Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Kinect

Kinect
gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2010, 04:08 AM

I'm kind of surprised that there's no thread on this yet. It's been out for a while now - has anyone here picked one up yet? I'm kind of tempted, but not quite enough to spend the cash considering the selection of games available at this stage. At this stage, the DIY uses that people have come up with (like this one) are actually way more interesting then any of the 360's launch titles.

That being said, the possiblities for this tech to develop over time are pretty exciting and do seem to have the potential to change the UI landscape of computing overall for the better...maybe.

I am interested, though, in whether anyone here has had a chance to try and/or enjoy any of the Kinect titles on the market so far. I'm also thinking that it might be worth the purchase if only to get my girlfriend into gaming a bit so we can share the leisure time that has for a long time just involved me lying on the couch while she finds "better" and more "interesting" or "active" things to do.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 23, 2010, 05:45 AM

Bowling is well done, and quite fun. Played some football (soccer) as well.

This sort of stuff seems far more entertaining though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 24, 2010, 01:58 PM

Cool_Beanz
Baninated
Nov 24, 2010, 04:21 PM

One reason why I might buy a Kinect is to try out all those source codes the hackers are doing! That and playing Kinect sports =P

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Note to self: do not install chandelier in the centre of a living room with an 8' ceiling. Got it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2010, 05:28 AM

Joking apart, you do need a bit of space to play with this beast. I'd say that 6 feet from the TV is about the minimum.

ibook_steve
Nov 26, 2010, 03:10 AM

I can't believe Apple didn't buy this technology when they had the chance. Tony Stark's Mac would have been awesome.

In any event, there will never be any Microsoft hardware in my house (software, yes; unfortunately have to use Windows and Office) so I guess it will be a while before I experience it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I can't believe Apple didn't buy this technology when they had the chance. Tony Stark's Mac would have been awesome.

In any event, there will never be any Microsoft hardware in my house (software, yes; unfortunately have to use Windows and Office) so I guess it will be a while before I experience it.

Steve
I'm not a Microsoft fan, overall, but I love my 360 and Kinect could be one of the more important milestones in gaming/UI developement in quite some time. I'm looking forward to what it looks like a year from now.

I totally agree that I'd love to see this tech built into the Mac OS; it would do amazing things for both the desktop experience most of all, I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules