Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Max Payne 3

Max Payne 3
gradient
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2012, 10:25 PM

Picked this up for cheap earlier this week, surprised there's no thread on it yet.

I got bored with Dishonored so decided to give it a whirl - fantastic game experience. More so than any game I can remember, it's like watching a movie (and a pretty good movie) where you get to take control of the character for all the bad-ass shootouts. As a result the actual gameplay is more or less arcade style but the storyline, voice acting and graphics are so engrossing that I don't even notice that as a problem.

My only complaint is that the transitions between cutscenes and gameplay is so seamless that I've actually gotten myself killed a couple of times because I didn't even realize that I was supposed to start killing people!

P
Dec 9, 2012, 04:15 AM

I think we talked about it back when it was released. I played it through, and as you said, the writing is good and the environment at least feels authentic - and original. The gameplay is just so generic. The original MP had something special in the shoot dodges and slow-mo things, but then everyone did that for a while, and now it feels stale, so they went with a regular cover shooter. It's still good, but not a patch on the old games.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2012, 02:46 PM

Still liking it, but you're right that the gameplay quotient isn't top-notch. I've actually found myself wishing, a couple of times, that I hadn't just been dropped into a gunfight because I was so into the story. This is the first game I've ever played where I wish the cut scenes were actually longer....never thought I'd be saying that!

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2013, 03:30 AM

Just bought the game for $15 during the Xbox Games on Demand Sale. Loved the first 2 games and figured $15 isn't too bad.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2013, 11:00 PM

I actually gave up trying to finish this game, I think. Tried to beat what I assume is the final battle about two dozen times. of course I could probably just cave and turn the difficulty down from hardest, but.... anybody got any tips?

I could search the interwebs but I was actually really into the storyline of this game and didn't want to stumble onto any plot spoilers.

P
Mar 6, 2013, 04:34 AM

If it is in the hangar and you can see the exit to the tarmac, that's just at the end, either the last battle before the final cutscene or one just before that.

The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

gradient  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2013, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
If it is in the hangar and you can see the exit to the tarmac, that's just at the end, either the last battle before the final cutscene or one just before that.

Ya, that's the part I was/am stuck on. I had the same strategy as you, too, but just couldn't find any success. I've got the 360 version so you could be right about it being easier with a keyboard and mouse - not sure.

Maybe if I'm bored one of these days I'll pop it back in and see if I can git 'er done.

Forum Links
Forum Rules