Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 14)
ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2021, 09:07 PM

Well yeah, we're not going there anymore. It's just the brass of charging folks a lot more just because they're a quarter mile outside Sea World's gate. It irks me enough to post about it.

I usually prefer a non-bean chili, but I came up with a vegetarian chili I make with black beans and garbanzos. And since I like to avoid charring the inside of my mouth, I tend to go with a little actual chili in my chili, but lots of the kind of flavors that go with chili. Now I'm getting hungry and thinking about making a batch of my veggie chili.

The two barbecue places are quite different from each other. One is called "Rudy's," a local/regional chain, and they have their own spin on both recipes and how to serve everything. The other is more a Central Texas chain called Bill Miller BBQ. I like 'em both, but I tend to go to Rudy's more.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2021, 03:45 PM

I have a good recipe, but it takes forever to cook, and then really needs to sit in the fridge for a day to reach maximum flavor.

I don’t know if you can still get Pomi.

Thorzdad
Sep 16, 2021, 09:22 PM

We’re beginning to get flooded with @&#*$% Shen Yun ads.

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2021, 12:21 AM

Win11… yuck. MS doubled down on wverything users hated and made it look like macOS for good measure. One of the few differentiators between Mac/PC was always that Windows was more open. If Microsoft wants to go down the ‘we know best’/remove options/mandatory (un-rollback-anle) update route… have fun.

PS: I fear we are nearing a point that the open PC/web is gone.

Thorzdad
Sep 17, 2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Win11… yuck. MS doubled down on wverything users hated and made it look like macOS for good measure.
I was watching tv the other night and a commercial came on. It looked like an ad for MacOS, especially when I saw the Dock along the bottom of the screenshot. But, it was a very different feel for a Mac ad, and I thought it was an interesting change in direction for Apple. Then, the Windows 11 logo popped-up at the end.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 17, 2021, 05:20 PM

I got a new Win 10 laptop for Christmas. After all that I’ve read about how “well” MS has managed rolling out even preview versions, I’m staying the heck away from Win 11 for as long as I can. Yuck.

Oh, it turns out that Whataburger (a Texas tradition since 1950) does a pretty good breakfast menu. Hopefully the coffee being a bit weak was just the one restaurant we stopped at, but otherwise good food and good value.

And I’m probably going to have to take a whack at that recipe, subego. Yum!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
And I’m probably going to have to take a whack at that recipe, subego. Yum!
It looks like Pomi is still around. They had a bankruptcy problem awhile back.

For anyone not familiar, they’re strained or chopped Italian tomatoes. It has a long shelf life, so I’ve always assumed they’ve been irradiated. Way less hassle than dealing with fresh.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2021, 09:09 AM

Well yeah, we're not going there anymore. It's just the brass of charging folks a lot more just because they're a quarter mile outside Sea World's gate. It irks me enough to post about it.
If they charged less than people were willing to pay, that'd be pretty stupid of them, no?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2021, 10:39 AM

Agreed. But again, they are cashing in on being just outside Sea World. I don’t know if that property costs more than where other McDs are, but the prices rankle me because they are cashing in on where they are, without actually being connected to Sea World. I guess it’s my sense of propriety showing.

Another minor irritant: crosswalk lights that change before you finish crossing. Not at a “nonogenarian shuffling across” pace, but my 15 minute mile pace. WTH? Especially with left turn signals, through lane signals and the like. In particular, I see this at a crosswalk a block away from a high school. Are these teens even going to notice the light changing while living through their phones?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2021, 11:37 AM

Are these teens even going to notice the light changing while living through their phones?
Seeing people cross the street while looking at their phone is a minor irritant.

I’m not saying I’ve never done it, but my lifetime count is below 5.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 20, 2021, 02:09 PM

Agreed. But again, they are cashing in on being just outside Sea World. I don’t know if that property costs more than where other McDs are, but the prices rankle me because they are cashing in on where they are, without actually being connected to Sea World. I guess it’s my sense of propriety showing.
Do you also get mad that movie theaters charge $10 for $0.50 of popcorn, or that a 20oz soda costs $1.99 while a 2 liter bottle is $2?

Prices of non-commodity goods has almost no connection to cost of production, only to what someone is willing to pay for it.

Another minor irritant: crosswalk lights that change before you finish crossing.
Like...change to full stop? Or just blinking stop? The ones around me start blinking about halfway through which just means "if you haven't started across by now, you won't make it by the time it changes for real."

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2021, 02:33 PM

There’s a cluster 5-way intersection near me which allows you to cross two streets at once.

The game I play is to try and racewalk across before it starts blinking. My best times are still at least one stride from the finish line.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2021, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Do you also get mad that movie theaters charge $10 for $0.50 of popcorn, or that a 20oz soda costs $1.99 while a 2 liter bottle is $2?

Prices of non-commodity goods has almost no connection to cost of production, only to what someone is willing to pay for it.

Like...change to full stop? Or just blinking stop? The ones around me start blinking about halfway through which just means "if you haven't started across by now, you won't make it by the time it changes for real."
I used to object to theater prices, but after having the business model laid out for me, I just don't buy their stuff. Except when I go to an Alamo Drafthouse, and then a meal is usually part of the experience - and they don't charge like "typical theaters," either. Good stuff for a not-so-premium price.

The cross walk signal is really a very minor irritant, but it's part of the "anti pedestrian" way streets and roads are made. That is a much less minor irritant.

The crosswalk has a "walk" signal for a timed 25 seconds, followed by a 20 second countdown. It's more the timing than the length of time; it doesn't seem to line up with when traffic stops, and of course you can't see the crossing signals from as far away as you can see the traffic, so it looks like the "walk" signal comes and goes in a flash.

I see traffic stop from at least half a block away, but when I get to the intersection the countdown is at 10 or less, even though the traffic won't start again for another 45 seconds... Maybe I'm more miffed about the mixed messaging than the actual timing, but this is one of those things that has no obvious rationale, and I can't find a way to ask anyone who would know...

It looks like I'm looking for something to grumble about, but really it's about the primacy of cars taking away, or discouraging, the simple act of walking a few blocks. It's frustrating and challenging, and that's only if everybody driving is playing nice. Which is almost never...

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2021, 10:43 AM

I don’t like how all the tips/onboarding/nags are re-enabled after major iOS updates.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2021, 11:16 AM

The cross walk signal is really a very minor irritant, but it's part of the "anti pedestrian" way streets and roads are made. That is a much less minor irritant.
I’m confused. Here, the walk plus flashing countdown timer matches the length of the traffic light.

How much of that time is flashing countdown depends on how long the crosswalk is. If the crosswalk is at a steep angle, you can get a situation where the walk signal will only last for a second or two, followed by a 30+ second countdown.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 21, 2021, 12:03 PM

If I get a chance, I’ll actually time this one. It’s only two lanes each way with a small median divider, so the 20 second count down should be adequate for someone actually waiting at the intersection for the lights to change.

But with the crosswalk signal only visible from a very short distance away from the intersection, it’s not feasible to judge from traffic movement whether the crosswalk signal is green until you’re right there. And since the relationship between traffic and the crosswalk signals is arcane at best, I wind up rushing up to the curb only to stop short once I can see the signal.

Indeed, this is a very minor irritant in a lot of ways, and would be for me if a) I wasn’t trying to keep a particular pace in my walking (not just exercise, it’s physical therapy too) and b) the majority of traffic is high schoolers or their heli-parents, none of whom seem to understand traffic rules, let alone basic physics. It’s a good thing that the local fire station is really close by, because first responders respond to this intersection pretty regularly. In short, in my opinion the signals don’t fit either the drivers or my pedestrian uses for this intersection.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2021, 03:37 PM

I’m still not totally sure I’m getting it.

Is it a situation where the pedestrian signal has counted out to zero (i.e., don’t walk at all), but then the traffic light stays red for a bunch of time afterwards?

reader50
Administrator
Sep 21, 2021, 04:58 PM

The countdown is guaranteed time. After that, it may switch at any time. Depending on traffic arriving on the side street. Push the button (assuming there is one) for more guaranteed pedestrian time.

Thorzdad
Sep 21, 2021, 05:11 PM

For about the past year, every box of aluminum foil we’ve purchased, name brand or generic, has had the cutting blade come detached and bent outward on one end of the box. Usually the leading edge.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2021, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
The countdown is guaranteed time. After that, it may switch at any time.
I can’t recall ever seeing this last more than about two seconds before some traffic signal has given vehicles right-of-way into the crosswalk.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 21, 2021, 08:11 PM

Yes, through traffic is stopped. Sometimes there is left turn traffic, but that light goes green whether there's a line of cars or not, so through traffic stays stopped, the crosswalk is stopped, and often for no reason. Except for Jerkface Senior Boy who might show up out of nowhere and turn toward the school at 60 MPH, that is.

I get the impression that the traffic light planners here are either solid C students, or more than a little mean. I had thought this was common among a lot of places...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2021, 08:08 AM

I’m definitely used to traffic lights which change regardless of traffic, they’re pretty much all that way.

This bothers me more as a driver than a pedestrian though, because I’ll get a ticket for violating a traffic signal in a car, but not as a pedestrian (Chicago is a place where jaywalkers don’t ever get ticketed).

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 28, 2021, 05:30 PM

I timed that crosswalk today, at least in one direction. It lasted for at least 22 seconds, followed by a 22 second count down.

I had also not taken into account the time of day. My crossing challenges have been at morning rush hour. At about 10am there’s a longer green crossing light, along with a lot less traffic.

No my irritation is more about MY timing than the lights’ timing.

Anyway, I’m over being grumpy about it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2021, 04:08 PM

Instacart is having a personnel meltdown or something, and won’t bring me shit for five whole hours.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2021, 07:35 PM

Been that way here for a few weeks. Nobody wants to work shitty retail jobs anymore. Holiday staffing is gonna be fun.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2021, 02:26 PM

For the moment, it’s reverted back to 2-3 hours, but no express option.

Edit: looks like they’re actually managing to do it in an hour.
( Last edited by subego; Oct 4, 2021 at 03:21 PM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2021, 11:56 PM

Wanting to post this

In the minor pleasure thread, but it’s too old to bump.

Phun phact: two out of five total posts in that thread is me lemoncookieposting.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2021, 10:08 AM

Do you prefer the bite size over the sticks? Menards carries a bunch of flavors of the sticks. No matter what flavor I buy they're gone by the end of the day. Lemon is good, vanilla is good, peanut butter is decent.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2021, 11:02 AM

Bite size, lemon only.

The only trick I have for not finishing the bag in a day is to front-load a pint of ice cream.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2021, 05:33 PM

When this is the dosage on your prescription.

Upon reflection, maybe this should have gone in Woops!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 12, 2021, 05:51 PM

I flipped the image horizontally, to see if someone had written backwards as a joke. No dice.

Is there a reason why they wrote your prescription in Arabic?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2021, 06:36 PM

None I can think of. Thankfully, the supplement was in English.

Is it Arabic? I know it looks like it, but I can’t shake the feeling it’s something else. Too wide looking.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 12, 2021, 09:31 PM

I suppose Hebrew is possible - it also uses a lot of extra dots. But when I did google image searches for writing samples of each, it does look like Arabic. I could match up some symbols.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2021, 11:16 PM

Definitely not Hebrew.

My Googling says Arabic, too. More specifically, there isn’t some other script which can be easily confused for Arabic. Maybe it’s not a good font.

Here’s some Arabic I found.

الْأَبْجَدِيَّة الْعَرَبِيَّة

See how the vertical elements have less spacing between them?

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 13, 2021, 03:23 PM

It could be Farsi, too. Farsi uses an alphabet very similar to Arabic, but with some variation in character shapes, etc.

Either way, you need someone to translate that for you. Not "good patient care" here...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2021, 11:36 PM

It could be Farsi, too.
Good call! Googling some examples, it looks more widely spaced, and also looks like it uses less dots than Arabic.

My rough translation is “take one capsule by mouth three times daily until all taken”.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 14, 2021, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
My rough translation is “take one capsule by mouth three times daily until all taken”.
How boring - sounds like many drug labels.

"Take one capsule by mouth three times daily. Continue no more than one week after all taken."

I know doctors can have fun with advice. After all, they tell you to drink lots of water, and try to get an uninterrupted nights' sleep.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2021, 01:40 AM

“Take one capsule by mouth, two if by sea.”

Another minor irritant. 8 hour doses. Extended release that shit.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2021, 11:51 AM

Ya know…

Maybe it’s just a printed version of the doctor’s handwritten prescription…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2021, 12:08 PM

Actually, that relates to another minor irritant with this prescription.

This prescription I was originally given was printed by computer, so no messy handwriting, but it was for someone else. I didn’t notice until the pharmacist asked about the flu shot that pharmacy administered to me.

I’ve… never had a flu shot.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 14, 2021, 08:36 PM

That's a BIG oopsie. Look up "medication errors" and you'll see one of the worst is giving something to the wrong patient. Pharmacists are responsible for giving the right bottle of pills to the right person...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2021, 11:32 AM

Thankfully, the medications on the prescription were right, so I’d be okay even if they filled it.

Not quite a medication error, but my blood sugar can be iffy, and when I was in the hospital once they accidentally put in a glucose IV instead of saline.

I actually walked over that one.

Same hospital that after I stepped out front for a smoke, said they would call the police if I did it again on the grounds I was “stealing the IV stand”.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 15, 2021, 12:30 PM

Bring your own IV stand next time. With your nameplate on it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2021, 12:55 PM

In hindsight, I really should have doubled down.

“Yes officer, I decided to leave all my clothes, the keys to my apartment, and my shoes, so I could hock this IV stand. You caught me fair and square.”

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2021, 10:02 PM

I found an iPad a couple days ago which got lost in the “discontinuity” of the pandemic, and through a perfect storm of events, the “new device” warning from Apple didn’t come until today.

For a good 15 minutes, I was convinced my account had been hacked.

Thorzdad
Oct 16, 2021, 01:55 PM

Google throws me a "New device. Is this you?" alert every time I log into my Gmail accounts through a browser (instead of via Thunderbird) It's the same computer and browser I've been using for years. You'd think Google would have remembered them by now.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 16, 2021, 02:37 PM

Desktop use here. Google throws a "new device" warning every time Firefox does a point update. Same if the OS version increments.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2021, 07:07 AM

Had to use Bing! (fries’ done) instead of Google to steal a movie because Google scrubs their shit.

(I would have gladly paid were it possible to get a hard copy)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2021, 08:39 AM

Had to use Bing! (fries’ done) instead of Google to steal a movie because Google scrubs their shit.

(I would have gladly paid were it possible to get a hard copy)
I liked it when Google had a link at the bottom letting you see exactly which links they removed. Because they were listing the links with a valid copyright claim against them, it was a nice collection of the best functional links, letting you skip through all of the login-required sites and other spam. I think they stopped doing that.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 18, 2021, 11:57 PM

I found an iPad a couple days ago which got lost in the “discontinuity” of the pandemic, and through a perfect storm of events, the “new device” warning from Apple didn’t come until today.

For a good 15 minutes, I was convinced my account had been hacked.
I had devised a “perfect storm” mechanism for how I had caused the delay in the new device message, but turns out it’s Apple’s fault. Just happened again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules