Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > TV Serieseseseses

TV Serieseseseses (Page 13)
andi*pandi
Feb 26, 2023, 12:59 PM

3 or 4 eps?

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2023, 01:08 PM

It might be worth checking a few more out.

I began to like it more once they folded in the college student storyline, and the energy vampire versus emotional vampire storyline. Colin is a great character.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 27, 2023, 09:42 AM

I got several adamant recs for that show. Made it through the first couple episodes. I was willing to do more, wife wasn't.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2023, 01:11 PM

I get the feeling a lot of people really love it, while I’m enjoying it more in spite of itself. The leads are all very entertaining performers, even if the material they’re given is rough around the edges.

Put down a few more episodes of Poker Face. I can say definitively now it’s a love letter to late 70s TV shows like Columbo and The Rockford Files… also Love Boat, because almost every episode has a washed up celebrity guest star. I just saw an episode with Judith Light, who both looks frigging fantastic, and totally knocks it out of the park.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2023, 12:03 AM

Agree that Poker Face is an old-school serial throwback.

Also: it’s…ok. It’s fine. Feels repetitive after a couple episodes. Definitely hasn’t held my interest enough to look forward to the next one after finishing an episode. Perhaps like those old serials, maybe it’s just good enough to want to watch one a week.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2023, 04:57 PM

I think you mean “episodic” and not “serial”.

I’m enjoying Lyonne’s performance enough to manage 2-3 in a sitting.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2023, 07:24 PM

Yeah you’re probably right. The can’t imagine watching 3 in one sitting, I would be a wreck

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2023, 07:53 PM

In what sense? You’d be bored from the repetition?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2023, 09:41 PM

I just….find it kind of sucks the life out of the room. I don’t know why; Lyonne is somehow looking hotter than ever. We tried the budget nascar episode last night and it was exhausting.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2023, 06:18 PM

That was definitely one of the weaker and less memorable episodes, but for me Buster Scruggs as guest star was worth the price of admission. The twist was mildly interesting, too.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2023, 04:33 PM

Watched the first episode of Shrinking. Enjoyed it. I’m watching it with someone who’s a clinical therapist, and she kept nodding.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2023, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
but for me Buster Scruggs as guest star
I think I mentioned it in the movie thread, but speaking of that actor, anyone who likes westerns should check out Old Henry. It’s good, and he’s brilliant in it.

OreoCookie
Apr 1, 2023, 11:40 PM

Shrinking is very good, but it took me a good three episodes to get into it. Then I got hooked.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2023, 12:33 AM

It took me about 15-20 minutes.

I know that sounds flip, but I really, really wasn’t enjoying it at first.

OreoCookie
Apr 2, 2023, 05:45 AM

To be honest, I didn’t like the main character at first. He was an irresponsible asshole. Only with time did I get to appreciate all the characters. I really like how they are flawed, lovable and manage to support each other. It clicked for me after the relationships became established.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2023, 05:14 PM

“Shrinking” is great.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2023, 11:06 PM

The overly prominent iPhone noises irk me though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2023, 10:58 AM

Finished Cunk on Earth, which is fantastic, and gets a very solid recommendation.

It would be an unreserved recommendation, but the last episode was weak. No lols. In contrast to other episodes which each had at least two.

andi*pandi
Apr 12, 2023, 11:24 AM

The kid made me watch an ep of Cunk on Earth, I had mixed feelings... yes, it was funny, but I felt very badly for most of the real historical experts that she was making fun of.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2023, 12:00 PM

I understand feeling bad for them because she’s taking advantage of their good nature, but I don’t think she’s making fun of them. What she’s mostly making fun of are British documentaries, and she nails it.
( Last edited by subego; Apr 12, 2023 at 12:51 PM. )

Thorzdad
Apr 12, 2023, 04:52 PM

I’m pretty sure the experts understood going-in that the show was a parody, but also had no advance warning what questions were going to be thrown at them. It was actually funny watching the various responses, which ranged from being appalled to playing-along. I recall seeing only one person get visibly riled by the questioning.

I started lukewarm on the show, but it really clicked for me about halfway through the second episode.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2023, 04:24 AM

The overly prominent iPhone noises irk me though.
This annoys me about all of the „contemporary“ Apple TV+ shows. Every computer and every phone (except those inside the company offices in Severance) HAS TO be from Apple.

Suspension of disbelief and all, but…really?

I’m already a subscriber. I don’t need ever single show to be an ad for their stuff.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2023, 06:58 AM

The one example I liked, which involved an Apple product, but an idea not exclusive to Apple (AFAIK):

Harrison Ford’s having the giant-size text Accessibility setting on.

OreoCookie
Apr 13, 2023, 06:54 PM

Yup, I noticed that, too, and thought it was subtle, great and actually of benefit to some users. How many non-technical people know you can increase the size of UI elements and accommodate people with impaired fine motor skills (Ford’s character has Parkinson’s).

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2023, 07:12 PM

I can see how that would be helpful for impaired motor skills, but I assumed it was because of presbyopia (i.e., needing reading glasses).

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2023, 12:09 PM

Hitler’s Circle of Evil

10 hour Netflix documentary which could be subtitled “Hitler’s Henchmen”. Really quite excellent. I honestly didn’t have them all straight in my head, so the exhaustive disambiguation was appreciated. If I have a criticism, many of the actors doing the re-enactments look nothing like the actual people, which can make it confusing at times. Himmler is spot-on though.

As an aside, this is exactiy the kind of documentary Cunk on Earth is making fun of.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2023, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I’m pretty sure the experts understood going-in that the show was a parody, but also had no advance warning what questions were going to be thrown at them.
My dad opined they were also all probably instructed to answer her questions as accurately as they could, regardless of how out there they got.

My favorite:

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2023, 11:47 AM

Watched the first two episodes of Reacher and absolutely loved them. Took zero time for the show to hit full speed.

Thorzdad
Apr 29, 2023, 02:48 PM

Yeah, we liked Reacher, too. They’re making a second series now.

You might want to try The Night Agent over on Netflix. It kind of has a similar vibe as Reacher, but a little different. It’s pretty light fare, really, but enjoyable enough.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2023, 05:42 PM

OreoCookie
Apr 30, 2023, 05:35 PM

Watched the first two episodes of Reacher and absolutely loved them. Took zero time for the show to hit full speed.
Meh. I watched the season, but only when I wanted to switch my brain off. The characters were one-dimensional, everyone was too perfect and during the last episode I got a definite A-Team 1980s vibe (just with more death and blood).

Netflix made two cheaper versions, which felt more low brow but also lower budget: one about a sniper and the other one about an FBI agent who guards a phone at the White House.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2023, 05:54 PM

When it comes to Reacher himself, he’s special forces Jesus Autist Christ. IMO, precisely what makes him awesome is not having another dimension.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2023, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Meh. I watched the season, but only when I wanted to switch my brain off. The characters were one-dimensional, everyone was too perfect and during the last episode I got a definite A-Team 1980s vibe (just with more death and blood).

Netflix made two cheaper versions, which felt more low brow but also lower budget: one about a sniper and the other one about an FBI agent who guards a phone at the White House.
The phone one is Night Agent mentioned above. Not too bad actually, pretty formulaic but had some good moments. Zero chemistry between the two lead actors though, the forced romance plotline was a total bust.

I agree that there was something compelling about the new Reacher, even though the show wore itself out pretty quickly. Very physically imposing onscreen presence—actually, quite unlike the Night Agent main character. And quite a contrast from Tom Cruise’s big-screen portrayal……which of course was simply an unemployed Ethan Hunt.

Seasons 4 of both Succession and Barry are rollin. If you’re not watching, I don’t even know how to help you

OreoCookie
May 1, 2023, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
The phone one is Night Agent mentioned above.
Yes, my brain apparently didn't deem this information to be important enough to commit to permanent storage
Not too bad actually, pretty formulaic but had some good moments. Zero chemistry between the two lead actors though, the forced romance plotline was a total bust.
Some of the plot twists were alright, but just the shootouts, especially those in the last episode, seemed a bit 1980s A-Team/action movies. It would have been more fun if they had shifted some of that into e. g. the President having to decide whether or not to believe those two.
I agree that there was something compelling about the new Reacher, even though the show wore itself out pretty quickly. Very physically imposing onscreen presence—actually, quite unlike the Night Agent main character.
Reacher seems too perfect even though some of the story implies giant weaknesses. He was super, super tight with his brother and then what? Despite not being good with people, he is able to befriend others when convenient in record time!?? Overall, Reacher was too good at everything, and the other characters a bit contrived, too. At least they had (stereotypical) weaknesses.
And quite a contrast from Tom Cruise’s big-screen portrayal……which of course was simply an unemployed Ethan Hunt.
Hehe, nice observation. Indeed, it feels like a Tom Cruise character. Rather than squashing the two cops who “arrest” him, Tom Cruise's Reacher is two, three, four steps ahead of the Sheriff and his deputy. Amazon's Reacher in comparison seemed a bit more dull and hands-on.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2023, 01:56 AM

Powered through four more episodes of Reacher. Still enjoying it a lot, but the tightness of the first couple episodes has begun to unravel.

andi*pandi
May 3, 2023, 12:44 PM

I wanted to like reacher, the action etc, but it seemed soulless.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2023, 12:57 PM

Yes!! I remember having the exact same experience.

I’m again going to plug Succession, Barry and to a slightly lesser extent Yellowjackets. /brokenrecord

subego
Clinically Insane
May 3, 2023, 02:46 PM

I liked the first season of Yellowjackets a lot, though I’m slightly older than the demo they’re aiming for. Only been waiting for the new season to build up a backlog since I usually binge.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2023, 01:15 AM

Finished Reacher. I ultimately enjoyed it a ton, but will admit it was uneven.

Things I disliked the most were:

Lots of very improbable plot contrivances
Anything where someone intentionally left a “puzzle”
The sudden nudity

Thorzdad
May 4, 2023, 05:49 PM

I liked the first season of Yellowjackets a lot, though I’m slightly older than the demo they’re aiming for. Only been waiting for the new season to build up a backlog since I usually binge.
Is Yellowjackets kind of violent? So many people I know seem to like it, but every time I look at it, I’m left with a feeling that brutality is in the offing.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2023, 07:29 PM

“Kind of violent” would be an understatement. Sex, drugs, violence, rock’n’roll. And cannibalism. Embrace the madness!!!

subego
Clinically Insane
May 4, 2023, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Is Yellowjackets kind of violent? So many people I know seem to like it, but every time I look at it, I’m left with a feeling that brutality is in the offing.
It’s Lord of the Flies.

Thorzdad
May 4, 2023, 10:03 PM

Ah. Big pass, then.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2023, 11:18 PM

Amazing, I’m like “Lord of the Flies + Alive + Lost? Sign me tf up”

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2023, 12:07 AM

What ultimately sold me was Lewis, Ricci, and Lynskey. They’re fantastic.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2023, 12:10 AM

Watched The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window. Not totally sure what to make of it.

As an aside, just like it was weird to see an adult Lana Lang in Reacher it’s was weird to see an adult Veronica Mars in this.

Thorzdad
May 6, 2023, 06:28 AM

Since the birds woke me up early (again) I decided to tune-in for the coronation of the last king of England this morning. It’s a bit underwhelming.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2023, 03:25 PM

I was contemplating hate-watching it, but didn’t follow through.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2023, 08:14 PM

Who’s on Apple’s Silo?

It’s like…..something I can’t quite put my finger on, think a bit of Blade Runner crossed with Snowpiercer with maybe some Westworld?

andi*pandi
May 19, 2023, 01:25 PM

I don't need a dystopia right now so haven't checked it out.

Currently thoroughly enjoying Ted Lasso. Would like to go to Amsterdam.
And I know it may not be you guyses wheelhouse, but Call the Midwives is really well done drama. Good for irrigating the sinuses, and some laughs. Warning: much PG depiction of childbirth, of course.

Forum Links
Forum Rules