Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro 1.1 won't boot past grey screen

Mac Pro 1.1 won't boot past grey screen (Page 2)
Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2011, 06:17 AM

I tried running the AHT from the Mac Mini but could not get it to boot.

Any other ways to run a hardware test?

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 06:17 AM

Only by doing what it says on the disc. With your model, I think it's holding the D button.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2011, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Only by doing what it says on the disc. With your model, I think it's holding the D button.
Have tried this three times, each time it just boots into the installer for OSX 10.4.8, even when holding down the D key.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 07:44 AM

You really need to have someone look at the computer. You're probably can't really be fixed over the internet. At least I can't fix it over the internet.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2011, 01:56 PM

If you think you're having DVDRW issues, just go buy a cheap one from your local PC hardware shop and see if you can then boot your install DVD.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
May 24, 2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
If you think you're having DVDRW issues, just go buy a cheap one from your local PC hardware shop and see if you can then boot your install DVD.
Does the cheap internal DVDRW have to be a particular specification to suit the Mac Pro, or any standard internal DVDRW will do the trick?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 24, 2011, 08:33 PM

Pioneer is a good bet for a fully compatible, bootable one. DVR-11X.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2011, 09:29 PM

Just about anything should work and should be bootable.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 03:36 AM

Ok got a cheap internal DVDR drive and booted the AHT, came back with 1 error on the extended test:

4MEM/43/40000001: B: O C: O R: 3

So pulled the RAM 2 x 1GB ram modules and left the original 2 x 512MB and the AHT extended test came back clear!
( Last edited by Andy8; May 25, 2011 at 04:01 AM. )

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2011, 05:10 AM

That's a memory error, Try pulling pairs of DIMMs and seeing if the machines starts acting normally.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2011, 07:48 PM

Still stuck at a grey screen or getting a "hold the power button to reboot" message screen regardless of what I have done so far.

I think I best put this to one side for now and look at some new hardware soon.

I picked up a cheap dock so I can mount and use the hard drives with my MBA at least.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2011, 12:58 PM

With the 'faulty' RAM or slots now eliminated, will it boot from the install CD?

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2011, 05:58 PM

With the 'faulty' RAM or slots now eliminated, will it boot from the install CD?
Yes and it runs the AHT and gets the all clear, but when I try and do anything else it either hangs on a grey screen or shows the kernel panic style message on a black screen to hold down the power button to reboot.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2011, 06:02 PM

So installing OS X on a blank drive, with all other drives and peripherals removed, is still a no go?

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2011, 06:10 PM

So installing OS X on a blank drive, with all other drives and peripherals removed, is still a no go?
Correct.

I have even preinstalled OS X on another drive away from the Mac Pro, then slotted it in to see if it would boot and same issues as I described above.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 26, 2011, 06:24 PM

Just checking, because you don't say you've tried this since removing the bad RAM.

How about cloning the MBA to a Mac Pro drive and attempting to boot. That way we know it's an up to date version of Snow Leopard that should definitely boot on the Mac Pro.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
May 26, 2011, 06:56 PM

Just checking, because you don't say you've tried this since removing the bad RAM.

How about cloning the MBA to a Mac Pro drive and attempting to boot. That way we know it's an up to date version of Snow Leopard that should definitely boot on the Mac Pro.
I installed a fresh version of Snow Leopard onto a clean and tested 3.5" drive via my MBA, ran all the updates and tested it using my MBA for half a day - Same result when I put that drive into the Mac Pro.

Andy8  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2011, 09:24 AM

OK, so after 2 weeks of sitting gathering dust, I popped the clean install hard drive back into the MP 1,1 and it booted again! (safe mode though)

Sound is now not working at all which is weird, no speaker or mic, even connecting headphones does not work.

I won't spend anymore money on this MP, at least if it stable enough to stay on, it will serve media to my Apple TV until it completely dies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules