Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > how to make favicon.ico on a Mac?

how to make favicon.ico on a Mac?
Gordon Werner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2002, 08:30 PM

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered ... but how does one make a favicon.ico on a Mac ...

in case you don't know what I am talking about, the favicon.ico is the little icon that appears in the URL field on Windows PCs and in Netscape 7.0 on the Mac.

Thanks in advance!

Gordon Werner

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 29, 2002, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Gordon Werner:
I apologize if this has already been asked and answered ... but how does one make a favicon.ico on a Mac ...

in case you don't know what I am talking about, the favicon.ico is the little icon that appears in the URL field on Windows PCs and in Netscape 7.0 on the Mac.

Thanks in advance!

Gordon Werner
It's just a 16 x 16 picture.

http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/...s/favicon.html

MDiddy
Sep 30, 2002, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:

It's just a 16 x 16 picture.

http://www.webdevelopersjournal.com/...s/favicon.html

That makes no sense. I have a need to make favicons on a Mac, and I'm very interested too. what format would this 16x16 picture be in? the ico format? and if so, what apps create that format on a Mac?

Just stating that its a 16x16 picture is not helpful at all. If you don't know-don't reply....and if you do know-please be more descriptive.
"Litter is my most treacherous foe. I would like to eat its children."
-Drederick Tatum

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 04:18 PM

Favicons can be made using a variety of formats, but the Windows Icon (.ico) is probably the most typical.

GraphicConverter can take your pic and save/convert it to the Windows Icon format. You might need to reduce the amount of colors first (sorry, can't try it now to verify.)

You'll find GC at http://www.lemkesoft.de/

J

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 04:22 PM

Oh, found an old thread discussing this, too:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...threadid=99995

J

pixelghetto
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2002, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Gordon Werner:

Thanks in advance!

Gordon Werner
On a pc it's a case of making a 16x16 bmp image and renaming the extension to .ico instead of .bmp! I renamed em just using ftp software. Not exactely sure how this would be achived on a mac, make it in something like photoshop and rename the extension as i said!
Bork bork bork.

Forum Links
Forum Rules