Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can I just once in my life get Toast to work right the first time?

Can I just once in my life get Toast to work right the first time?
Ham Sandwich
Jul 18, 2011, 10:57 AM

Alright so here's my newest dilemma with this program.

I am trying to back up 21 GB of data onto a Verbatim BD-RE using Toast 10.
Shouldn't be a problem.
Toast 10 doesn't recognize the presence of the external blu-ray recorder. I keep clicking to change the recorder from my internal superdrive, but it just goes back to superdrive.
Plugging in and out the blu-ray several times doesn't work.
So, I restart my computer (shouldn't have to do this to get it to work on a Mac!), plug it in, still doesn't recognize the blu-ray reader.
Fine, I turn the device on/off a few more times, and NOW FINALLY Toast recognizes it!!

Phew
anyways onwards to my real problem.... now I can't burn the data.
I'm all set to go, 21 GB out of 24 point something-or-other used, so I have more than enough guaranteed free space to fit it all on one disc.
I select my blu-ray recorder, and hit record.

But Toast gives me the following error message and refuses to record:

But I'm NOT TRYING to span multiple discs! And it's a brand new disc, I've been using these same discs elsewhere without a problem. How could it possibly tell me that a brand new blu-ray disc (and a second disc that I tried for test purposes) is less than 39.1 MB? It's a 25 GB disc!!

So, Toast just will not record my data and goes back to the mail window... and at the bottom I see this:

What the hell is going on????
I seriously feel like every single time I record data to a disc with or without Toast, there's always some weird/new problem that pops up and it takes me a whole extra day to back up data (pattern I've seen for 10 years). Seriously, what is this, f---'n Windows??!! Why is Toast giving me this crap?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2011, 12:07 PM

Backup on BlueRay ?

You said enough.

Get a cheap, portable HD, copy the data to it and tuck it away. THAT's a backup strategy.

-t

Ham Sandwich
Jul 18, 2011, 04:20 PM

I don't trust hard drives. They break, they fail, they're not always portable, they have to be set up and connected (vs. throw in a disc), I can't mail my friends my hard drive so they can see my video albums (but I can mail them a DVD or a blu-ray movie that I created), manufacturers have had trouble properly designing high-capacity interfaces for external drives, and they're generally more expensive than optical media.

Amazon.com: Verbatim BD-RE

I can get 250 GB of blu-ray storage for $40. The cheapest new 250 GB hard drive I could find was also around $40. Although I did find a 1 TB hard drive for $55 that looks nice: Newegg.com - Eagle Tech 1TB USB 2.0 Black External Hard Drive with Blue LED base ET-CS1000TSIU2-BK

I'll stick with optical media.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2011, 05:06 PM

Well, you experienced yourself how iffy BD can be on a Mac. Don't expect this to change. It's an unsupported medium.

IMO, HD are much safer and reliable for OS X than a medium that required 3rd party drivers and apps.

-t

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 07:13 AM

Which Blu-ray burner do you have there?, mine is a LG BE12LU30 USB 2 and Toast recognizes it without any hassle.

It's an unsupported medium.
Come on, the icon is there !!

BTW, I don't trust hard disks either; you know for sure they are going to die sooner than later. I have already replaced two internal hard disks from my Mac Pro. I still have my Mac OS 9 related back-ups on DVDs though.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
BTW, I don't trust hard disks either; you know for sure they are going to die sooner than later. I have already replaced two internal hard disks from my Mac Pro. I still have my Mac OS 9 related back-ups on DVDs though.
LOL, BD was DOA on Macs, beat that

HD *alone* are not a sufficient backup strategy.
That's why I backup on HDs, and important stuff encrypted online.

I don't trust HDs to be free from failure, that's why I got a Drobo.

-t

reader50
Administrator
Jul 19, 2011, 11:00 AM

Have you considered using Flash drives for backups? They have limited write cycles, but I've not heard of a read limit. A backup written to one might last indefinitely. There is a 1500 insertions limit estimated for a USB connector, but that's the only read limit wikipedia suggested.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 19, 2011, 01:15 PM

I tried using Flash drives for backups. I tried an OCZ Rally2 32GB flash drive, which was advertised to be super fast, but instead:

A 209 MB folder containing 4,219 items took:
1:54 to transfer on my 2006 Memorex 2GB, a rate of 1.83 MB/s.
12:23 to transfer on the OCZ Rally2, a rate of 0.282 MB/s.
The OCZ Rally2 performed at a speed 6.5x slower than that of my old Memorex.

The flash drive was brand new. They said the controller was bad. After reading reviews on Amazon, I have yet to see anyone rave about any high-capacity flash drive, so I'm disappointed.

By the way, the problem with Toast was that I had two conflicting preference files in different languages. Now recording in blu-ray works fine.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2011, 02:13 PM

HD *alone* are not a sufficient backup strategy.
That's why I backup on HDs, and important stuff encrypted online.

I don't trust HDs to be free from failure, that's why I got a Drobo.

-t
I get your point. I don't rely on Blu-ray media, it just adds another layer to my backup strategy. And it is 'safe' since Blu-ray are far from being ubiquitous.

LOLed with my Mac OS 9 backups?, it gets better, I have the Archos FireZIP -FireWire- so I can access to the prehistoric iomega ZIP drives I still have around here.

I do backup on two internal HDs of my Mac Pro and two external HDs.

As for the 'cloud', it is just a pity I can't rely on the net to do backups for anything but small stuff which I backup to SpiderOak, Dropbox and LaCie Wuala service.

I found this backup strategy some time ago, it will give you 6 copies of your vital data and three copies of not so vital data. I think it is a rather good one to follow.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 19, 2011, 02:48 PM

I don't have the money or the room in my apartment for all that.

Ideally, I'd have my Pro duplicated onto a RAID replica. What a beast that would be, hey, someone pass me a drool bib (preferably a clean bib).

reader50
Administrator
Jul 19, 2011, 03:18 PM

With Flash drives, you aren't limited to USB. You could try some Class 10 SD cards. They have to maintain minimum read speeds, for video capture.

Forum Links
Forum Rules