Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "The Boss" wants to see me, I need your help.

"The Boss" wants to see me, I need your help.
iM@k
Senior User
Jun 1, 2009, 07:49 PM

Today my friend and I got tickets to see the last ever event @ Giants Stadium: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. (w000t!)

We're flying down to NYC early in the day to do some site seeing. It'll be our first time in the NYC area so I'd like to solicit some hep from locals/regular NYC visitors

1st. We'll be grabbing dinner around 4/4:30 Please list all your favorite restaurants. We'll be in street clothes and be a on a we bit of a budget so nothing too extravagant, but a decent enough place to make it memorable.

I'll use menupages.com to widdle down your recommendations.

2nd. We're staying at the Embassy Suites - Meadowlands (Saucaucus, NJ). I've reviewed the train/subway/bus schedules and we can make it to the hotel OK, but we think hiring a car for the night to get us to the stadium and back would work best. Please advise on a decent car hire company (again: we're not looking for a stretch limo, but having the sedan waiting for us outside the gate when the show is over would be nice).
What, me worry?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2009, 09:00 PM

Grimaldis in Brooklyn.

Just take a cab -- no need to hire a car.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2009, 09:37 PM

Getting from Grimaldis to the Meadowlands might be a bit of a pain, but it's a nice enough option.

Alternatively you've got tons of restaurants along Ninth Avenue (Hell's Kitchen) in the 40s and 50s. I'm partial to this little Afghan dive around 51st street myself. Also you can grab a beer at Rudy's, one of the few surviving local institutions.

And it's all just across the river from the show.

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2009, 09:39 PM

Public transportation might be an option: New Jersey Transit

Some decent Portuguese in the area if you want to stay on the Jersey side of the Hudson. Segovia is excellent and not too far from the stadium: Segovia Restaurant

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Jun 1, 2009, 10:19 PM

We can take NJT to the show, but according to the schedule the buses will probably stop running before before the show gets out. I guess I'll have to give NJT a call to find out if they'll have a service running late for after the event (Yes I see where it says they have service 30 mins after the end of an event but it seems to suggest that's just for sports events).
What, me worry?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 10:20 PM

I'll be there too. You got a good show to go to.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2009, 10:22 PM

Nemo me impune lacesset

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2009, 10:23 PM

^Indeed.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Grimaldis in Brooklyn.

Just take a cab -- no need to hire a car.
Brooklyn to Secaucus? No. That could take hours on a bad day, ESPECIALLY with Bruce in town.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ringo View Post
Some decent Portuguese in the area if you want to stay on the Jersey side of the Hudson. Segovia is excellent and not too far from the stadium: Segovia Restaurant
If you're going to stay on the Jersey side, and want Portuguese, and you really want to feel like a different kind of boss has requested a meeting, go to Tony De Caneca in the Iron Bound district of Newark. Best Portuguese I've ever had, and the experience may be one you tell your grandkids about.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 10:28 PM

Agreed. Ironbound section of Newark or in Harrison.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2009, 10:31 PM

Oh, and if you somehow find yourself downtown at dinner time, you can't go wrong with Cuba at 222 Thompson St, or s'mac (every kind of mac and cheese you can imagine) at 345 East 12th Street.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2009, 10:46 PM

Tick Tock Diner!

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Jun 2, 2009, 05:33 PM

S'mac sounds good.

Any other recommendations along those type of "down to earth yet unique" is exactly what I'm looking for in restaurant suggestions.

As we'll be arriving in the AM, the Tick Tock looks like a good place to get breakfast (although I was kinda looking at maybe a creperie).

We have two days in NYC so, keep the suggestions coming.
What, me worry?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2009, 12:28 PM

For breakfast on a weekday I like the "Good Stuff Diner" on 14th street(at 6th ave)--though I don't do weekday breakfast very often I admit.

Grimaldi's isn't as good as it used to be and wouldn't be worth the trip to Brooklyn now--especially since there's usually a long tourist line. Long lines for average pizza--no thanks. If you wanted to eat at Patsy's you'd do just as well with less crowding. Lombardi's in Soho is also good.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
Oh, and if you somehow find yourself downtown at dinner time, you can't go wrong with Cuba at 222 Thompson St, or s'mac (every kind of mac and cheese you can imagine) at 345 East 12th Street.
While you're down there:

Number 28 Pizza (Carmine Street) Pizza - off Bleecker st.. This place makes the best pizza I've had in decades - sold by length.
Soft, chewy, fresh everything.

There are a few other pizza joints nearby, all unique:
John's Pizza (bleecker off 7th ave) - nice carbon charring on a thin crust
Joes Pizza (carmine & 6th ave) - best slice in NYC at one time, perhaps not anymore, but still great
Rays on 11th & 6th - this is truly the one and only original Rays, since the early 60's at least. Big cheesy slices.

Italian food: Monte's at 97 McDougal St The last of the old school Italian restaurants. A little pricey, but fantastic.

in the East Village:

Yaffa Cafe - 97 St Marks Place decent middle easterny/eclectic food, decent price, cool atmosphere
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Tiresias
Jun 4, 2009, 01:14 AM

What does all this have to do with the boss wanting to see you?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 4, 2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen (born September 23, 1949), nicknamed "The Boss", is an American songwriter, singer and musician.
There you go.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 4, 2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
While you're down there:
John's Pizza (bleecker off 7th ave) - nice carbon charring on a thin crust
Does that place use a coal-fired oven? If it's the one I'm thinking of, big thumbs up.
Nemo me impune lacesset

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Does that place use a coal-fired oven? If it's the one I'm thinking of, big thumbs up.
Yup! There used to be lines to get in - Woody Allen even cast the owner in Broadway Danny Rose. An institution!

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Sep 3, 2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Tick Tock Diner!
Ok, so the trip is now officially one month away, w00t!!!!!

In the time since I posted this, I did make a day trip to NYC to get a feel for the town (While visiting friends in CT we spent the day at the Natuaral history museum). While there I did stop in to the Tick Tock for lunch. It was rather good, I was satisfied (It was funny coming out of the subway as their are two exits, by luck I choose the right one that comes out literally next to the Tick Tock)

If anyone else can recommend any other places we should try, now's the time to submit them so I can work them into the plans

Thanks in advance!
What, me worry?

Forum Links
Forum Rules