Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3G won't tether via USB (Bluetooth is fine)

iPhone 3G won't tether via USB (Bluetooth is fine)
gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2009, 11:26 PM

For some reason, I can't get my iPhone to show up as a network device on my iBook. Bluetooth tethering is working fine, and the same iPhone tethers via USB perfectly on my G5 tower.

I've got OSX 10.5.7 and iTunes 8.2.

I've tried rebooting both the phone and my iBook, and even tried repairing permissions for the heck of it. iTunes sees the iPhone when it's plugged in and it charges fine over USB so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the USB bus itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2009, 02:51 AM

What does the Network sys pref say? Does it see a new network interface when you plug in the iPhone an turn on USB tethering?

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 13, 2009, 08:11 PM

Most people experience it the other way round .. lol. Have you checked the usual stuff - ie. making sure you are tethering via USB only. Turn off bluetooth on the phone, plug it in and turn on tethering. It should ask you if you want to turn on bluetooth, hit no / USB only.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
What does the Network sys pref say? Does it see a new network interface when you plug in the iPhone an turn on USB tethering?
Like I said in my first post, it's not showing up as a network interface at all.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 13, 2009, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by kylef View Post
Most people experience it the other way round .. lol. Have you checked the usual stuff - ie. making sure you are tethering via USB only. Turn off bluetooth on the phone, plug it in and turn on tethering. It should ask you if you want to turn on bluetooth, hit no / USB only.
Yes, I've tried USB only and it just doesn't work. It's got to be something to do with the computer, as the same phone works via USB perfectly on my desktop system.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2009, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
Like I said in my first post, it's not showing up as a network interface at all.
Have you tired setting it up as a new network interface? Plug in the iPhone, hit the + button in the Network pref pane, etc.

Also, see if choosing a new location helps. Disconnect the iPhone first. Go to the Network pref pane. Regardless if you're using the automatic location or a predefined location, try creating a new one. Quit sys prefs. Connect the iPhone, launch the Network pref pane, etc.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Have you tired setting it up as a new network interface? Plug in the iPhone, hit the + button in the Network pref pane, etc.

Also, see if choosing a new location helps. Disconnect the iPhone first. Go to the Network pref pane. Regardless if you're using the automatic location or a predefined location, try creating a new one. Quit sys prefs. Connect the iPhone, launch the Network pref pane, etc.
I've tried adding a new interface, but the "Ethernet Adapter" option doesn't appear like it should. I haven't tried creating a new location, though, I'll give that a shot.

jackmarbles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2009, 07:44 PM

I have the exact same problem with my macbook. Since I have about a month left on my applecare, I went to a Genius bar for them to figure it out. I have been there twice for 2 hours each time. They now have told me to go home and back up my macbook so that when I return they can wipe it clean and reinstall everything. I will keep you posted. Let me know if you get yours working.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2009, 12:37 AM

Well today for the first time since my last post I picked up my iBook to try out the location idea that Simon had. I booted the machine up, went to my network settings and all of a sudden found that the Ethernet Adapter option was now available from the dialog box to add a new network connection. I plugged the phone in and it just plain works. I have no explanation for this at all.

The only thing of note is that I must have left the iBook asleep as the battery was completely dead. Does anyone think that running the battery out completely could have any effect on this situation? I would never think so, but it's just the only difference between this attempt and my previous attempt where I rebooted the computer with no success.

Strange.

pop.art
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2009, 01:54 PM

iBook 14", G4, osx 10.5.8, iphone 3.01. I'd love to get this working. I was able to add an ethernet adaptor option in network prefs (I named it iPhone), but it still won't recognize the phone. Says "The cable for iphone is not plugged in.". I have tethering engaged on the phone, and have tried bluetooth as well (different problem - phone and computer link but still not able to use as modem.
Help? Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules