Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Phil Donohue v. Bill O'Reilly on Fox News

Phil Donohue v. Bill O'Reilly on Fox News
mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 08:44 PM

Phil Donohue wouldn't last a week here at MacNN!

He is an IDIOT. A first class numb-skull, P-whipped IDIOT.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2005, 08:46 PM

Phil got his ass handed to him...by a drooling idiot, no less.

We would have made him cry for his mommy in this forum.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 10:40 PM

i've had my fill with phil. he reminds me of a clown. I'd hit his wife, tho

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 10:50 PM

Phil is a has-been. Major asshole that one, I probably would have kicked him off the set if I were Bill. His talking as if he knows what Bill would or would not do were his child to go to Iraq is ridiculous enough, but fine, whatever.

What did it for me is when he said "your nephew is not your son" in response to Bill telling the man about his nephew who is going to Iraq. Yeah. You know, I have a cousin who may go to Iraq. He's not my son, not my brother. Does that mean that it won't hurt me just as much if something happens to him?? Is he saying that if my cousin dies, my mom will not mourn her nephew as much as she would me, her son? Who the hell is Phil to go and say this kind of bullsh!t, like he knows everything about everyone? He is nobody, that's who.

And then he did this thing about how the number of deaths in Iraq doubled and so did Haliburton's stock price. Right... So what he is saying here is that Haliburton is somehow getting dividends or payoffs per death in Iraq. He makes this statement with no evidence to back it up. In fact, he thew around tons of **** and never backed any of it up with cold hard facts.

He likes to make a scene, to run peoples' emotions high. He is a drama queen.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 11:23 PM

Is there a transcript anywhere? I missed it. Does this mean there's actually someone out there who O'Reilly, of all people, could out-argue? I mean, dude; James9490 could out-argue O'Reilly.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 12:50 AM

“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 12:51 AM

Funny, cause I looked for the video cause I heard Phil handed O'Reilly his azz.
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
i've had my fill with phil. he reminds me of a clown. I'd hit his wife, tho

Yeah, she was THAT GIRL and that girl was hot in her day!

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/thatgirl1st.wav

This wav file is of the TV Theme song for "That Girl." The posted image is of her first arriving in NYC aboard a train and you can hear the train expressed in the music with the brushes on snare drum. You see the excitement in her eyes as she looks out on her new 'playground.' It was a great show at an interesting time in American history and SHE was America's sweetheart.
Marlo was the daughter of famous comedian and actor (of Lebanese descent) Danny Thomas, who started the St. Jude's Children's Hospitals where kids with serious/terminal diseases could get treatment at no cost...

But, Phil Donahue???
( Last edited by mojo2; Sep 23, 2005 at 09:07 AM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Is there a transcript anywhere? I missed it. Does this mean there's actually someone out there who O'Reilly, of all people, could out-argue? I mean, dude; James9490 could out-argue O'Reilly.
Same thing with Ann Coulter I saw a few weeks ago. She could BARELY hold up her end of the discussion with some tweedle dum assed liberal.

That is why I think ALL conservatives should spend time (a few weeks at least) posting on MacNN. They would see ALL the arguments, know the effects of their arguments, be forced to find answers to questions they hadn't imagined being necessary, think quickly and become familiar with the opposition's tactics.

Bush could have benefitted in his debate with Kerry, Coulter, O'Reilly...all of em.

This is like mental/debating training camp here and I feel disappointment when I see Phil Donohue ready, willing and waiting for O'Reilly to deliver a SMACKDOWN but Bill couldn't deliver.

MacNN is like Top Gun.

Bill is good but MacNN would make him better.

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 07:34 AM

Bill is good at what? Screaming GOP lying points loud enough and long enough to dismiss his "guest" at the next commercial break?

Now that's debate!

Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 07:53 AM

Damn...I only saw the last few minutes but Phil had him on his arse. The points he made were logical..and he also had reality on his side which always helps.

Congress ought to be declaring wars not the president
The number of dead troops has doubled in the last year...along with Haliburtons stock price.

That is shameful..when the constitution is circumnavigated we all ought to question why. And when 18 year old kids are send to to die and companies get rich from it..and its happening...this is shameful.

Also caught Bill backtracking about how he's now not sure about this war..he was a f'n chearleader 2 years ago.

He got the beatdown. But really..how long can you defend a lie. Its crumbling for all of you..time for desperation.

Katies Human
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 08:40 AM

Bill is a sexual predator. How many millions of dollars did he have to pay that woman that he molested at his workplace?

Bill O'Reilly is one of those talk show "hosts" that blabs on and on without letting his "guest" get a word in edgewise. People who are "invited" on his show are merely there to get skewered by Bill and not out of respect.

Don't think very much of that guy or of Sean Hannity for that matter. I remember when Sean got busted coaching what one of the supporters of Terri Schiavo had to say - he was caught because he left his microphone on and it was recorded. "Now, this is what you should say when we come back from a [commercial] break."

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2

Yeah, she was THAT GIRL and that girl was hot in her day!

This wav file is of the TV Theme song for "That Girl." The posted image is of her first arriving in NYC aboard a train and you can hear the train expressed in the music with the brushes on snare drum. You see the excitement in her eyes as she looks out on her new 'playground.' It was a great show at an interesting time in American history and SHE was America's sweetheart.
Marlo was the daughter of famous comedian and actor (of Lebanese descent) Danny Thomas, who started the St. Jude's Children's Hospitals where kids with serious/terminal diseases could get treatment at no cost...

But, Phil Donahue???
Beauty and munificence all in one. What a lady! It's troubling to think Phil has any game. St. Jude is is real contribution to society. That's a lot more than I can say for Phil.
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Sep 23, 2005 at 02:06 PM. )

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 01:54 PM

"Moderator' stated:

<< Congress ought to be declaring wars not the president >>

The process is that the president asks for a decleration and CONGRESS AGREES or not.

What's YOUR POINT???

BTW- You seem to believe any stupid urban ledgend you read in the NY Times.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Katies Human
Bill is a sexual predator. How many millions of dollars did he have to pay that woman that he molested at his workplace?

Bill O'Reilly is one of those talk show "hosts" that blabs on and on without letting his "guest" get a word in edgewise. People who are "invited" on his show are merely there to get skewered by Bill and not out of respect.

Don't think very much of that guy or of Sean Hannity for that matter. I remember when Sean got busted coaching what one of the supporters of Terri Schiavo had to say - he was caught because he left his microphone on and it was recorded. "Now, this is what you should say when we come back from a [commercial] break."

Do you disapprove of all sexual predators? Or is it only when their views are not aligned with yours. What do you think of these people: Jefferson, Washington, Eisenhower, Patton, Macarthur, Kennedy?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 02:04 PM

What do you think of these people: Jefferson, Washington, Eisenhower, Patton, Macarthur, Kennedy?
Predators of the highest calibur.

But seriously, her statement has nothing to do with the discussion.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2005, 02:18 PM

Ooooo... a clash of mental titans.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Predators of the highest calibur.

But seriously, her statement has nothing to do with the discussion.

HA, good one. I guess they made the varsity team. O'Reilly is merely a bench warmer on the JV squad. But, yes EXACTLY....this has nothing to do with the thread. It introduces an invalid benchmark with which some people can incorrectly judge others. We are not talking about personal flaws. We are talking about policy and how the debate between Phil and Bill went.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2005, 02:20 PM

Do you disapprove of all sexual predators? Or is it only when their views are not aligned with yours. What do you think of these people: Jefferson, Washington, Eisenhower, Patton, Macarthur, Kennedy?
And Lincoln and MLK, don't forget them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 02:30 PM

Wow, does anyone with power NOT have affairs? However, I give Lincoln a break. His wife was a psycho to the nth degree. She was the Courtney Love of the 1800s.
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Sep 23, 2005 at 02:52 PM. )

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2005, 02:35 PM

that was classic. i downloaded the clip for my fan archive. love the factor.

what's up with donahue calling o'reilly "billie"? was their point to get all hot and bothered then hit the showers after the show?

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Katies Human
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2005, 04:09 PM

Do you disapprove of all sexual predators?

As a matter-of-fact, I do.

What a stupid question.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp

what's up with donahue calling o'reilly "billie"? was their point to get all hot and bothered then hit the showers after the show?
You didn't hear the penis pump under the table?
- Thomas Paine

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 04:53 PM

Now I know why I don't wach that show. Regardless of the views of his guests, that's no way to act. What a belligerent ass. That isn't intelligent debate, it's Oreilly yelling and pointing and refusing to let them get the last word in (even when he says he's going to).

Again, politics aside it's shamefully disrespectful. I suspect Oreilly of doing it willfully, as that seems to be his schtick.

By the way I saw the Glick bit too, and Oreilly misrepresented what he said.

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 04:58 PM

As a matter-of-fact, I do.

What a stupid question.

Strong words for someone whose initial post was dumber than s#it
( Last edited by Artful Dodger; Sep 23, 2005 at 06:11 PM. )

Artful Dodger
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2005, 04:58 PM

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 06:55 PM

Beauty and munificence all in one. What a lady! It's troubling to think Phil has any game. St. Jude is is real contribution to society. That's a lot more than I can say for Phil.
You have a way with words. Couldn't have said any of it, any better!

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 06:57 PM

Wow, does anyone with power NOT have affairs? However, I give Lincoln a break. His wife was a psycho to the nth degree. She was the Courtney Love of the 1800s.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 07:03 PM

Yeah, now that you mention it, it DID seem sorta like Billie just 'went off' without good justification and out of character and Phil does seem to be taken by surprise but toward the end Phil seemed like he was warming to a fight.

All we need is for Vince McMahon to show up!

OreoCookie
Sep 23, 2005, 07:23 PM

The talk show host totally sucks (I know neither of them). But a host is supposed to lead a discussion and not invite someone to not even let him finish a sentence. If all the host wants to do is to promote his views shouldn't have invited Donahue.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
The talk show host totally sucks (I know neither of them). But a host is supposed to lead a discussion and not invite someone to not even let him finish a sentence. If all the host wants to do is to promote his views shouldn't have invited Donahue.
To clarify a bit, the O'Reilly Factor is more of a news commentary show than a talk show.

The more I think about it the more I believe it was a BIT of an impromptu stunt. The MAIN key was when Phil began calling Bill, "Billie" and Bill didn't respond to THAT slight, suggesting a behind the camera closeness as teknopimp alluded.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 07:47 PM

Don't forget Mr. Bill Clinton, prima sexual predator of them all

OreoCookie
Sep 23, 2005, 07:47 PM

To clarify a bit, the O'Reilly Factor is more of a news commentary show than a talk show.

The more I think about it the more I believe it was a BIT of an impromptu stunt. The MAIN key was when Phil began calling Bill, "Billie" and Bill didn't respond to THAT slight, suggesting a behind the camera closeness as teknopimp alluded.
But still, Donahue had problems even making his opening statement, this is more like Jerry Springer than a discussion between two news commentators.

To be honest, since it was O'Reilly's show, I think he sucks as a commentator. He would be a challenge to most hosts, I guess. If you are not really interested in the other's opinion and you know, your points of views will never meet, why invite Donahue (or anyone else for that matter), knowing it's on his home turf?

This is nothing more than political masturbation, you are in an environment which largely supports your views and you can do things, you can't if you are on neutral grounds. The crowd is cheering and roaring as they have just witnessed the destruction of the political enemy which doesn't understand and doesn't stand a chance. The actors feel exhilarated and invincible … I'm really sick of this (This is a general remark, which includes, but is not limited to the show. You'll find more than enough examples on both sides of the aisle and I could give you quite a few German examples as well.)

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2005, 07:58 PM

I bet he's a closet liberal and this is just an act he does for the fame and teh fortune.

His words to Phil afterwards: "Wasn't that fun? We should do that again sometime."

Phil: "Sure Billy, gimme a call. See you at the rally!"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
"Moderator' stated:

<< Congress ought to be declaring wars not the president >>

The process is that the president asks for a decleration and CONGRESS AGREES or not.
Uhhh... this hasn't been the case for about 4 years.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Cold Warrior
Sep 23, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Uhhh... this hasn't been the case for about 4 years.
More like sixty-four.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2005, 03:01 AM

That would be a good example of political discourse done the wrong way. I think we can all agree on that, regardless of our position on Iraq, Bush, etc. More reason not to bother with TV anymore. We lose. The advertisers win.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2005, 10:20 AM

Imagine, a woman expresses interest in you so you open up to her. She expresses an interest in your fantasies and likes to talk naughty with you. You oblige because you're drawn in by the thrill of the chase. Then... BANG! Scandal. I can accuse you of sexually harrassing me. It means absolutely nothing as evidenced by the lack of interest in the story today. His show? Bigger than ever.

Did you happen to watch the program? Donahue wouldn't shut up. I was actually surprised by how many 'Mooreisms" were spewed with nary a retort from Bill. Phil clearly did most of the talking and they were ridiculous points. Though, in toll I'd have to say O'reilly was lamb-basted. Not by good points, but failure to take control of the debate by requiring Phil to expand with some actual data. Congress did not approve of our actions in Iraq??? The whole friggin' country was in favor of this action out of the gate. Now, as is always the case resolve has weakened.

Media have to keep a show moving. The worst nightmare is to have an interview or conversation lined up only to have the interviewee clam up. The media will help you if nothing more than to actually produce a show. The above statement is incriminating??? That's why you don't like Hannity or do his politics simply disagree with yours? See, I don't hate people based on their politics, but if they cannot espouse their view without vitriol, that's when I hate them. Michael Moore and Phil Donahue are two such people. I can't stand their reasoning and it's all fabricated nonsense and word-play. Feeble generalization you say? Ahh, fair enough. Everything they say is ALL bunk.

Indeed!
ebuddy

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 11:21 AM

Were they both high?

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2005, 03:17 PM

I dunno. The feeling I got was that Phil was trying to be deragotory to him--ie he did not "need" to refer to him by his proper name. Similar to a kid calling a teacher by his/her first name, i guess. And besides, if Bill told him to please refer to him as "Bill" and not "Billy" people would totally bash him for that. It wasn't that relevent to the conversation, and he would just get hit if he brought it up. So he decided to ignore it. Good decision if you ask me.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2005, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by loki74
I dunno. The feeling I got was that Phil was trying to be deragotory to him--ie he did not "need" to refer to him by his proper name. Similar to a kid calling a teacher by his/her first name, i guess. And besides, if Bill told him to please refer to him as "Bill" and not "Billy" people would totally bash him for that. It wasn't that relevent to the conversation, and he would just get hit if he brought it up. So he decided to ignore it. Good decision if you ask me.
Your analysis gives me reason to reconsider my initial impression. Maybe you have a point, loki74!

OreoCookie
Sep 25, 2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
Doesn't change that the other guy was a sucky host. I don't see how one was better than the other.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 08:58 PM

You guys watch too much Fox News.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by UNTiMac
You guys watch too much Fox News.
Ahh! Spoken like a true liberal. Ready, at the drop of a hat, to tell others what they should or shouldn't do!

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 09:09 PM

Ahh! Spoken like a true liberal. Ready, at the drop of a hat, to tell others what they should or shouldn't do!

Ahh, spoken like a true MacNN conservative. Ready, at the drop of a hat, to generalize a group of people so they're easier to deal with than intelligently examining actual issues.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2005, 09:13 PM

They're both talking head political hacks and attention whores.

Are we done yet? This argument is stupid.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2005, 09:14 PM

Ahh, spoken like a true MacNN conservative. Ready, at the drop of a hat, to generalize a group of people so they're easier to deal with than intelligently examining actual issues.
Ahh! Spoken like a liberal who knows that withdrawing from Iraq would imperil the US and doesn't want to admit he (rightfully so) would feel nervous if the US left the defense of the oil supplies to the current Iraqi military.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2005, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
They're both talking head political hacks and attention whores.

Are we done yet? This argument is stupid.
IS NOT!

By the way, are YOU willing to trust your life and the lives of your loved ones and the future of the USA to the current Iraqi military?

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 09:20 PM

Ahh! Spoken like a liberal who knows that withdrawing from Iraq would imperil the US and doesn't want to admit he (rightfully so) would feel nervous if the US left the defense of the oil supplies to the current Iraqi military.

When did I personally ever say we should withdraw from Iraq now? There you go generalizing again. mojo...argue with the person not the imagined demon you've built for yourself.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2005, 09:27 PM

When did I personally ever say we should withdraw from Iraq now? There you go generalizing again. mojo...argue with the person not the imagined demon you've built for yourself.
I apologize. That's what happens when I objectify the people here. I'd prefer they just be like video game opponents I can argue with and swat or smack around. Computerized demons aren't bad.

Won't you just pretend for me? And I'll be your pretend demon!

Forum Links
Forum Rules