of bulk-brand white rices, a few "name brand" white rices, and then a broad variety of browns and wilds. Purple rice shows up in specialty stores (Like Tim's Oriental and Seafood Market here), and I'm going to have to look into that, as well as red rice.

mindwaves
Nov 4, 2019, 07:25 PM

I am not saying that there is no flavor in white rice. It's pretty subtle for people who have been raised on strong flavors. Plain white rice with a little butter is yummy. I just don't eat it that way very often because I feel that most white rice available where I am is over-processed.

The selections I have here in San Antonio are a variety of bulk-brand white rices, a few "name brand" white rices, and then a broad variety of browns and wilds. Purple rice shows up in specialty stores (Like Tim's Oriental and Seafood Market here), and I'm going to have to look into that, as well as red rice.
Great. I do recommend purple rice over red rice for flavor. Do a half/half of purple rice to white rice ratio. Cook a bit longer than usual and enjoy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2019, 07:56 PM

Isn’t red rice and beans a staple south of the Mason-Dixon?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 4, 2019, 10:52 PM

Beans and red rice, no. Red beans and (white) rice, yes. Toss a hunk of ham or bacon while cooking the beans (crock pots are great for this). When the beans are done, put a half cup or so of cooked rice in a bowl, a ladle or so of the beans and their fluid, then top with shredded cheddar cheese. Yum,

Or get decadent and add sour cream on top of the cheese.

Oh, and cornbread goes with this very well. Use a recipe that makes non-sweet cornbread, since the sweetness interferes with your ability to appreciate the other flavors.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 5, 2019, 03:23 AM

I had chilli with rice earlier and I usually grate some cheddar on top but didn't have any. I did have some truffled Pecorino and that was glorious as a substitute.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2019, 07:11 AM

Beans and red rice, no. Red beans and (white) rice, yes.
I consider this a diagnosis of beans and ricelexia.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 5, 2019, 09:34 PM

The treatment is regular doses of beans and rice. Try various different types of beans; pinto beans for one treatment, black beans for the next, etc. Don’t forget the corn bread.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 7, 2019, 11:25 AM

Garbanzo is the one bean to rule them all.

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2019, 02:28 PM

mmmmmm...tasty hummus.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 7, 2019, 02:52 PM

We started getting Jasmine rice from Trader Joe's. Cooking it in chicken broth instead of water add even more richness and flavor to a dish.

We ran out of the Jasmine and tried to make some instant rice for a dish and ended up dumping it straight into the garbage, it tasted so bad.

andi*pandi
Nov 7, 2019, 07:05 PM

I made a nice polenta this week. Peppers and feta cheese.
Work caf had corn meal patty things with cheese and chicken. Really good.

Corn has its uses as a grain. Corn Syrup can go straight to hell though.

Thorzdad
Nov 7, 2019, 09:35 PM

Corn Syrup can go straight to hell though.
HFCS, yes. It can go straight to the bad place. Plain old corn syrup, though...well...I like my wife’s peanut brittle too much to condemn it to hell.

mindwaves
Nov 8, 2019, 05:16 AM

Curly fries are the best. Tater tots rule.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2019, 09:37 AM

Corn is best in its “fruit” form, though off the cob is messy, and I don’t need that much.

Popcorn is of course, awesome.

Everybody has their relative who makes “the best corn casserole”. This universally sucks.

Fritos are so oily, I don’t know how people can eat more than a half dozen.

Freshly-made tortilla chips aren’t bad, but need salsa.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2019, 11:20 AM

Lately I’m on a white rice kick where I cook a bit of ginger in oil, then add rice+water+salt+pepper and finish off with a Tbsp of butter right at the the end. That’s good eatin.

Although I don’t like McDs in general they have the best / most consistent fry game in the fast food arena.

I adore mashed potatoes. My recipe is simple. Red potatoes with the skins on, whole milk, 2 Tbsp butter, salt/pepper, and Parmesan cheese. The good stuff if I have it, if not the cheap crap works okay. Roast potatoes with rosemary are also great, but I don’t often have 45 minutes to let those bastards cook.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 8, 2019, 05:43 PM

We've been trending toward sticky rice in our household. The vinegar, salt and sugar give it a bit more flavor, plus it has a "fun" texture.

Great with fish and chicken or pretty much whatever protein you want. Not so flavorful that it doesn't also pair with a veggie of choice.

mindwaves
Nov 11, 2019, 03:26 AM

Never tried sticky rice with vinegar before. How is it prepared?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 11, 2019, 09:03 AM

Didn't have anything planned for dinner last night so I whipped up some fried rice with whatever we had lying around.

- 1.5 C Jasmine rice
- 4 eggs
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 C peas
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 T Hoisin sauce
- 1 T rice vinegar
- 4 T soy sauce
- 2 T sesame oil
- 1 lime

Cook the rice, add rice vinegar to it when it's done. Dice and cook the chicken breast with salt and pepper. In a wok, add butter and eggs, scramble. When the eggs are almost cooked, dump in the rice. Add the veggies and sauces. Add the chicken. Juice the lime and add it.

Wife loves it. When I'm actually planning to make it, I also grab cashews and pineapple tidbits and dump those in, too. I sometimes add sriracha for a little extra kick.

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 11, 2019, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Never tried sticky rice with vinegar before. How is it prepared?
Get your short grained sushi rice in the cooker (or however you want to prepare it). Rinse it and then soak it in water for at least an hour.
Meanwhile (for every 2 cups of dry rice), get a small dish and mix together: 1 tbsp sugar, couple teaspoons of salt and 2 tbsp of rice vinegar. Stir it or let it dissolve on its own. After you've let the rice soak and then cooked it, add in the vinegar mixture and stir. Now you've got sticky rice with a tang.
( Last edited by Demonhood; Nov 11, 2019 at 02:37 PM. )

OreoCookie
Nov 12, 2019, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Demonhood View Post
Get your short grained sushi rice in the cooker (or however you want to prepare it). Rinse it and then soak it in water for at least an hour.
Meanwhile (for every 2 cups of dry rice), get a small dish and mix together: 1 tbsp sugar, couple teaspoons of salt and 2 tbsp of rice vinegar. Stir it or let it dissolve on its own. After you've let the rice soak and then cooked it, add in the vinegar mixture and stir. Now you've got sticky rice with a tang.
That's a good tip and an authentic recipe (at least in Japan).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2019, 09:21 PM

We cooked white rice with a nice chicken broth for a prior meal, and had enough left to serve under pinto beans with ham. You serve pinto beans over rice just like black beans over rice, which we did. Yum! We did skip the corn bread this time, though. As yummy as it is, we're trying to be a little careful about calories, and corn bread is not a "lite" dish.

mindwaves
Nov 16, 2019, 01:59 AM

Corn bread is good. I also like hash browns at the diner or at Mcdonalds.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2019, 02:54 AM

Hash browns are very sensitive to the ratio of inside to outside.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2019, 03:32 AM

Hash browns are really good with cream cheese.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2019, 04:12 AM

I could see that working, but it also sounds disgusting.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 16, 2019, 10:31 AM

They’ve gotta be fresh, hot and crisp for the sour cream thing to work. However, shredded cheese (I’m partial to cheddar) on fresh hash browns is less demanding, and quite yummy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2019, 11:50 AM

Sour cream makes more sense as it’s a normal potato condiment.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2019, 10:45 PM

I'm talking about the sort of cream cheese you'd spread on a bagel. It also works well on potato waffles.

andi*pandi
Nov 16, 2019, 11:19 PM

Makes sense to me. I have seen some people put a package of cream cheese into the mashed potatoes.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2019, 11:08 AM

Conceptually, I don’t think it’s too far from a crab rangoon, which I like, but also find kinda disgusting. Cream cheese should be cold.

And strawberry flavored.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 17, 2019, 12:18 PM

My mistake. But again, I think cream cheese would need the hash browns to be firm and kind of crisp to actually be workable. Spread on or just dumped on, cream cheese needs structure.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2019, 12:44 PM

Had some Burger King breakfast potatoes.

Surprisingly good. They’re slices of tater tots, which puts them at the edge of the envelope in terms of outside to inside ratio.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2019, 08:31 AM

My mistake. But again, I think cream cheese would need the hash browns to be firm and kind of crisp to actually be workable. Spread on or just dumped on, cream cheese needs structure.
Yes, nice and crispy around the edges. Exactly right.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2019, 08:32 AM

Chips. Proper ones.

andi*pandi
Nov 19, 2019, 10:10 AM

those look amazing. poor sad oven fries can't compare.

Forum Links
Forum Rules